Kaeo Weekes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
His best option, imo, is to try to turn himself into a halfback. There are more opportunities at Manly in this position. DCE can't go on forever.
He has the skills and pace to be a halfback. Whether he has the 'motor', the grit and the defence I'm unsure about.
Pretty sure that he was tried as a 7 in a trial a couple of seasons ago and struggled a bit , particularly in defence . Koula had a go on the wing also and was a bit average also but look how well he is coming on now or for some time now so guess that everything is relative and certainly when Weekes natural ability is taken into account .
Apparently was going quite well as a 6 at Flegg level last season and thought that he would be able to make a fairly smooth transition there in i st grade but that did not quite happen , admittedly against a red hot Panthers outfit .
Actually also thought that he had similar attributes or could be compared to a young Nicko Hynes and guess that is also the concern that it could be just a matter of time before he can go to another level and compete well and consistently at a top level .
Really should have shown some better form and involvement in his i st grade opportunities this season , maybe he still can produce it but also looks like not a great deal of opportunity at Manly in the short term .
Would still prefer him to stay for at least one more season though and see what eventuates from that .
Really prefer him ahead of Jake Arthur but that is another matter of course .

Weekes started off well and then lost his Mojo
Will he get it back at Manly or get it back at another club
Will he be a great 1 , 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 14 ?
Will he be a one game Wonder ?

Message to Kaeo ...
Give it your best shot Kaeo Weekes
and do not ever die Wondering
1693537956317.png

Seems to me that coaches get stuck in seeing players only in certain positions and dont widen their vision.

This happened with Gutherson. It also happened with players like Tom Wright, where he could only be seen as a five eighth. I know some will suggest RU and the Wallabies are a much lesser standard (personally I disagree with that assessment), but Wright joined the Burmbies, found himself on the wing and then full back and has been a regular in the Wallabies side. Had Manly's coach been a little more flexible he may have found Wright was suited to those outside positions.

Same here applies to Weekes. The kid has talent. He's evasive and seems almost as quick as Koula. Yet our coaches have been stuck in the idea its either full back or five eighth. Maybe in time he'll develop in those positions but surely we've have a dearth of wing and centres for years. Wing has similar needs to full back, good ball catcher, returning the ball, speed, evasiveness and its a great position to introduce a speedy back into the top grade. Also speed and evasiveness at centre is always being sought. Yet not once has Weekes been tried in those positions that I can recall. This inflexible positioning issue is losing us good players.

The games that I saw Weekes play this year against the Riff and the Whinging worms told me that in my opinion he is not yet ready for first grade. He got badly exposed in these games and was well out of his depth.

I hope he stays because he has some really good skill. If he leaves then I understand that too.

We need players committed to our cause!

I find it very odd he was never given a run on the wing this year. Tuipolotu and Vaega aren't exactly great defenders so I don't think Kaeo would have gone much worse there. His quickness and agility could have served us well on the flanks

Schu and him can both go ...... DUDS

Sorry, no offence. I meant that in teh nicest possible way

I find it very odd he was never given a run on the wing this year. Tuipolotu and Vaega aren't exactly great defenders so I don't think Kaeo would have gone much worse there. His quickness and agility could have served us well on the flanks
At a guess he would get rag dolled bringing the ball back

Has the skills and ingredients to be a much better centre than Parker.

Don’t know if he has the desire and patience

We need someone better than Brad next year. I simply can’t watch him squander and fumble around another season. He has peaked and he didn’t have to climb

Seems to me that coaches get stuck in seeing players only in certain positions and dont widen their vision.

This happened with Gutherson. It also happened with players like Tom Wright, where he could only be seen as a five eighth. I know some will suggest RU and the Wallabies are a much lesser standard (personally I disagree with that assessment), but Wright joined the Burmbies, found himself on the wing and then full back and has been a regular in the Wallabies side. Had Manly's coach been a little more flexible he may have found Wright was suited to those outside positions.

