It was Des all along coaching thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who do you think will be coaching us next year?

• Total voters
I met baz good country bloke mate played wirh him at gregs. But he way out of depth for first grade. Anyhow whats everyone thoughts on des coaching to improve squad.
* tommy - mobility to short kicks and early in defence, getting caught defending in line. Attacking beast needs to be more shelfish in attacking 20.
Jorge - too slow off ground - weak in air. Did lead nrl in run metres in first 14 rounds of 2017.
Walker - centre out and out. Defense is poor at times. Off contract worth reinvestment ?
Kelly - potential superstar centre.great swervw and step. Defence lets opposite centre get outside on him too much.
Suli - needs to get fit - strong and good fend. Can't read in defence.
Elgey - streaky attacking player - defence poor - sound kicking game.
Dce - leader of team - needs to take ball to line more- good defender. Kick early in attack in tests was obvious.
Jake - next manly legend - plays like 6 for a lock. Sometimes tries too hard.
Sironen - injury prone - very good defender and runs fantastic lines close in attack. Hands let him down.
Joel thompson - workhorse - defence on line needs alot of work.
Marty - explosive runner - need to be more selective with off loads. Defence can be lazy.
Api - good dummy half runner - good defender - passing slow and poor at times.
Afb - explosive forward - discipline lets him down at times - needs to drop pounds.
Hodkinson - experinced - good goalkicker - mobility biggest issue.
Corey waddell - boom junior - injury problems - unproven.
Tanginoa - big, strong - big contributions off bench.
Paseka - young very green - mobilty is issue. Huge player.
Fainu - poor defender - good vision - not quite ready.
Goewiski - aggresive, runs good lines, discipline and hands very poor.
Perrett - motivation key factor - good odd load. Can be very lazy.
Pretty fair summation ,although I believe AFB's pounds are what make him so hard to tackle ,and what breaks the 1st defender....

CB57529B-559C-43FD-A218-79955C4B80FB.jpeg
Nice touch from Brookvale Pub and their bring back Tooves sign - they have included “Des Awesome too”

I wonder if Des will take the risks Barrett was never prepared to try for one reason or another. He never tried Hastings at 5/8 but that was just stubbornness. He never tried Kelly at 5/8 and I think he has the subtle passing skills that could send Walker and Tom T. into open space. He never tried Tom Wright on the wing and only once in the centre (when he left St George players standing), but that's too late. He didn't get Anderson into the top 30 when he had the chance and when we needed a speedy wing man, instead getting a fat Suli who could have been left in the Reggies until he lost weight and showed his skills in '19. He never tried Parker on the bench covering back row forwards and backs (far too slow for a wing man but he never woke to that either).

I know Barrett had serious injury issues, but when it was obvious Manly weren't in the hunt for the finals, he could have tried a few innovative strategies with what he had but chose the safe and slow process instead I'm sure Des will be looking more closely to trying players out in different positions to see how they fare. If they don't seem to fit after 3-4 games then change them back. But Barrett never tried other than to place someone in a position and leave them there even when they weren't succeeding such as Parker, Croker, Matt Wright on the wing etc.

Looks like Barrett is starting to get nervous.

As they say ‘never take the first offer’

I met baz good country bloke mate played wirh him at gregs. But he way out of depth for first grade. Anyhow whats everyone thoughts on des coaching to improve squad.
* tommy - mobility to short kicks and early in defence, getting caught defending in line. Attacking beast needs to be more shelfish in attacking 20.
I don’t agree. I was getting sick of Tommy’s crab like runs last season.

Des was basically the one who invented the practice of having a guy on the bench who'd never get used.
Frank Stanton did that at international level years ago.

Just ask Ray Brown about his experience in 1979. Both he and the late Allan McMahon were never used off the bench in three tests vs GB that year. Net result, Brown is officially not an international of the Western Suburbs club, only Manly.

Or John Harvey, test reserve in the third test vs NZ in 1978. Not used. Therefore John Harvey is officially not an international of our club, or any club.

Even Terry Randall wasn’t used at all in the first test of that series. Obviously saving them for club games.

Cranky Franky.

Hes fast coming to the realization he can't show up to his new job while still being paid at Manly! Haha!!
Whilst he's contracted at Manly he can't take an offer to be Cleary's assistant at Riff, unless he negotiates down and Penn agrees, or he walks away.
That is, if he has an offer to go to Riff to be Cleary's assistant. Riff have such great facilities and abundance of staff and need a **** load more

Whilst he's contracted at Manly he can't take an offer to be Cleary's assistant at Riff, unless he negotiates down and Penn agrees, or he walks away.
That is, if he has an offer to go to Riff to be Cleary's assistant. Riff have such great facilities and abundance of staff and need a **** load more

I can't see Penrith shafting Ciraldo from stand in coach to punted being completely.

Ciraldo will be the Panthers assistant coach, not Barrett.

Looking forward to watching Moneyball again. First time I saw it, Des had just left. Billy Beane’s approach reminded me of Des’s approach to finding and building a team when you’re light on for resources.

I can feel another premiership or two in the offing.

I can't see Penrith shafting Ciraldo from stand in coach to punted being completely.

Ciraldo will be the Panthers assistant coach, not Barrett.
We are talking about the Riff
They need a Head Coach - Ivan, Six Assistant Coaches, another 12 Assistant Assistant's Coaches, at least 6 witches hats picker-uperers, Gym Cleaners, desks for players and coaching staff, jacuzzi, and of course a Panthers Poker Machine Discount Card
So Ciraldo and about twenty four other assistants are needed and that is where Baz wants to go.
The problem is, Penn is holding off letting him go to protect our club (and why not), so Baz can't go anywhere else unless a deal is done which could take weeks or months, or he walks and concedes
An interesting issue.
I read the Crap about the head coach title issue, from a corporate security point of view, the New Coaching Staff are plotting to deliver a Premiership in October, Baz is leaving in June, potentially to a competitor, therefore the Club needs to protect their intellectual property whilst honouring their contract by having Baz do anything but get involved in the October Plan, whilst still paying what he is entitled to.
The Moral of the story is a Contracts Manager should ensure this type of crap does not get repeated, with a 12 month notice period being limited to the football seasonal year it was given!!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8