How we will win the comp in 2024

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Reserve Grader
Non-system errors killed us in 2023. That is, individual player errors rather than errors in defensive structure or tactics.

Think Tuilagi's missed tackles, Keppie's clumsy hands, Harper rushing out of the line, Weekes dropping high balls, Jake's never-ending six agains and penalties.

I don't buy the excuse of players being gassed or losing the ruck. Tuilagi lacked tackling technique and desire. Keppie lacked coordination. Harper lacked speed. These were individual one-on-one errors that, in aggregate, cost us games.

I'm pleased that our recruitment is addressing this problem. We have let go of high-error players (Tuilagi, Keppie etc) and replaced them with low-error players (Lodge, Woods, Brookes etc).

Stripping 3-4 errors from our game each week will go a long way to winning more games.

We have as much strike as any team in the comp (except Broncos). If we can maintain more possession due to fewer errors, we will can give the comp a huge shake next year. Yes, that's easier said than done, but ridding ourselves of high-error players is a big step in the right direction.

Non-system errors killed us in 2023. That is, individual player errors rather than errors in defensive structure or tactics.

Think Tuilagi's missed tackles, Keppie's clumsy hands, Harper rushing out of the line, Weekes dropping high balls, Jake's never-ending six agains and penalties.

I don't buy the excuse of players being gassed or losing the ruck. Tuilagi lacked tackling technique and desire. Keppie lacked coordination. Harper lacked speed. These were individual one-on-one errors that, in aggregate, cost us games.

I'm pleased that our recruitment is addressing this problem. We have let go of high-error players (Tuilagi, Keppie etc) and replaced them with low-error players (Lodge, Woods, Brookes etc).

Stripping 3-4 errors from our game each week will go a long way to winning more games.

We have as much strike as any team in the comp (except Broncos). If we can maintain more possession due to fewer errors, we will can give the comp a huge shake next year. Yes, that's easier said than done, but ridding ourselves of high-error players is a big step in the right direction.
Welcome back@1978

Great to have you back

1978 was a great Manly year feathered friend

1978 was our 4th Great Manly Premiership win in our decade of dominance

Thanks for the Memories :h:

Yea mate I've loved the signings but more importantly the departures this year especially Tuilagi and keepie. I know where you coming from with Jake but that's not his fault it's the coaches and players around him fault because he can't be expected to play 80 mins week in week out he needs a 15 min stint on the sideline because then fatigue kicks in and his standards drop. But it's his team mates fault as well because they aren't good enough and 70 percent jake is better then 100% aloiai. In my eyes with those individual player errors at the top of that list is the 2 Josh's from Samoa. If Manly want to be competitive so much comes down to them.

Schuster has the potential to put on points, turn a game, change momentum the best of anyone in a comp and on big games or when you are behind in a low scoring wet day you need something special to get you over the line and he can be that difference between top 8 and top 4 team. But once again individual errors a plenty for Schuster.

For Aloiai, i believe he is very over rated and fits in to the keepie and tuilangi section of making errors at costly times. But once again has a high ceiling of an athletic middle forward who has proven the balance between a power and touch game a couple years back for Samoa as a starting lock and what Manly's been heavily critised for Lately is not having a great lock option as Jake is now more of a front rower.

Manly need to understand we probably have a 2 year premiership window or whenever DCE retires. You also got to have a year when you get close or loose a grand final to learn from the experience. So if we want to win we are going to need to have a big season and make top 4 then next year 2025 will be our best chance to win it.

If Aloiai and Schuster both don't fire we are without a lock and then 800k down the salary with Schuster which is a star player that an opposition would have over us already as an advantage on the team list. If any of these players don't give in to the team system and continue to make mistakes they should be granted a release.

If Manly are seriously not seeing any potential in Schuster playing second row by him not hitting tight lines whilst the outside backs wrap around him not the other way round and take the occasion tough carry out of his own end they should take a good hard look at getting him to dragons either now or when the mid season transfer is available. Even when he got dropped from first grade if you watch him play he's a ball player he's a five eight, he's just an unfit five eight and that's the sad truth. Dragon's need a 6, they need creativity in attack, Flanno knows him well as he was just at Manly and Tom and Jake were filthy at Schuster when he got the contract because that's Burbo's spot for the future as well as Cherry gave him a spray and he didn't respond.

Aloiai is just very similar to Keepie like some people will say how great he is because he runs hard tackles hard and puts on the odd good shot. But he makes too many handling errors, lazy high tackles and defence brainsnaps. I feel there is a lot of clubs that could go for a player like him, at dogs, titans and dolphins he would be starting lock for example and maybe pay like 400 - 500k. Also the storm could want a player like him but currently he is on like 600k for us and they will take him at huge unders around 350-400k.

Thoughts?