Same here applies to Weekes. The kid has talent. He's evasive and seems almost as quick as Koula. Yet our coaches have been stuck in the idea its either full back or five eighth. Maybe in time he'll develop in those positions but surely we've have a dearth of wing and centres for years. Wing has similar needs to full back, good ball catcher, returning the ball, speed, evasiveness and its a great position to introduce a speedy back into the top grade. Also speed and evasiveness at centre is always being sought. Yet not once has Weekes been tried in those positions that I can recall. This inflexible positioning issue is losing us good players.

Do you believe that young players should never ever be dropped on the basis of form they display at NRL level?

He's had 12 NRL games and hasn't yet shown that he's up to the task of being a starting NRL player. It doesn't mean he won't ever be a very good or even great NRL player, but he needs to demonstrate in the pre-season and/or in reserve grade that he has what it takes to unseat one of our incumbents.

That, or he moves to another club to get that opportunity. Either way, if he keeps improving then I think he'll come good.

Do you believe that young players should never ever be dropped on the basis of form they display at NRL level?

He's had 12 NRL games and hasn't yet shown that he's up to the task of being a starting NRL player. It doesn't mean he won't ever be a very good or even great NRL player, but he needs to demonstrate in the pre-season and/or in reserve grade that he has what it takes to unseat one of our incumbents.

That, or he moves to another club to get that opportunity. Either way, if he keeps improving then I think he'll come good.

Isnt it obvious players need time. Koula has hardly been a stand out since he game to grade until recently and now we are seeing the benefits. Players need time and game experience to develop. Look across the Sea Eagles players and most needed time to develop. Ben Trbojevic who many were dismissing a year back is now settling in very well, despite injuries. Saab has learned to be more than just fast. Sometimes one has to bite the bullet. Weekes would have been no worse than the wing performances this year and probably given time better. Have to say it again and again it seems. Patience. Immediate gratification is a foolish expectation

Isnt it obvious players need time. Koula has hardly been a stand out since he game to grade until recently and now we are seeing the benefits. Players need time and game experience to develop. Look across the Sea Eagles players and most needed time to develop. Ben Trbojevic who many were dismissing a year back is now settling in very well, despite injuries. Saab has learned to be more than just fast. Sometimes one has to bite the bullet. Weekes would have been no worse than the wing performances this year and probably given time better. Have to say it again and again it seems. Patience. Immediate gratification is a foolish expectation

Coaches are paid to win games in the here and now, not next year or in three years' time. To do this they have to pick their best available 17 players from a squad of 30. They are not obliged to give endless opportunities to rookie players in the hope they will eventually come good. Especially when there are other players currently capable of doing the job the coach wants them to do.

Koula demonstrated from his very first NRL matches that he had the speed, physicality and toughness required of an NRL player. Weekes hasn't demonstrated this in the 12 NRL matches he was given to date and was dropped. It's not a big deal, he's only 21 and he'll get more opportunities, but he's obviously got some work to do... Starting with bulking up a bit.

No, they played him at centre v the Riff. Like a lamb to the slaughter.

No, they played him at centre v the Riff. Like a lamb to the slaughter.

Unsure who you're talking about here. But if its Weekes, he played five eighth in the Round 5 match against Penrith. Harper and Parker played in the centres. If you're talking about Wright, he played one game in the centres against St George and scored a magical try. Had a good game.

Both players struggled first up at 5/8 no question. Its a tough position, a link position with a lot extra pressure. First up match against the Premiers he faced two outstanding rep halves. Not surprising he struggled as a debutant in that position.

I suspect some expect promising juniors to be champions as soon as they're promoted to first grade. Rarely happens. Did with Toovey, and DCE was outstanding from the start, though he was 22 when he played his first premiership game. Weekes is still only 21. I remember decades ago when Terry Randall played his first games. He was an average centre. Look what he became as he moved to the forwards and toughened up. It takes time and when we expect immediate results then spit the dummy when it doesn't happen instantly and let them go, often we've shot ourselves in the foot.

