Is it a 2, 3 or 5 year plan??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Well, 3 years ago I thought Bob Fulton had a 5 year plan for our Eagles but Twenty and Cartwrong sure put us back to square one ( well not quite I guess).

Des Hasler ( funny the first time I haven’t typed De$ for 7 years) has the nucleus of a great side but let’s be serious there’s also a fair bit of dead wood.

Constrained by the Salary Cap fine Des will have to “ make do” for 2019 or discard a high profile player to gain any other player “ of note”, I think it’s unlikely now that we will lose anyone decent so we are stuck with what we have plus or minus maybe a few from last years Reggie’s ( Amone springs to mind as warranting an upgrade).

So as the heading asks is it a 2,3 or 5 year plan ???

I’d like to think that even with the current player group we’ll finish higher in 2019, maybe even close to the 8.

There will then be a cleansing of “ the wood” and some decent acquisitions at the end of 2019 with a decent shot at top 8 in 2020.

This could then lead to a real go at top 4 in 2021.

Any earlier would be a huge bonus but any later would see the Hasler move as unsuccessful ( in my opinion).

So what do you reckon Silvertailers, 2,3, 5 or another number ( and don’t be silly in saying we’ll make it in 2019, this will take some time).

2021, 22 and 23 will be the years we are contenders again. My expectations for 2019 aren’t high, just looking like a footy side and being competitive and fit will be enough for me. Will take 12months for Des to erase the bad habits formed under man baby Barrett.

We have a real coach again and I can’t wait!! Go Manly!!

I have thought about this for a little while since the announcement of Des but have not posted as yet. This is as good a thread as any. Someone else posted a similar thought process @Briza I think? Apologies if not you @Briza
I am unexpectedly excited but at the same time cautious about the Des announcement. I recall being absolutely over the moon at the demise of the Dogs and consequently Des, during his tenure at Canterbury. Like many, the Dogs immediately became my most hated team when he left us for them and I took great delight when they got beat.
What concerns me is that Des' ways of sweeping plays and forwards playing as halves fast became outdated and he did not have a plan B.
Why will this be any different back at Manly? Yes I know he knows the culture and is a Manly man but that does not mean that the rest of the pack has not "cotton on" to his plays.
I never thought that I would say this ever again, but I hope Des succeeds because of course this means Manly are doing well.
I think anything less than a finals appearance next year will be viewed as a failure and must be a genuine top 4 'contender' by 2020.

Well, 3 years ago I thought Bob Fulton had a 5 year plan for our Eagles but Twenty and Cartwrong sure put us back to square one ( well not quite I guess).

Des Hasler ( funny the first time I haven’t typed De$ for 7 years) has the nucleus of a great side but let’s be serious there’s also a fair bit of dead wood.

Constrained by the Salary Cap fine Des will have to “ make do” for 2019 or discard a high profile player to gain any other player “ of note”, I think it’s unlikely now that we will lose anyone decent so we are stuck with what we have plus or minus maybe a few from last years Reggie’s ( Amone springs to mind as warranting an upgrade).

I’d like to think that even with the current player group we’ll finish higher in 2019, maybe even close to the 8.

There will then be a cleansing of “ the wood” and some decent acquisitions at the end of 2019 with a decent shot at top 8 in 2020.

Any earlier would be a huge bonus but any later would see the Hasler move as unsuccessful ( in my opinion).

So what do you reckon Silvertailers, 2,3, 5 or another number ( and don’t be silly in saying we’ll make it in 2019, this will take some time).
I think that is a massive underestimate! Anything short of the finals this yr with this squad and des and singe in charge we'd definitely be looking at top 8 atleast. As for the cap penalty its only 330k its nothing...its just a lewis brown darcy lussick type signing, hardly the differnce between top 4 and missing the finals

I think that is a massive underestimate! Anything short of the finals this yr with this squad and des and singe in charge we'd definitely be looking at top 8 atleast. As for the cap penalty its only 330k its nothing...its just a lewis brown darcy lussick type signing, hardly the differnce between top 4 and missing the finals
Agree about the cap.
Myles, and all the season ended injuries in 2017, snake matai missing a whole season and then knt foran dogging it in previous years had us more hamstrung than where we are right now.

On paper we have a strong side, some deadwood here and there, although strong enough to make the 8 under a strong coach, defence 80% of what we’ve needed. Des will fix that and by 2020 or 2021 will push us back into a top 4 contender position

I have thought about this for a little while since the announcement of Des but have not posted as yet. This is as good a thread as any. Someone else posted a similar thought process @Briza I think? Apologies if not you @Briza
I am unexpectedly excited but at the same time cautious about the Des announcement. I recall being absolutely over the moon at the demise of the Dogs and consequently Des, during his tenure at Canterbury. Like many, the Dogs immediately became my most hated team when he left us for them and I took great delight when they got beat.
What concerns me is that Des' ways of sweeping plays and forwards playing as halves fast became outdated and he did not have a plan B.
Why will this be any different back at Manly? Yes I know he knows the culture and is a Manly man but that does not mean that the rest of the pack has not "cotton on" to his plays.
I never thought that I would say this ever again, but I hope Des succeeds because of course this means Manly are doing well.
I think anything less than a finals appearance next year will be viewed as a failure and must be a genuine top 4 'contender' by 2020.
Watmough on podcast said it was the Stewart Bros who created the plays at Manly. This might be why he didn't have anything new at the dogs.

Put a poll up Mark.
No I didn't mean put a pole up Mark but a voting one.
Results would be interesting.
I reckon years 3 and 4 will be our premiership window years.
I'm really looking forward to a greater role from Tommy under Des.
To be as good as GI or even better as a major strike player. Under Des he will leave behind his rookie mistakes.
DCE and Jake to flourish also.
Once we get over greenturds salary cap restrictions.
But Des can work with that adversity.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10