Is Luke brooks the piece we’ve been missing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Love Foz but at his age and current point of his career Brooks will be head and shoulders ahead.
Far better running game and a threat with the ball and can defend, Foz isn't the same player he was ..brave and footy smart but we are better off with Brooks
Given his height, that might be the first time Brooks has ever been described as "head and shoulders" ahead of anyone…

He's definitely a player with speed and skill, but I'm worried about his defence (like Mitchell Moses, he's always been a target in the defensive line) and durability. How many games did Brooks play last season? And how many did Foran play?

I think if Foran had still been at Manly in 2023, we might have booked a spot in the finals. We probably would have made it in 2022 too, when he was still here, if not for Jerseygate.

Think of this season’s Newcastle draw and the South Sydney close loss. Two games right there suited to Foran’s level-headed, direct approach.

Or the loss to the Titans, with Foran in their side instead of ours, or the Cronulla and NQ games at home.

Games that were crying out for his on-field ‘chief of staff’ role to DCE. Telling him what was good and what was not. Or telling some of his dopey teammates when to wake up and pull their collective fingers out and start playing football. Some of those good old ‘Runphuckya!’ moments.

It’s all water under the bridge now. At least we have one or two good longer term replacements in the wings.

Last edited:
Think that out of the 2 , D C E would be more suited at 7 on individual playing styles .
Then taking into account his more familiarity as a 7 at Manly , plus his really good 23 season overall .
Anything is worth looking at , though certainly will be starting D C E at 7 and Brooks as the 6 on all present indications
I was throwing up the idea of DCE 6 based there isn't much difference between the roles of 6 and 7. DCE could adapt to 6 easier than Brooks. If I remember correctly, DCE has played 6 for QLD.

For those playing along at home.

Brooks have played 5/8 14 times in his career (10 in 2022 and 4 in 2020).

Has had 4 bench appeareances and 186 at halfback.

Matters little though, as others half said, most of the time it is left and right these days.

DCE will play right, Brooks left

Luke Brooks is probably just one of the pieces that we've been missing.

I hate to say it ... but one of our own has been a missing piece too. A major missing piece. We all know who I mean.......

To win a premiership, yes you need talent and commitment. But you also need an element of luck when it comes to things like injuries and suspensions. In pretty much every year Manly have won the premiership, or at least made the Grand Final ... we've really had a good run with injuries to the key players.

If we could string a season where we start at pretty much full strength and then there is very little change to the line up each week bar the odd thing like Origin or giving players a rest, we do stand a very good chance of grabbing title No.9.

Great gearbox whichever number they wear. This should light up a magic backline.....assuming our forwards can hold the middle and we have Turbo on deck. Would challenge a Brisbane or Penrith.
Yep, power and guile with speed to burn from our backline in 24, exciting times ahead for sure.

I think if Foran had still been at Manly in 2023, we might have booked a spot in the finals. We probably would have made it in 2022 too, when he was still here, if not for Jerseygate.
The Foran Finals hopes 2022 and 2023 Perspective

Even before jersey gate struck in 2022 the inconsistent Manly team with Foran at 5/8 did not strike enough wins to dominate a top 8 position as a serious finals threat .
In 2023 The Gold coast Titans believed that Foran was their missing finals puzzle piece in their competitive roaster and they missed the finals as well

Last edited:
When we looked at our best this year we were going shot left, shot right, shot left. Players were changing roles depending on where we were at on the field. Brooks to 6 and Schu on an edge will add an extra dimension to this. If Seibs can get it to click it will be exciting to watch.

That said I liked the simplicity Arthur brought to the role. Hope he can fit in somewhere.

Luke Brooks is probably just one of the pieces that we've been missing.

I hate to say it ... but one of our own has been a missing piece too. A major missing piece. We all know who I mean.......

To win a premiership, yes you need talent and commitment. But you also need an element of luck when it comes to things like injuries and suspensions. In pretty much every year Manly have won the premiership, or at least made the Grand Final ... we've really had a good run with injuries to the key players.

If we could string a season where we start at pretty much full strength and then there is very little change to the line up each week bar the odd thing like Origin or giving players a rest, we do stand a very good chance of grabbing title No.9.
It was interesting when I read this. I immediately thought we actually have 2 major missing pieces. And I mean two pieces who are already here in the squad, though we probably have a few other pieces we need to find.

