Josh Aloiai, and membership discussions.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Local ain't necessarily cheap .. in the paper today ... the rich 100 players ... it mentioned that the 16 year old Latu Fainu was signed to a $1.3 million 3 year deal .... years before he will be able to play NRL.

And that wouldn't be covered by NRL grants I believe ...

So even if a talent is local ... you still have to pay market value and look after them for years before they start to repay ... and then after 2 games they want an upgrade ..
I take your points

Local may not be cheap....but it is generally cheaper.

Still got to pay for the good players.

Personally, I’m not basing my posts on the idea that he is the instigator; that’s completely unfounded. I’m basing it off the fact that he keeps putting himself out there. He’s no better footballer than a guy like Junior Tatola or Mark Nichols but those two just go about their business and let the football do the talking. Oshay is just too noisy for a player of his standing the game.
To much noise definitely, never heard much noise from Joe Galuvao with his religious beliefs when he was playing footy,

@Snake woke up 2 weeks later on Saturday and still has his feelings hurt. Harden up mate. Tell us what Josh has done that’s illegal? Targeting 1 bloke unfairly is uncalled for.
Hasn’t done anything illegal and my feelings aren’t hurt…just don’t like Aloiai…thanks for caring so much about what I think though…appreciate it.

Attachments

• 765C7A0F-1EC0-4EA6-8B3B-DDD33E850682.png
    765C7A0F-1EC0-4EA6-8B3B-DDD33E850682.png
    916.3 KB · Views: 23
  • B141627B-7693-4A48-A12F-E3C2695565EE.png
    B141627B-7693-4A48-A12F-E3C2695565EE.png
    938.9 KB · Views: 23
Not so sure of that in terms of the playing roster.

I don't think there is a "high" turnover of top quality players in the league. But that is a subjective opinion.

The way to build up a contender is cheaper homegrown talent - not to pay overs for established talent.

I'm interested to hear why you think otherwise. Can only assume you are referring to those clubs that are assumed to go over the salary cap?
It was more tongue in cheek than anything, watching the chooks earlier, listening to the commentators bang on about the strength of their prop rotation, watching Lodge score and looking at the talent they have across their roster, (what cap) thinking of their seemingly open and never ending cheque book, so your assumption was pretty close.

I was also thinking there’s no loyalty anymore and it wouldn’t matter if you were able to build from within as the wealthier clubs can and will just pinch (purchase) the talent, while being able to retain theirs. a) because they seem to have systems in place that allow them to take advantage of and or bend the cap rules to the limit, coupled with a bottomless pit of coin and b) because the young talent will follow the yellow brick road in any case.

I think I‘m just a little disillusioned at present and missing the good old days, I understand sports and life in general is now more about money than ever before, if you cast your mind back to our most recent run of success, it was built off the back of club spirit, the desire to win premierships with players taking haircuts to stay together, displaying loyalty to each other and the purpose, it allowed us to built premierships of the back of it, that just doesn’t seem to be part of the framework anymore (especially with what’s recently transpired) the power house clubs rule the roost because they can. They just open the cheque book and purchase the talent (off cap) while at the same time we haven’t seen to much happening to improve our roster, why? our cap supposedly, the same cap that doesn’t seem to stop other clubs, but our club seems to lack the flexibility, creativity and desire to compete in and attract players, why? because our owners either won’t spend the money to improve our squad or just aren’t interested and or willing to spend what it takes. I can only speculate that there more interested in making money as opposed to spending money and as such don’t have the passion to do what it takes to build a competitive side capable of winning us another premiership.

This is getting ridiculous
Anyone here who cannot see the impact of Manly missing key players will be happy 2023 as these other sides will be within 5% of where they are today and we will jump 25%
Maybe a betting man - but get on for 2023

2021 was camouflaged by Turbos freak run of form and reality hit home early in the season when he was easily being shut down by opposition defences whilst the remainder of the squad provided little else to compensate and our defence and resilience were deficient. Can’t understand players constantly rushing up out of the line in defence. We can now see where we are really at as a squad compared the other sides and 10th with 4 games to go says it all. The rot had set in well before Jersey gate. Plenty of excuses but IMO none truely valid.

Last edited:
It was more tongue in cheek than anything, watching the chooks earlier, listening to the commentators bang on about the strength of their prop rotation, watching Lodge score and looking at the talent they have across their roster, (what cap) thinking of their seemingly open and never ending cheque book, so your assumption was pretty close.

I was also thinking there’s no loyalty anymore and it wouldn’t matter if you were able to build from within as the wealthier clubs can and will just pinch (purchase) the talent, while being able to retain theirs. a) because they seem to have systems in place that allow them to take advantage of and or bend the cap rules to the limit, coupled with a bottomless pit of coin and b) because the young talent will follow the yellow brick road in any case.

