It’s official... Des can coach....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
This was the first round squad, and their current status for the next round.

1Dylan Walker (injured - unavailable)
2Jason Saab
3Brad Parker
4Moses Suli (injured previously - bench)
5Reuben Garrick
6Kieran Foran (injured - unavailable)
7Daly Cherry-Evans
8Josh Aloiai (injured - unavailable)
9Lachlan Croker
10Martin Taupau
11Jack Gosiewski (injured - unavailable)
12Curtis Sironen (injured - unavailable)
13Jake Trbojevic

14Tevita Funa (available - not picked)
15Andrew Davey (injured - unavailable)
16Morgan Boyle (injured - unavailable)
17Taniela Paseka

IMO our current seventeen is the reason we are performing at a much higher level then we did in the first found rounds. Clearly, the only reason we have our current seventeen is because of injuries.

I agree with XV-1 EXCEPT on Croker who has improved massively since the early rounds. Obviously Turbo has been a huge difference since he came back, and is definitely the most influential player in the NRL. BUT out of the first round team (assuming they are all available - plus Turbo/Fainu/Lawton), I cant find a place for many of the currently injured players. Obviously Turbo and Fainu are one and nine, Foran is six, Aloiai is fifteen and potentially Lawton is fourteen. The rest should be fighting for a spot in the seventeen. (Perhaps Walker for Parker, Davey for Sipley etc)

I actually prefer the balance of our current seventeen as is. This seventeen wouldnt have happened except for the injuries that have occurred along the way. Arguably, Des planned to bring these players through anyway (Schuster, Harper, Keppie, Sipley, Haumole, Cust, Saddler) BUT he didn't pick them in the first round, in the first seventeen.

Read into this whatever you want, but you cannot argue this team wasn't how Des originally chose our original 2021 starting lineup. Its clearly very different now to what it was back then. Clearly its also performing much better then the first round team.
Funny that ...................

Also a bit of tongue in cheek Jay ... but do you think your title "Des can coach" might require a disclaimer asterisk ? .. for example

*Des can coach.

* As long as Tom plays ...
Also tongue in cheek (but in the same theme)

*Des can coach.

*As long as Tom plays...

*And Gosiewski, Boyle et al don't ...

2Jason Saab
3Brad Parker
5Reuben Garrick
7Daly Cherry-Evans
9Lachlan Croker
10Martin Taupau
13Jake Trbojevic

17Taniela Paseka

IMO our current seventeen is the reason we are performing at a much higher level then we did in the first found rounds. Clearly, the only reason we have our current seventeen is because of injuries.

I agree with XV-1 EXCEPT on Croker who has improved massively since the early rounds. Obviously Turbo has been a huge difference since he came back, and is definitely the most influential player in the NRL. BUT out of the first round team (assuming they are all available - plus Turbo/Fainu/Lawton), I cant find a place for many of the currently injured players. Obviously Turbo and Fainu are one and nine, Foran is six, Aloiai is fifteen and potentially Lawton is fourteen. The rest should be fighting for a spot in the seventeen. (Perhaps Walker for Parker, Davey for Sipley etc)

I actually prefer the balance of our current seventeen as is. This seventeen wouldnt have happened except for the injuries that have occurred along the way. Arguably, Des planned to bring these players through anyway (Schuster, Harper, Keppie, Sipley, Haumole, Cust, Saddler) BUT he didn't pick them in the first round, in the first seventeen.

Read into this whatever you want, but you cannot argue this team wasn't how Des originally chose our original 2021 starting lineup. Its clearly very different now to what it was back then. Clearly its also performing much better then the first round team.
Funny that ...............
Whilst piracy since the 1800’s has decreased global co2 emissions have dramatically increased. This is called correlation but we all know this is not actual causation. Like in this example the injuries and team changes are not the sole cause of our form improvement but there is certainly correlation. In reality the form improvement is likely related to many factors and one significant one would be the structures in place that relate to coaching which is point of this thread.

Whilst piracy since the 1800’s has decreased global co2 emissions have dramatically increased. This is called correlation but we all know this is not actual causation. Like in this example the injuries and team changes are not the sole cause of our form improvement but there is certainly correlation. In reality the form improvement is likely related to many factors and one significant one would be the structures in place that relate to coaching which is point of this thread.

2019-12-21-ancientaliensmeme-correlationcausation.jpg

Interested to read what your thoughts are on Cust at six over Schuster.
I don't mind Cust at six this round. Schuster has been playing well (mostly ... ) at backrow and has been combining well with Croker, DCE and Foran on that edge. Cust deserves an opportunity to start, and is also the closest player we have (like for like) with Foran. I think Des has made a smart choice here with Cust as six, and I can see Cust having a really good game. (if he plays a Foran like role). I guess we will find out on the weekend, but overall I think its a not a bad move.

