It was Des all along coaching thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who do you think will be coaching us next year?

• Total voters
You know something? What all of this has done has proven to me that I was right all along about Gould and Barrett.

I fully believed then as I do now that Gould sold Barrett's virtues as a coach to Bozo when we were looking for a replacement for Tooves simply because Gus wanted Trent to get head coaching experience somewhere away from Penrith where it couldn't potentially hurt the Panthers. And when Barrett had served his "apprenticeship", the plan was to bring him back to coach at Penrith.

Hook was sacked partly because Barrett was supposed to be Penrith coach in 2019. It wasn't the entire reason, but it was definitely part of it.

Then of course, it all came out that Nathan Cleary wants to be coached by his dad. And with Penrith so desperate to keep Nathan, that meant having to go after Ivan and try to get him back. And that in turn left Barrett out in the cold because he had, rather stupidly, resigned from Manly mid-season before he had signed anything with the Panthers.

There are two things out of this that are crystal clear. Phil Gould is a lying PoS because while he was trying to tell everyone that Penrith weren't interested in Barrett, it was the opposite that was actually true. And Barrett is an idiot because even in rugby league, you never.....never quit one job before you are guaranteed to have another to walk straight into. As a player that is OK because there will generally be an offer from somewhere. As a coach its sheer stupidity.

On one hand I do actually feel some sympathy for Barrett because Gould and Penrith really have screwed him over. But on the other hand I say more fool him for going about it this year how he did (i.e. resigning mid-season) and that sympathy is canceled out because they were all trying to screw over Manly.

You know something? What all of this has done has proven to me that I was right all along about Gould and Barrett.

I fully believed then as I do now that Gould sold Barrett's virtues as a coach to Bozo when we were looking for a replacement for Tooves simply because Gus wanted Trent to get head coaching experience somewhere away from Penrith where it couldn't potentially hurt the Panthers. And when Barrett had served his "apprenticeship", the plan was to bring him back to coach at Penrith.

Hook was sacked partly because Barrett was supposed to be Penrith coach in 2019. It wasn't the entire reason, but it was definitely part of it.

Then of course, it all came out that Nathan Cleary wants to be coached by his dad. And with Penrith so desperate to keep Nathan, that meant having to go after Ivan and try to get him back. And that in turn left Barrett out in the cold because he had, rather stupidly, resigned from Manly mid-season before he had signed anything with the Panthers.

There are two things out of this that are crystal clear. Phil Gould is a lying PoS because while he was trying to tell everyone that Penrith weren't interested in Barrett, it was the opposite that was actually true. And Barrett is an idiot because even in rugby league, you never.....never quit one job before you are guaranteed to have another to walk straight into. As a player that is OK because there will generally be an offer from somewhere. As a coach its sheer stupidity.

On one hand I do actually feel some sympathy for Barrett because Gould and Penrith really have screwed him over. But on the other hand I say more fool him for going about it this year how he did (i.e. resigning mid-season) and that sympathy is canceled out because they were all trying to screw over Manly.

OR .... Barrett resigned because after 12 months of Penn failing to provide the promised resources he had enough and forced the issue .....

Didn't seem to be much of an issue for him in 2017 did it.

Excuses. Nothing but excuses.

Face it Woodsie......Barrett was a $hit coach and he's made his own bed with this.

IN 2017 he had Fulton doing the jobs of head of football .. Recruitment Manager ... and salary cap manager ...... so no, it was NOT a proble in 2017 ... and we have seen how the salary cap management worked out.

And whether he was a good or bad coach is irrelevant to fanciful stories of machaevellian plots by rival coaches

I think you are on to something here Holden. I distinctly remember Gould encouraging Barrett to leave mid season. He obviously followed the advice.

I think you are on to something here Holden. I distinctly remember Gould encouraging Barrett to leave mid season. He obviously followed the advice.

Now that I agree with ...... Gould is on record as saying Barrett spoke to him about his frustrations ..... for me it in the realm of probability that Gus's advice would have been along the lines of if you feel strong enough about it then resign ... one of two things will happen ... you will get action .... or not ...

