Jackson Hastings

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
he certainly has the mongrel that Matt Parcell seemed to lack ... I haven't bagged Hastings signing ... I thought he was hot and cold when he played for the chooks ... if we can encourage his hot side he could become a great No 9 for us ... I didn't like his in the face of Jamie Lyon but if he gets in the face of some of the hot heads in opposition teams I wont mind

Joe, the only reference I have seen to "Barrett doesn't want a running hooker" was a tweet from some numbnut. Has this been verified or is it another negative myth that is entering Silvertails folklore as fact?

It seems a strange thing for any coach to say in the modern game.
To be honest I don't know...that was why I said supposedly.As to why it may be said,I can only think that maybe they don't want someone who looks to run a lot and overplaying their hand(Farah anyone?) which can cause confusion amongst teamates who want the ball and confuse themselves about when they should run or pass(not talking about when the markers get caught out of position for a continuation of momentum)Someone who comes off the bench and has a dart when defences are tired is another thing but not from a starting 9.Personally I only want the 9 to run when markers are caught out and a bench player who can have a dart when teams are tired later but that is just me...

To be honest I don't know...that was why I said supposedly.As to why it may be said,I can only think that maybe they don't want someone who looks to run a lot and overplaying their hand(Farah anyone?) which can cause confusion amongst teamates who want the ball and confuse themselves about when they should run or pass(not talking about when the markers get caught out of position for a continuation of momentum)Someone who comes off the bench and has a dart when defences are tired is another thing but not from a starting 9.Personally I only want the 9 to run when markers are caught out and a bench player who can have a dart when teams are tired later but that is just me...

Agree. I don't think Parcell ran enough, and even if he did the problem could be solved by saying to him "don't run so much".

The notion that this was a reason to sell him to England just seems non-sensible to me.

The first thing I noticed when Hasting debuted was his competitive nature....a part of the game you are either born with that cant be coached.
The second thing was options - seems to pre meditate prior to getting the ball what he will do - not playing whats there and often taking the wrong options...
Thirdly noticed a major contribution to this was playing a long second to Pearce in relation to decision making...creating self doubt and indecision.
Fourth thing that needs the most work is arrogance - I like confidence but when it crosses over to cocky is a massive negative that will filter through to not just the individual, but the team...
Personally think he will come good at Manly and offer plenty, not as convinced he has a top shelf footy brain, but is a born competitor...something lacking recently that needs to be instilled in the side again - a contagious element that is a Must in Rugby league...potentially great signing.

At almost any other NRL club, Api would not be the first choice hooker IMO, he doesn't have the passing skills (especially left to right which is almost non-existent). Fact is that he only won a premiership because Luke got suspended. Souffs were in that good form at the time they could have trotted out Mario Fenech to play hooker and still would have won.

As for Hastings.....has he actually ever played hooker before? But then again, these days he probably wouldn't even have to pack into a scrum and if he did it would probably be at lock. Hooker these days is nothing more than the main dummy half.

Hastings has the skills (plus he's a good goal kicker which we badly need), but it remains to be seen I guess who plays hooker.

Y
Agree. I don't think Parcell ran enough, and even if he did the problem could be solved by saying to him "don't run so much".

The notion that this was a reason to sell him to England just seems non-sensible to me.
Yeah true, but I guess if they felt they could get an upgrade in their opinion, then you pull the trigger .....maybe they felt he could not change...

Y

Yeah true, but I guess if they felt they could get an upgrade in their opinion, then you pull the trigger .....maybe they felt he could not change...

My issue or point isn't why or should they have flicked Parcell. My issue is that someone has started the myth that one of the reasons was Baz didn't want a running hooker.

This is ridiculous for 2 main reasons.

1) No coach from the u/8 up to NRl would say something so stupid without pages of notes putting it into some context.

2) Parcell didn't bloody run enough in the first place.

S
My issue or point isn't why or should they have flicked Parcell. My issue is that someone has started the myth that one of the reasons was Baz didn't want a running hooker.

This is ridiculous for 2 main reasons.

1) No coach from the u/8 up to NRl would say something so stupid without pages of notes putting it into some context.

2) Parcell didn't bloody run enough in the first place.
So why do you think they got rid of him?

S

maybe because he didn't steer the team .... he looked lost most of the time ... he passed well most of the time and tackled well .... he wasn't creative .... and dare I say h ... he didn't run enough!

S

Don't really know, but my opinion would be they simply didn't think he was up to NRL standard and wouldn't get there any time soon. His demise probably wasn't planned but the opportunity of Leeds suddenly needing a rake sealed his fate and opened the door for his exit.

Without any established top quality hookers on the market this year I think they are happy to play trial and error with Api/Hastings/Lussick for 2017, and if none have cemented a spot by round 20 make a play for a quality hooker for 2018.

Ok last post..I never said they got rid of him for running too much,I said they got rid of him as he is a running hooker.At Ipswich his success was built on a free reign as a runner etc,at nrl level he can't do that and looked lost as what to do,he did not know what he should be doing in our attack,hence the experiment to see if he can cut it is over....

Ok last post..I never said they got rid of him for running too much,I said they got rid of him as he is a running hooker.At Ipswich his success was built on a free reign as a runner etc,at nrl level he can't do that and looked lost as what to do,he did not know what he should be doing in our attack,hence the experiment to see if he can cut it is over....
agree,at Ipswich he played under walkers coaching and free running was the go there,and they rocked:rock:

agree,at Ipswich he played under walkers coaching and free running was the go there,and they rocked:rock:
The NRL defense is a lot tighter than the loose QLD cup defense and so it was a lot harder for Parcel to dominate for us like he did with Ipswich .

Hastings is a good player but is he a hooker?

We all saw this year what trying to make a centre into a 5/8 goes like.

You would have thought they would have been once burnt twice shy.

I think most halves can make good hookers . Walker is a runner and not a playmaker and that is why he failed at 5/8

He wasn't bought to play hooker .. he was bought because he can play football, cover depth in the halves and backs and was cheap.

It was simply mentioned that he could also have a go at hooker. May not happen but I hope it does. I am keen to see how he goes.

The only reason all halves don't make outstanding hookers is their size and the heavy defensive load req'd in the middle.

Toovey and Monaghan are two in our recent history that made successful transitions.

He wasn't bought to play hooker .. he was bought because he can play football, cover depth in the halves and backs and was cheap.

It was simply mentioned that he could also have a go at hooker. May not happen but I hope it does. I am keen to see how he goes.

The only reason all halves don't make outstanding hookers is their size and the heavy defensive load req'd in the middle.

Toovey and Monaghan are two in our recent history that made successful transitions.
Jackson does have the size to take the impact in defense @ 185cm and 95kg and at 20 years of age he has more bulking up to do

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11