Is Luke brooks the piece we’ve been missing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We would have been better off buying Api back from the tigers.

Api is the missing piece we have been missing for 4 years.
Never wanted him to be released personally, but funny you mention it as was thinking this during the tigers game yesterday watching him slot goals over that Garrick would struggle with, that he put the match winner over from the sideline was sublime.
Miss Happi Api in our colours.

We will find out next year. My only concern is his dubious defence. We have scored many a try against the tigers exploiting this. Hopefully Seibs who was previously a defensive coach has a plan to address this.

Manly can finally bring out best in much-maligned Brooks, says DCE​

Christian Nicolussi

By Christian Nicolussi

September 17, 2023 — 5.00am
Save

Daly Cherry-Evans believes Luke Brooks will flourish playing Manly’s expansive brand of football, and the much-maligned half will forge a lethal left-edge combination with $800,000 enigma Josh Schuster.
Brooks is headed for the northern beaches next season after failing to play finals football in 11 long years with Wests Tigers. The divisive Brooks was not helped by playing with 16 different halves partners during his roller-coaster stint at Leichhardt.

Brooks signs with Manly

Cherry-Evans, who played with five-eighths Schuster, Cooper Johns, Kaeo Weekes and Jake Arthur this season, is keen for some stability himself.

“Brooksy has always been a cool player to watch, and his best footy is exciting footy,” Cherry-Evans said. “He’s a left-footed kicker, he loves running the ball and he’s a brave defender – he doesn’t get enough of a rap for being as tough as he is in defence. Being tough in defence doesn’t mean you make all your tackles, but if you’re tough, you get the respect from your teammates.
Advertisement

“He’s been good in a side that has done it tough during his career. But I think he will flourish in the Manly environment.
Daly Cherry-Evans is confident Luke Brooks will flourish at Manly.

Daly Cherry-Evans is confident Luke Brooks will flourish at Manly.CREDIT: GETTY
“You have Jake [Trbojevic], Tom [Trbojevic], Schuster, people who can create space for other people. And the way we play our footy, that expansive footy, he will really enjoy that.
“I get the luxury of going into Origin camp and into Aussie camp, and you learn and hear different ideas; it keeps me thinking.
“With Brooksy having a change of coach, and being around different players, that will also really help him.”

The Sea Eagles have plenty of five-eighth options with Brooks, Arthur and Schuster, who finished the year in reserve grade.
Fans are still trying to work out if Schuster is best on an edge or in the halves, and while Cherry-Evans was noncommittal, he said he simply wanted him to knuckle down and become a regular first-grader.
Luke Brooks sinks South Sydney with a field goal in 2022, but the halfback rarely lived up to the hype and has been a punching bag for Tigers fans.

Luke Brooks sinks South Sydney with a field goal in 2022, but the halfback rarely lived up to the hype and has been a punching bag for Tigers fans.CREDIT: NRL PHOTOS
“He faced some adversity this year, and he had to get his body right,” Cherry-Evans said. “He put himself into a position where he didn’t finish the season in first grade and now he needs to get that mindset where he has to win his jersey back at all costs. I know he can do it.
“I know how skillful he is, and how much ability he’s got. He needs to keep that consistency, not just with his footy, but his mindset – he needs to stay hungry all the time, and if he does that, I know how good a footy player he will be.
Advertisement

“He can be a very good five-eighth or a very good back-rower. That can only be a good thing for Manly.
“Good sides have that luxury of moving players when things go wrong in games.
“It could end up being an awesome combo with him and Brooksy.”
The first outing for Cherry-Evans and Brooks will be in Las Vegas. The evergreen Cherry-Evans has only been to the desert party town once and knows he will need to stay a little fresher this time around.

