It is just Unfair...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Storm's playing for nothing.  The Sharks are playing for nothing. Not much difference really.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Jethro link=topic=183119.msg260399#msg260399 date=1271997084]

The only bad thing that I can see is injuries to players that have to play them.

It's too late to kick them out this season as it would have been best to have found all of this cheating before a ball had been kicked this season.  The NRL could have then re-introduced a bye and give everybody 2 points. 

Not really.  The TV contract requires 8 games.
[/quote]

You are missing the point of what I was trying to say Mata. The TV contract may say 8 games but since both Manly and the Titans have already played them and earned our 2 points the hard way by beating them, it wouldn't be fair to us to have the other teams who have or haven't played them so far this season get 2 points for doing nothing by having the Storm kicked out now.  It would have been best to have found all of this cheating before a ball had been kicked this season and then kicked them out and introduce the bye to be fair to everybody.

hindsight is a wonderful thing

but what the nrl have done is the best thing they could have.

as for the nothing to play for later in the comp point - its not too dissimilar to teams who cannot make the 8. early teams have to beat them when they still had a hope of finals footy, later teams play them with nothing to play for.

Dogs lost 37 points for the same thing. Just take 30 points from them and allow the Storm to try to get to zero. At least they would have something to play for.

Chip & Chase link said:
Just pi$$ the Storm off for the rest of the year, anything less than that is just asking for arguments and allegations further down the track.
The big problem with that would be the State of Origin series, What would a QLD side look like without Slater Englis Smith & possibly Cronk.

It might be the only way the Blues win a series in the forseeable future but it would penalise a lot of fans.

Maybe Inglis could be reinstated as a NSW player considering his first game as a senior was played with a NSW schoolboy side before he transferred to play for a QLD one. He then played two games for Brisbane Norths (feeder club to Melbourne for 10 mins) and then played for Melbourne. This is another part of the News Limited joke!!!

Utility Player link said:
[quote author=Chip & Chase link=topic=183119.msg260412#msg260412 date=1272001149]
Just pi$$ the Storm off for the rest of the year, anything less than that is just asking for arguments and allegations further down the track.
The big problem with that would be the State of Origin series, What would a QLD side look like without Slater Englis Smith & possibly Cronk.

It might be the only way the Blues win a series in the forseeable future but it would penalise a lot of fans.
[/quote]

Don't really care. Queensland can still pick them if they like, last time I looked SOO wasn't controlled by a salary cap. Anyway using your argument NSW would be without Quinn, Hoffman, White, Finch and Bellamy....not that anyone would be worried about that.

There's no motivation for the opposition to even turn up,what happens to the for & against?? does it remain as normal what happens if teams miss the the semis because they got thrashed during the year to this mob.

Gallop keeps trotting out the its unfair on the other clubs that the Storm are playing with that roster, wtf

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE link said:
There's no motivation for the opposition to even turn up,

How do you figure that ? They turn up with the same motivation as every other week, to take home 2 pts

Allow the Storm to keep there current points and make them play every game with only 12 players on the field and 3 on the bench..lol

Look there is an easy solution to the problem of them being allowed to continue in the competition this year and be eligible for points. They just have to simply cut players to the value of $700K, or whatever the figure is that they are over the cap. The NRL know, or should know, the exact value of every current players contract including the rorting. The Storm lay that on the table and are obliged to honour the full value of those contracts. They then decide who they want to get rid of to get them under the cap whilst still been obligated to have 25 players in their roster. So if they have to cut half a dozen first grade players and then replace them with lower paid NYC, reserve graders, other clubs discards in order to stay under the cap, then they are back on an even playing field. Allowing the players to accept pay cuts this year is not an acceptable solution. The Storm cooked the books and should be made to honour the full value of those contracts. If they cut players then they should be made to pay those players out for the full value of the contract that they signed up for. If those players are able to go to another NRL club and sign a new contract then the value of their new contract can be deducted off what the Storm owe them, pretty much what is allowed now for players who transfer clubs mid contract. If the NRL do that then I wouldn't have a problem with them being able to continue in the competition and be eligible for points. Remains to be seen how loyal the Scum players are and how badly they want to stay together as a group once the axe is poised above the squad.

