Ivan Cleary Gone from Penrith

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So gus had a five year plan, sacked players like Jennings and lewis, hired and fired Ivan and Barrett and the panfars had one good season with several average ones esp. with crowds. Playing devils advocate does gus have any fault in this mess or is he untouchable?
Yeah I am a fan of Gus and I know he has done a great job with the junior system at Penrith however the on field results haven't been great.

Also both Jennings and Lewis have both consistently played origin and been great for the roosters and sharks respectively since leaving the panthers.

From what info I could gather from a couple of ex players. They were actually frustrated with Des and I think the playing group of 2008 and 2011 legends were starting to question Des's rigid coaching style. When Toovey took over they were all quite happy about the change and saw Toovey as a breath of fresh air, as he was a bit more open to ideas and more of a play what is in front of you kind of coach. They liked him the same way some liked Brad Arthur, because when you are an assistant coach you spend more quality time with players and develop strong bonds as you are working together week in week out and it is easier for the assistant to play good cop with the head coach being bad cop. This probably helped us make the final in 2013. Unfortunately after 2013, Brad Arthur had spent most of that year white anting Toovey and took a deal with Parra for 2014, with salary cap issues and boardroom struggles starting to take their toll and many of the older playing group were very unhappy with the way DCE's management were screwing the club constantly for more money and Glen was seen to wear the brunt of that. They didn't have a huge problem with DCE personally but were annoyed none the less. By this stage Toovey's honey moon period was over and they started to question his ability to take it to the next level, but they still loved the bloke and had the utmost respect for Toovey as a person. Brad Arthur had also made sly approaches to stars to make the switch as he realised the club was under immense salary cap pressure. Since the DCE & Foz debacle and DCE's deal, pretty much all of our players are looking after themselves financially and no one is taking unders to stick together anymore. One of the players actually told me that Foz asked him after he had signed with Parra "Mate, Do you reckon Brad will be any good as a coach?" So that says how much he knew or cared about Brad Arthur being coach. Thats how we have ended up with Barrett.

Personally, I don't think Gus intended to sack Cleary until toward the end of the season. Barrett had the Manly job sewn up long before Ivan was on the chopping block. If Gus didn't rate Barrett, he'd have (a) never had him near the joint, and (b) sacked him as an assistant coach long before the middle of last season.

G'day all,I think if there was any rumblings about Cleary earlier in the season he would be our coach next year as i'm sure he was sounded out.I think Barrett was signed and sealed long ago.Kind of funny really as if they weren't in such a rush to shaft Toovey maybe they could of got Cleary after all as it was widely speculated that he was approached.
cheers mike

All interesting stuff guys. But in the end its all conjecture. There are arguments both ways but we may never know what was in the mind of Gus The Gouldern One

One things for sure @conanu the decision that $Forme made to go to the Squeals was nothing to do with the Dalai being a better coach, and ALL about 1.3 Million dollars a year for 3 ( or was it 4) years.

Manly was never going to be able to afford two players at that level.

Asked what the players thought of Cleary’s dismissal, Gould said: “We have a simple philosophy here, players play, coaches coach, administrators administrate. We don’t do each other’s job.”

Hey Gus, administrators ADMINISTER

So gus had a five year plan, sacked players like Jennings and lewis, hired and fired Ivan and Barrett and the panfars had one good season with several average ones esp. with crowds. Playing devils advocate does gus have any fault in this mess or is he untouchable?
Well if Griffen doesn't work out then Gus has to man up and take the clipboard himself if he is fair dinkum, otherwise his tenure will just be another failure

Personally, I don't think Gus intended to sack Cleary until toward the end of the season. Barrett had the Manly job sewn up long before Ivan was on the chopping block. If Gus didn't rate Barrett, he'd have (a) never had him near the joint, and (b) sacked him as an assistant coach long before the middle of last season.
Didn't Gus say earlier in the year "Barrett is ready for a head coach gig in the NRL" (or words to that effect)?

Your post makes a lot of sense @conanu and it certainly seems that what you are saying is correct from the outside looking in.
Yeah mate, alot of it is legit info. But people are wondering if Gus rated Barrett, Gus absolutely rates Barrett very highly, this is why Bozo went in so hard to get Barrett. Personally i'm not so sure these 2 dinosaurs know a good coach from a rubbish one. I guess time will tell. But believe me Gus was pissed off that he didnt get to keep Barrett.

Yeah mate, alot of it is legit info. But people are wondering if Gus rated Barrett, Gus absolutely rates Barrett very highly, this is why Bozo went in so hard to get Barrett. Personally i'm not so sure these 2 dinosaurs know a good coach from a rubbish one. I guess time will tell. But believe me Gus was pissed off that he didnt get to keep Barrett.
Weidler reckons that Gus was very pissed off to lose Barrett, and that Gus was not even informed of, or consulted about, Barrett being "moved on" when Barrett committed to Manly:

It is worth explaining that Taylor has board support, but what is not known is that Cleary and Pascoe, who is now the Tigers chief executive, were so close that they worked together to move Trent Barrett on once he had committed to Manly.

What's more, they did it without the knowledge or the approval of Phil Gould. Ultimately that worked against Cleary. It wasn't the reason he was not required, but it played a part.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...lla-sharks-20151024-gkhob6.html#ixzz3pZlh3b1o

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6