In the meantime, Cherry-Evans, who was picked in the Prime Minister’s XIII during the week, remains hopeful of playing some Test football next month.​

“I said earlier this year I would hold off booking holidays, and I still haven’t,” he said.
“I’m ready to go. Last year I didn’t finish the way I wanted. ‘Nath’ [Cleary] got the starting Kangaroos gig and I couldn’t get a spot on the bench. I won’t be surprised if Mal [Meninga] goes with a similar team, but I’ll keep my hand up until I get a game.”

Prop and hooker are the two biggest weaknesses in our squad. Lodge went a long way to solving that before doing his ACL. Hooker is still a huge issue. I'm hoping GCKT can nail down the 14 and help to solve that.

I think the side will be stronger for having Brooks in it though.
Brooks is the one I'm really excited about and will add more potency to our already deadly backine.

Yea I’m not sure how we bungled that. He’s the best front rower in the game. Exactly what we’re missing
I could be completely wrong however it all went pear shaped after he called the ref something very inappropriate at the end of the loss against the knights at brooky in 2020 and des came down really hard on him (as he should have)and made him apologise and do community service. Not long after he asked for a release.

I could be completely wrong however it all went pear shaped after he called the ref something very inappropriate at the end of the loss against the knights at brooky in 2020 and des came down really hard on him (as he should have)and made him apologise and do community service. Not long after he asked for a release.
I think they released him on compassionate grounds as he needed to get out of Sydney.

This is the truth

Guess that the only slight unknown is that i am not sure if Brooks has played 6 role at N R L level previously .
Not a major difference between wearing No 6 or 7 these days with halfs generally controlling both sides of the ruck but no doubt a bit of an adjustment needed from him
Some pretty slick and capable 6 "s running around in most N R L sides , definitely went a bit backwards losing Foz in that role .
Then Turbo "s hopeful and much more regular presence at the back and to work in with Brooks 's style of play .
Again most optimistic outcome being able to contribute and be effective as well as say a Luke Keary style of play . And Definitely # being able to defend adequately .
Good individual player ability wise and good range of skills , plenty of experience now , important that he can hopefully go real well .

Guess that the only slight unknown is that i am not sure if Brooks has played 6 role at N R L level previously .
Not a major difference between wearing No 6 or 7 these days with halfs generally controlling both sides of the ruck but no doubt a bit of an adjustment needed from him
Some pretty slick and capable 6 "s running around in most N R L sides , definitely went a bit backwards losing Foz in that role .
Then Turbo "s hopeful and much more regular presence at the back and to work in with Brooks 's style of play .
Again most optimistic outcome being able to contribute and be effective as well as say a Luke Keary style of play . And Definitely # being able to defend adequately .
Good individual player ability wise and good range of skills , plenty of experience now , important that he can hopefully go real well .
How about playing DCE at 6, Brooks at 7?

I would go as far as saying that the DCE / Brooks combination is the best we have had since 2011. Foran was good for us but I do think Luke Brooks will be a better. The speed alone. In fact he might actually extend Cherry's playing life a few years. Really smart buy from the club.

How about playing DCE at 6, Brooks at 7?
Think that out of the 2 , D C E would be more suited at 7 on individual playing styles .
Then taking into account his more familiarity as a 7 at Manly , plus his really good 23 season overall .
Anything is worth looking at , though certainly will be starting D C E at 7 and Brooks as the 6 on all present indications

Will Brooks be a better option then Foran was ?
Love Foz but at his age and current point of his career Brooks will be head and shoulders ahead.
Far better running game and a threat with the ball and can defend, Foz isn't the same player he was ..brave and footy smart but we are better off with Brooks

Think that out of the 2 , D C E would be more suited at 7 on individual playing styles .
Then taking into account his more familiarity as a 7 at Manly , plus his really good 23 season overall .
Anything is worth looking at , though certainly will be starting D C E at 7 and Brooks as the 6 on all present indications
Great gearbox whichever number they wear. This should light up a magic backline.....assuming our forwards can hold the middle and we have Turbo on deck. Would challenge a Brisbane or Penrith.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8