I met baz good country bloke mate played wirh him at gregs. But he way out of depth for first grade. Anyhow whats everyone thoughts on des coaching to improve squad.
* tommy - mobility to short kicks and early in defence, getting caught defending in line. Attacking beast needs to be more shelfish in attacking 20.
Jorge - too slow off ground - weak in air. Did lead nrl in run metres in first 14 rounds of 2017.
Walker - centre out and out. Defense is poor at times. Off contract worth reinvestment ?
Kelly - potential superstar centre.great swervw and step. Defence lets opposite centre get outside on him too much.
Suli - needs to get fit - strong and good fend. Can't read in defence.
Elgey - streaky attacking player - defence poor - sound kicking game.
Dce - leader of team - needs to take ball to line more- good defender. Kick early in attack in tests was obvious.
Jake - next manly legend - plays like 6 for a lock. Sometimes tries too hard.
Sironen - injury prone - very good defender and runs fantastic lines close in attack. Hands let him down.
Joel thompson - workhorse - defence on line needs alot of work.
Marty - explosive runner - need to be more selective with off loads. Defence can be lazy.
Api - good dummy half runner - good defender - passing slow and poor at times.
Afb - explosive forward - discipline lets him down at times - needs to drop pounds.
Hodkinson - experinced - good goalkicker - mobility biggest issue.
Corey waddell - boom junior - injury problems - unproven.
Tanginoa - big, strong - big contributions off bench.
Paseka - young very green - mobilty is issue. Huge player.
Fainu - poor defender - good vision - not quite ready.
Goewiski - aggresive, runs good lines, discipline and hands very poor.
Perrett - motivation key factor - good odd load. Can be very lazy.

I met baz good country bloke mate played wirh him at gregs. But he way out of depth for first grade. Anyhow whats everyone thoughts on des coaching to improve squad.
* tommy - mobility to short kicks and early in defence, getting caught defending in line. Attacking beast needs to be more shelfish in attacking 20.
Jorge - too slow off ground - weak in air. Did lead nrl in run metres in first 14 rounds of 2017.
Walker - centre out and out. Defense is poor at times. Off contract worth reinvestment ?
Kelly - potential superstar centre.great swervw and step. Defence lets opposite centre get outside on him too much.
Suli - needs to get fit - strong and good fend. Can't read in defence.
Elgey - streaky attacking player - defence poor - sound kicking game.
Dce - leader of team - needs to take ball to line more- good defender. Kick early in attack in tests was obvious.
Jake - next manly legend - plays like 6 for a lock. Sometimes tries too hard.
Sironen - injury prone - very good defender and runs fantastic lines close in attack. Hands let him down.
Joel thompson - workhorse - defence on line needs alot of work.
Marty - explosive runner - need to be more selective with off loads. Defence can be lazy.
Api - good dummy half runner - good defender - passing slow and poor at times.
Afb - explosive forward - discipline lets him down at times - needs to drop pounds.
Hodkinson - experinced - good goalkicker - mobility biggest issue.
Corey waddell - boom junior - injury problems - unproven.
Tanginoa - big, strong - big contributions off bench.
Paseka - young very green - mobilty is issue. Huge player.
Fainu - poor defender - good vision - not quite ready.
Goewiski - aggresive, runs good lines, discipline and hands very poor.
Perrett - motivation key factor - good odd load. Can be very lazy.
Des will tweak with everyone to get the most out of their games
Don and some sand dunes and bot camps will trim three years of piss off them, improving line speed and reflexes
Crusher will replace anyone that does not tow Des's line
Simple really, sounds like a premiership in the making

Des will tweak with everyone to get the most out of their games
Don and some sand dunes and bot camps will trim three years of piss off them, improving line speed and reflexes
Crusher will replace anyone that does not tow Des's line
Simple really, sounds like a premiership in the making
Yeap, its our interchange where weak. I reckon we may get some good buys before march kick off.

Probably

I had the Hasler mail too but it was so “ out there “ that I thought NFW!!

Oh so very wrong !!!
I think Cleary was more out there than Des... his son just extended for five years and he’s been offered the Penrith job from 2021. The Tigers would have to release him if he was coming here... but why would he sign with us when he’s been released due to the Panthers locking him in? Never going to happen anywhere in the NRL... he’d just sign on with the Panthers two years early... ala Des with the Dogs in 2012.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8