Great post mate. I like your thinking. However, I believe your logic will definitely get us into the top eight. A premiership next season might be a bit of a stretch though. Would love to be proven wrong though.

I’m thinking 2025 or 26. We are a long way away from Panthers or Broncs level.
If we can make top 6 and not just scrape in it will be a big step in the right direction.
A lot will depend on if Turbo is fully fit or just out there like a passenger he was in 2023.
If we miss the top 8 in 2024 does Seibold retain the coaching job???

If we can make top 6 and not just scrape in it will be a big step in the right direction.
A lot will depend on if Turbo is fully fit or just out there like a passenger he was in 2023.
Agreed, a couple more years yet for our best and brightest to reach their potential (if ever!), maybe a big recruit or two, and a full season of a confident and firing Turbo... it's not impossible, but unlikely under Seibold imo. (And surely, missing the 8 next year would be the end of the Seibold experiment.)

Re Broncos as a side note, I think they will struggle to emulate this year, or have any real sustained dominance like a Panthers or Storm dynasty. They're already losing Farnworth and Flegler. Reynolds is well and truly on his last legs. Haas just signed a long and comfortable deal. Not overly convinced with the vibes just yet...

Surely Panthers' appetite will diminish somewhat. Trouble at Souths. There seems to be an opening for a new champ in the very near future. In reality, it's just as likely to be almost anyone else...but there's always hope. And that's why we keep coming back for more torture!

If we miss the top 8 again Seibold will obviously be under pressure
Two in a row and coaches are looking at death row

The other question that will arise if we do not rise into the top 8 is ...
How well does Seibold handle pressure ???

A quote from one of the Great Motivational writers
William A Ward
PRESSURE CAUSES SOME MEN TO BREAK AND OTHERS TO BREAK RECORDS

We made the finals 2/4 years with Des and he still got sacked. If we miss the top 8 two years in a row Seibold will be shown the door and paid out for his final year.
For Seibold to make the top 8 he has to manage Turbo better. For example, reduce minutes in games we can't win, and stop him playing origin because he is injury prone.

Probably can still be in contention with Jake at 13 and Paseka , Sipley .,Bully and eventually Lodge to ideally produce their best up front but then need Alioia at the very least to provide something worthwhile there until Lodge can be available . Maybe Alioia can even be in the top prop billing again if not being considered as a 13
Then the continuing dilemma with Shu , Maybe Matterson and James can step up a bit and the hopeful handy acquisition with Waddell .Things have gone a bit quite with Brown
Things needed to go satisfactory in the backs also naturally with Turbo "s critical role and Garrick transitioning well to the centres .
Still some notable ifs and buts at this stage unfortunately , injuries or the injury factor always a key influencer also of course .
Some promising signs , some doubts , will stay on the more optimistic side and quite a few things are definitely heading in the right direction

We start by counting sheep jumping a fence till we fall into a deep sleep.
This is when we hit the Dreamtimes and the Manly Seaeagles are doing the lap of honour with Seaeagles supporters giving high 5's....and of course the Silvertail fans are amongst the action !!

OK the reality way -
Tom T stays fit and healthy for a season
The dummy half gets lit with Gordie making a Massive impression
The Schu plays like the bloke who was touted as a SOO in his 1st season
Brooksy and DCE work out a great combination
Forwards at least match the opposition to allow backs space and time

A bit of luck...the past few seasons EVERY big call has seemed to go "The other way"
Personally I am a fan the "You make your own luck" and this comes from fighting over a bone and wanting it more than your opposition so I will finish with the word "Attitude"

Personally I am a fan the "You make your own luck" and this comes from fighting over a bone and wanting it more than your opposition so I will finish with the word "Attitude"
Great summary feathered friend
The Word Excuses does not exist in the How to win premierships Manual

Bad luck is part of life and sht happens
The Good news is and there is always good news when we look for it

The Good news is that Bad luck is a lot better than No luck
Because We always have the opportunity to turn things around and make our own luck

And this is when Maxtas quote comes into play
Straight From maxtas Great vocal chords this is what defines teams that make it to the top 8
"You make your own luck" and this comes from fighting over a bone and wanting it more than your opposition so I will finish with the word "Attitude"

Last edited:
Did no one watch rugby league this year? We are miles off winning the comp in 2024 considering the age and ability of Penrith and Brisbane. The only way we can win is if all the other contenders get pinged for salary cap breaches and that ain’t gunna happen

With Turbo, Koula, Saab and Garrick in the backs, Manly really need to find a way to deliver a game plan that gives these guys space, and often.

There paxe will also create space and no one will catch them.

It's down to Seibold implementing the structures and game plan, the forwards doing their simple role effectively and consistently and DCE knowing when to pick his moments for off the cuff play, otherwise stick to a structure that utilises the backs strengths.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8