It was interesting when I read this. I immediately thought we actually have 2 major missing pieces. And I mean two pieces who are already here in the squad, though we probably have a few other pieces we need to find.
Get what you're saying HK, having Tom out for nearly half the season and then lose Paseka then the much maligned Ailoia who on his day can be really effective, then the killer blow losing Lodge at the end, having these 4 back on top of the new additions in Brooks and a smattering of assorted backline pick-ups together with Gordie coming of the bench, mate, this is something for Manly supporters to really salivate about for the coming 2024 season.

Get what you're saying HK, having Tom out for nearly half the season and then lose Paseka then the much maligned Ailoia who on his day can be really effective, then the killer blow losing Lodge at the end, having these 4 back on top of the new additions in Brooks and a smattering of assorted backline pick-ups together with Gordie coming of the bench, mate, this is something for Manly supporters to really salivate about for the coming 2024 season.
Agreed. First time since 2013 I have been really excited about our prospects for the new season. Not from the usual marketing hype or from our own expectations....but from the quality of players on board. Love our new look spine with Brooks and Cherry with very capable backup from Arthur and Humphreys. I really liked the simplicity and stability that we saw from Arthur towards end of the season. Also very impressed with Gordie on the bench. Speed out of dummy half was dazzling and what we have missed for quite a few years. Great dummy half combo with Croker. Re backup for TT.....well I think most supporters were blown away how well Tolu performed in that full back role last few games. This kid has amazing speed that I don't think he has discovered yet and with the extra space and growing confidence at FB will only get bigger, better and faster (reminds me a lot of Michael Jennings). So yes a very nice spine and backup for next year. Looking good.

Just on Josh A. Was watching the Manly v Storm game yesterday. Aloiai was terrific in that game. Strong hitups , plenty of post contact meters and rock solid defence. We just haven't got enough of it and it's been due to constant injuries. Until we get that sort of form out of him Paseka, Sipley up front we will struggle to win games. Surely it's time to move Jake up front with Keppie gone, Lodge doubtful , Woods please no.

If Lodge comes onboard, we just need 1 more blockbusting forward and I think we are gunning for at least a top 8 spot.
I thought Sipps and Bullemore really stood up towards the end of this season while Paeseka was great b4 he got injured. So I am sure these guys will step up well into next year. Alio Olio I think has another gear there but not seen this on a consistent basis yet. I really hope we do sign Alex Twal as he will definitely bring that hard nosed / workhouse / long minutes impact to the pack. With Jake and Croker, that will make three durable workhorses in the pack. Not had that in a long time. Like our 24 spine, forwards looking good also. (with a bit of luck with injuries)

Just on Josh A. Was watching the Manly v Storm game yesterday. Aloiai was terrific in that game. Strong hitups , plenty of post contact meters and rock solid defence. We just haven't got enough of it and it's been due to constant injuries. Until we get that sort of form out of him Paseka, Sipley up front we will struggle to win games. Surely it's time to move Jake up front with Keppie gone, Lodge doubtful , Woods please no.
yeah, spot on, think Aloiai's been playing busted for a while and well before his shoulder/arm popped out. We all know what Aloiai can bring to the team when fully fit, the Storm game reminded us on what he's really capable off.

No doubt there would be quite a bit of consideration at the present time whether Jake could revert more regularly to start as a prop . Then the additional grouping of Paseka , Lodge [ before not too long during next season ] Sipps and Bulemor most suited as prop options .
Just makes one wonder if Twal would really be needed then with Alioia still available and if Keppie does not move on .
Much could depend if a viable 13 can be found instead of Jake , 2 props on the bench with Gordie also most likely and another edge - utility on the bench .
Not taking into account injuries of course and the depth factor requirements .
Still a bit of gigging or re gigging before the final squad in nailed down one would think

yeah, spot on, think Aloiai's been playing busted for a while and well before his shoulder/arm popped out. We all know what Aloiai can bring to the team when fully fit, the Storm game reminded us on what he's really capable off.
Aloiai had a poor preseason, busted knee in world cup , had a few games than popped shoulder and playing injured, fully fit he is good getting us on the front foot , no passing hitups quick play the ball, Aloiai, Paseka, Lodge, Jake 20 min at lock move to prop , Bully , Toff pretty good prop rotation all fully fit

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10