I think I‘m just a little disillusioned at present and missing the good old days, I understand sports and life in general is now more about money than ever before, if you cast your mind back to our most recent run of success, it was built off the back of club spirit, the desire to win premierships with players taking haircuts to stay together, displaying loyalty to each other and the purpose, it allowed us to built premierships of the back of it, that just doesn’t seem to be part of the framework anymore (especially with what’s recently transpired) the power house clubs rule the roost because they can. They just open the cheque book and purchase the talent (off cap) while at the same time we haven’t seen to much happening to improve our roster, why? our cap supposedly, the same cap that doesn’t seem to stop other clubs, but our club seems to lack the flexibility, creativity and desire to compete in and attract players, why? because our owners either won’t spend the money to improve our squad or just aren’t interested and or willing to spend what it takes. I can only speculate that there more interested in making money as opposed to spending money and as such don’t have the passion to do what it takes to build a competitive side capable of winning us another premiership.

Agree with just about everything you say .. but I'm not certain the causes are all money related ...

Some clubs are just very professional, and very good at managing their salary caps ... others, like Manly, just appear to be bloody awful.

And as good a coach as Dessie is/was ... his record in relation to salary caps is less than stellar ... eg How he left Manly in 2012, how he left Bulldogs 2018, and the unknown but concerning position we currently seem to be in ....

Add to that his recruitment and retention at the Bulldogs was horrific ... and has been less than impressive this time around at Many ... and you start to discount money as the main contributing factor.

Add of course ... success breeds success .. players want to play for winning teams ..

PSS .. I also don't buy into the view that certain clubs pay under the table ... for this to be true you would also have to believe that 10, 20, 30 players, their wives, girlfriends, family and friends can all keep a secret ... and none of the sacked or disenchanted players have ever done a whistleblower .. remember, 95% of all tax cheats are caught due to being dobbed in by pissed off family and friends ...

Agree with just about everything you say .. but I'm not certain the causes are all money related ...

Some clubs are just very professional, and very good at managing their salary caps ... others, like Manly, just appear to be bloody awful.

And as good a coach as Dessie is/was ... his record in relation to salary caps is less than stellar ... eg How he left Manly in 2012, how he left Bulldogs 2018, and the unknown but concerning position we currently seem to be in ....

Add to that his recruitment and retention at the Bulldogs was horrific ... and has been less than impressive this time around at Many ... and you start to discount money as the main contributing factor.

Add of course ... success breeds success .. players want to play for winning teams ..

PSS .. I also don't buy into the view that certain clubs pay under the table ... for this to be true you would also have to believe that 10, 20, 30 players, their wives, girlfriends, family and friends can all keep a secret ... and none of the sacked or disenchanted players have ever done a whistleblower .. remember, 95% of all tax cheats are caught due to being dobbed in by pissed off family and friends ...
I also agree with most of what you’ve added, apart from the PSS, it’s not quite where I was coming from, not suggesting it’s under the table, perhaps more inline with creative accounting propositions and or future opportunities, nothing to do with occurring on the books, that can, does and will be used as inducements or top ups outside of the playing contract, not illegal I’m sure, bit like tax minimalisation as opposed to tax evasion, its how the rich get richer and the poor get the picture, crafty accountants earn top dollars because they can structure tax affairs with the appropriate framework to be deemed minimalising not evasion, probably no different to good player agents, legal teams and their contract work, they can establish privileges for players that are highly sort and highly paid via the appropriate framework to avoid quote “clubs paying under the table”.

Just made me think about Sam Burgess and recall the caption in one of the threads I read the other day, (another Des Doozy) from memory Crowe mentioned something like, ” I can open any door in the world for you” that’s the perfect type of example I was referring to.

Last edited:
I also agree with most of what you’ve added, apart from the PSS, it’s not quite where I was coming from, not suggesting it’s under the table, perhaps more inline with creative accounting propositions and or future opportunities, nothing to do with occurring on the books, that can, do and have been used as inducements or top ups outside of the playing contract, not illegal I’m sure, bit like tax minimalisation as opposed to tax evasion, its how the rich get richer and the poor get the picture, crafty accountants earn top dollars because they can structure tax affairs with the appropriate framework to be deemed minimalising not evasion, probably no different to good player agents, legal teams and their contract work, they can establish privileges for players that are highly sort and highly paid via the appropriate framework to avoid quote “clubs paying under the table”.

Just made me think about Sam Burgess and recall the caption in one of the threads I read the other day, (another Des Doozy) from memory Crowe mentioned something like, ” I can open any door in the world for you” that’s the perfect type of example I was referring to.

So we agree ... we just have to get better at our "creative" accountancy ....

Yes 100%, but it also requires someone to facilitate the opportunities and foot the cost.

And that brings to mind another point ... I have not heard the term TPA's all year ...

Have they all disappeared into the abyss .. they were in the news every day the last few years

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10