My take - for what it's worth - is that 26 rounds is a long season. In 2019 we had an excellent year - a great year compared to 2018, even without Turbo.

Injuries are a given in the NRL, and I'm confident the players chosen in the first four rounds showed the coaching staff something at training to be selected.

At the end of the day, I couldn't care less how we have climbed out of the hole. The turnaround has been monumental and everyone - including the coach - deserves to be applauded for it.

However, if the boys go on and beat the Eels at Bankwest on Sunday - it sure is going to make it difficult for the "Des can't coach; he only got lucky" brigade to continue with their rhetoric. I mean, they can, but they'll appear entirely bloody clueless in doing so.

Haha “ Correlation tests for a relationship between two variables. However, seeing two variables moving together does not necessarily mean we know whether one variable causes the other to occur. This is why we commonly say “correlation does not imply causation.”
Dude I get it. The meme is actually a joke Joyce.
"Correlation is not causation" means that just because two things correlate does not necessarily mean that one causes the other. ... Correlations between two things can be caused by a third factor that affects both of them. This sneaky, hidden third wheel is called a confounder.

In this case the confounder can be identified as Tom Trbojevic and the team changes can be referenced as positive covariance as they are clearly positively related.

Or in laymans terms "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck"

You do a pretty good job beating yourself up with an idiot stick mate, and clearly don't need anybody elses help.;) Here is a picture of a duck though. Hope that helps mate @:cool: View attachment 18143
Yeah yeah. Just come out and say you think Des is past it and the form improvement is not attributed to coaching rather than this analogous nonsense. It’s your opinion just own it buddy. It’s all good it’s a forum!

Des has done a great job coaching us of late. I can definitely see us winning this week against Parra at Bankwest. A lot of that will be down to both improvements in team selection and changes in coaching structures implemented by Des and the entire coaching staff, in response to our abysmal start this season. Des has previously been the master innovator as an NRL coach. Recent games are demonstrating that he is somewhat returning to normal transmission. Of course "some" of the form improvement is attributed to coaching, but how significant is this factor alone?

What Des is doing right now takes me back to the vibe of 2006/2007 - for those old enough to remember, when Manly were growing rapidly into the dominant force of the NRL
I also note the shifts in attack recently there is far more depth to showcase the speed we now possess....just maybe we were far flatter previously as we lacked genuine speed out wide ?

Des has done a great job coaching us of late. I can definitely see us winning this week against Parra at Bankwest. A lot of that will be down to both improvements in team selection and changes in coaching structures implemented by Des and the entire coaching staff, in response to our abysmal start this season. Des has previously been the master innovator as an NRL coach. Recent games are demonstrating that he is somewhat returning to normal transmission. Of course "some" of the form improvement is attributed to coaching, but how significant is this factor alone?
1621427464681.jpeg

Whatever mate. I still think our team selection since round four has been by far the most important factor in our "monumental turnaround" (in the words of Kevin Ward). Des's coaching improvements and changes to coaching structures, have been of secondary importance in comparison. Happy to own that opinion, and will continue to do so.

2Jason Saab
3Brad Parker
5Reuben Garrick
7Daly Cherry-Evans
9Lachlan Croker
10Martin Taupau
13Jake Trbojevic

17Taniela Paseka

Funny that ...................
Beautifully argued. It is what I believe and have been trying to say but without the evidence you have listed.
DESpicable might be able to coach, as the heading of this thread announces, but his judgement on player talent in the early rounds was way off the mark.

My take - for what it's worth - is that 26 rounds is a long season. In 2019 we had an excellent year - a great year compared to 2018, even without Turbo.

Injuries are a given in the NRL, and I'm confident the players chosen in the first four rounds showed the coaching staff something at training to be selected.

At the end of the day, I couldn't care less how we have climbed out of the hole. The turnaround has been monumental and everyone - including the coach - deserves to be applauded for it.

However, if the boys go on and beat the Eels at Bankwest on Sunday - it sure is going to make it difficult for the "Des can't coach; he only got lucky" brigade to continue with their rhetoric. I mean, they can, but they'll appear entirely bloody clueless in doing so.
And happy to cop it. But that’s still a big IF.

Whatever mate. I still think our team selection since round four has been by far the most important factor in our "monumental turnaround" (in the words of Kevin Ward). Des's coaching improvements and changes to coaching structures, have been of secondary importance in comparison. Happy to own that opinion, and will continue to do so.
Hmmm this sounds like a balanced opinion. Good for you. At the end of the day none of us really know whether you see & hear quaking ducks or pictures of themselves in memes. I assume that the dude in the meme photo is you? I personally think Des is probably the best coach by a long way that we can attract to our club at the moment. Is he perfect? Definitely not.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11