It won't happen C & C because Gallop and his lot have not the wit to think laterally.  They only know the knee-jerk reactive pose. 

Contracts exist with the players, even if they are overpaid. You just can't jettison players who live in Melbourne, with no chance of getting other revenue.

The way it is the players get paid to play, the Storm get revenue for gates and merchandise but cannot win the comp, which was the intention of the NRL.

Problems of course with potential betting stings. What galls me is that Manly beat them and got the two points the hard way. Some teams will be gifted two points as they won't be interested.

Canteen Worker link said:
Contracts exist with the players, even if they are overpaid. You just can't jettison players who live in Melbourne, with no chance of getting other revenue.

What has where they live got anything to do with it ? We've got NRL players in Auckland, Townsville, Canberra and Newcastle....all bigger holes than Melbourne. If you read what I said, the Storm should be made to honour all contracts signed, so they either retain the player in their squad and pay him to play or they cut him from their squad and pay out his contract. No different to plenty of other similar scenarios at other clubs once a player is on the nose. The Roosters were going to pay Willie Mason over $300K a year to play for Newtown just to get his stench out of the dressing room. The Storm players get the money they signed up for and then if they wish to go to another NRL club than good luck to them. The only proviso is that if they go to another club then the value of their new contract is taken off whatever the Storm owes them for their existing contract, that way they aren't  tempted to double dip. Of course it may be a windfall for some clubs if they pick up a player on the cheap subsidised by his Storm contract, but that is the luck/foresight of having a bit of room left in your cap. Happens already this way with midseason and mid contract transfers anyway.

C & C, I can see where you are coming from but there is life for a lot of people beyond football. They have partners who have jobs, kids at schools, houses they are paying off etc. To suggest to some that tomorrow they go is not feasible and would create other sorts of problems. I don't compare Willie Mason's case with these.

The rest of what you say makes good sense - but to make a cut of $700 000 (or more if you read the papers today) is not as simple as one would think.

No one is making them go anywhere. The Storm should be made to honour the contracts (presuming that the indivdual players weren't complicit in agreeing to illegal contracts). So if the Storm decide they have to cut X or Y player then X or Y get paid their full contract value, so they can stay in Melbourne if they like and have a fully paid holiday courtesy of the Storm. If my boss turned around and said we over our salary cap and you aren't allowed to turn up to work today, but we'll still pay your wage for the rest of the year/s we signed you up for, I'd hardly be crying into my beer drowning my sorrows. I'd be dancing a jig. If I decided that I had to prove myself in my chosen career then I'd be free to try my luck at another company and not be any worse off financially. It's not like I'm getting sacked and struggling to put food on the table.

I'm sure that it's not a simple procedure, but one that would be achievable nonetheless if they want a viable solution to the Storm continuing in the NRL this season.

Chip & Chase link said:
No one is making them go anywhere. The Storm should be made to honour the contracts (presuming that the indivdual players weren't complicit in agreeing to illegal contracts). So if the Storm decide they have to cut X or Y player then X or Y get paid their full contract value, so they can stay in Melbourne if they like and have a fully paid holiday courtesy of the Storm. If my boss turned around and said we over our salary cap and you aren't allowed to turn up to work today, but we'll still pay your wage for the rest of the year/s we signed you up for, I'd hardly be crying into my beer drowning my sorrows. I'd be dancing a jig. If I decided that I had to prove myself in my chosen career then I'd be free to try my luck at another company and not be any worse off financially. It's not like I'm getting sacked and struggling to put food on the table.

I'm sure that it's not a simple procedure, but one that would be achievable nonetheless if they want a viable solution to the Storm continuing in the NRL this season.

I think what you are proposing is a great idea, I do have 1 question though. How would you make it fair for the teams that played them at full strength before the decision and the teams that play them after with a reduced squad?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2