Judiciary results after Souths game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The hit, in which Matai’s arm appeared to slip up off the ball toward Burgess’ head, sparked an all-in melee.

Coach Geoff Toovey was seemingly at a loss on Tuesday morning how to approach the Matai charge – arguing the system was geared against success at the judiciary.

And Matai’s teammates made their feelings known on the tackle itself, rallying behind the hard-hitting former New Zealand international.

“Are you allowed to swear? That was f****ng awesome man,” winger Jorge Taufua said of the hit.

“I love playing outside that guy. When he pulls it off, I just lose it.

“I loved it.”

From Manly

We're taking early guilty pleas on all four charges from Fri night. Fa'aoso will cop 8 weeks, Matai 1 and Snake is free to play. #gomanly

Berkeley_Eagle said:
From Manly

We're taking early guilty pleas on all four charges from Fri night. Fa'aoso will cop 8 weeks, Matai 1 and Snake is free to play. #gomanly

Surprised they didn't fight Skivvies BUT with the BRL bias against him he'd probably lose and be out for 2 weeks

So maybe the rest will do him good anyway.

AND give us a chance to see someone in the wings in his spot

Was Mario calling Burgess a grub for the grapple ??

Re: early guilty please - I think that's fair in all cases. Let's just cop it.

Fenech calling people grubs what a laugh. That pot plant wouldn't have ever gotten on the field in this day and age. Who says too many hits doesn't cause brain injury Mario is a walking example of it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-30/matai-a-judiciary-target-says-teammate/4659858?section=sport

Matai a judiciary target says team-mate

Team-mate Daly Cherry-Evans believes Manly centre Steve Matai is facing an NRL suspension because of his history and fearsome reputation.

Matai was charged with a grade one careless high tackle on South Sydney's George Burgess in Friday night's loss at Brookvale Oval.

The hit, in which Matai's arm appeared to slip up off the ball toward Burgess' head, sparked an all-in melee.

Coach Geoff Toovey was seemingly at a loss on Tuesday morning how to approach the Matai charge - arguing the system was geared against success at the judiciary.

And Matai's team-mates made their feelings known on the tackle itself, rallying behind the hard-hitting former New Zealand international.

"Are you allowed to swear? That was f****ng awesome man," winger Jorge Taufua said of the hit.

"I love playing outside that guy. When he pulls it off, I just lose it.

"I loved it."

Half-back Cherry-Evans was less colourful, but just as clear when asked about the tackle, claiming Matai was paying a price for previous sins.

"I thought it was a cracker of a hit," Cherry-Evans said.

"...(I am) very surprised that he's been charged.

"We see those sort of tackles week after week and no one else seems to cop any grunt from it.

"It's just because, unfortunately, Steve's built up a bit of a resume when it comes to the judiciary.

"That one, I thought was pretty fair and he should be right to play hopefully."

The Sea Eagles have until midday (AEST) on Tuesday to decide whether to fight Matai's charge, as well as two charges against prop Richie Fa'aoso for dangerous throws on Greg Inglis.

Toovey was adamant he had yet to make a decision and seemed torn.

The Manly coach said he had not spoken to referee's boss Daniel Anderson about the fallout from Friday's spiteful clash at Brookvale Oval, but did speak to former referee Russell Smith, who reviewed the game, and got nowhere.

"As I said, it's just a waste of time. Why bother," Toovey said.

According to Toovey, fighting Matai's low grade charge was nearly impossible as the burden of proof was on the Sea Eagles to prove there was no contact with the head or neck, leaving them at the mercy of what the various camera angles can pick up.

"We've looked at it 1000 times with different angles (and) you can't positively say he did or he didn't (make contact with the head)," Toovey said.

"The bloke who he tackles (Burgess) jumps up and gets into the barney just after it so... come on, please.

"...And unfortunately you've got to prove your innocence.

"How can you do that when the camera angles aren't there? They'll just speculate that you did hit him."

With an early guilty plea, Matai would miss Monday's clash with St George Illawarra while Fa'aoso faces between eight and 10 matches out for his combined charges.

AAP

well if you have to prove your innocence they should have gone in with footage of other 'high shots' from this weekends games and ask why none of them are being charged. Have to say I am disappointed we are just rolling over again. I would rather we fought the charges and lost instead of just giving in. Very defeatist attitude. How about if we started turning up for games with that sort of attitude, would people be happy to accept that?

These clowns aren't going to listen to anything other than the case itself. There is no definitive proof that Matai didn't at some point contact the cat's head. if we defended this he will get 2 weeks and miss the roosters game, not worth it.

How bad is that Tooves expresses obvious disappointment and frustration with the officiating from Friday night, including the role of the video referees, but despite that, the NRL appoint the same two video referees to Manly's very next game.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
From Manly

Gawd, that's absolute b/s.

The club expects courage from our players every week.

How about showing some at the judiciary.

Club lying down faster than a burgess milking a penalty.

Sounds like Tooves looked into challenging Matai's charge and concluded it would do no good. I hardly think our coach would take it lightly.
Have a rest Stevie. Sonny Bill is scared.

niccipops said:
Sounds like Tooves looked into challenging Matai's charge and concluded it would do no good. I hardly think our coach would take it lightly.

Pfffft.

What a load of rubbish.

2V should tackle this codswallop in the same way he played.

I'm maintaining the rage! Geoff can pm me his reasons if he likes.

This has GREEBURG'S fingerprints allllll over it!

globaleagle said:
niccipops said:

Pfffft.

What a load of rubbish.

2V should tackle this codswallop in the same way he played.

I'm maintaining the rage! Geoff can pm me his reasons if he likes.

This has GREEBURG'S fingerprints allllll over it!
Well nobody is listening to Tooves. We need more cement trucks on the hill.
Also, instead of Tooves tackling the codswallap I'd prefer Matai to tackle Greenberg. That would be epic.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6