No one knows if Weekes will be an outstanding player. However we know he has the skill base. That's innate and most players don't have it. So what do you do? Let them go and bring in an established middle of the road player or stick with the kid for a while and see if he comes up diamonds? Me? I'd stick with the kid for a year or so. See how he develops.

As the saying goes, you can’t keep them all (unfortunately).

Now that the season is over, look at who we’ve kept instead of despairing over who we’ve (had to) let go:

Koula - resigned him despite rugby union trying tempt him to the dark side. He’s really started hitting his stride lately & showing us what he’s got.

Olakau’atu- - showed more consistency this season & looks to have finally worked out to hit the ball running & to pass to his outside backs.

Schuster - okay, not a great year for him but I believe he’ll come back better for it.

Saab - always reliable for a try when in the open & has definitely improved his hit ups.

This (IMO) shows the club recruitment & retention department knows what they’re doing in deciding who to keep & who to let go.

Sure Fainus x 2, Fifita, Tuitavake & now (maybe) Weekes all/some/none may turn out to be brilliant, but we can’t hold onto all of them given the balancing act under the salary cap & aggressive player managers constantly pushing for more $$$$$.

Unsure who you're talking about here. But if its Weekes, he played five eighth in the Round 5 match against Penrith. Harper and Parker played in the centres. If you're talking about Wright, he played one game in the centres against St George and scored a magical try. Had a good game.

Both players struggled first up at 5/8 no question. Its a tough position, a link position with a lot extra pressure. First up match against the Premiers he faced two outstanding rep halves. Not surprising he struggled as a debutant in that position.

I suspect some expect promising juniors to be champions as soon as they're promoted to first grade. Rarely happens. Did with Toovey, and DCE was outstanding from the start, though he was 22 when he played his first premiership game. Weekes is still only 21. I remember decades ago when Terry Randall played his first games. He was an average centre. Look what he became as he moved to the forwards and toughened up. It takes time and when we expect immediate results then spit the dummy when it doesn't happen instantly and let them go, often we've shot ourselves in the foot.

No one knows if Weekes will be an outstanding player. However we know he has the skill base. That's innate and most players don't have it. So what do you do? Let them go and bring in an established middle of the road player or stick with the kid for a while and see if he comes up diamonds? Me? I'd stick with the kid for a year or so. See how he develops.
Sorry, was talking about Weekes. Thinking back on this again, you are correct @Bearfax. He did play at 5/8 that game.
In a perfect world, I would agree that we definitely keep Weekes at least one more year to see how things go. Although, not knowing what is going on with the salary cap, it is hard to judge if we can keep him or may need to move him on.

I'd stick with the kid for a year or so. See how he develops.
I'm a bit surprised he's on the outer, clearly has potential, so far unrealised.

I asume it is to do with 'squad balance'. Looks like Seibold is keen on big outside backs like Paulo and Talau rather than smaller, nippy types, we have fullback covered with Turbo Koula and Garrick and have the halves covered with DCE, Brooks, Arthur and Schu. Number 14 is covered by Gordie.

I like Weekes but in a spine position he needs to be more assertive, it will probably come with experience and time but maybe not at Manly.
(None of the players ever want to leave Manly!)

Sorry, was talking about Weekes. Thinking back on this again, you are correct @Bearfax. He did play at 5/8 that game.
In a perfect world, I would agree that we definitely keep Weekes at least one more year to see how things go. Although, not knowing what is going on with the salary cap, it is hard to judge if we can keep him or may need to move him on.

Its obvious Manly are struggling to stay within the cap. First the Fainus, then Weekes, young Fulton etc. I can understand to a degree if they feel they have to ensure their established stars are paid well and contented. But Manly's recruitment lately seems rather hotch potch, bringing in average first graders (at best) and letting go youngsters they've spent years developing and yet to get a serious start in first grade. Applaud some signings like Brooks, but some others dont seem as good as the kids being developed. Sounds like trying to get immediate results and lets not worry about next year. Cant see Melbourne or Sydney City doing that. More like what Wests do (though the Fainu coup was a big plus for them)

Agreed. Wherever possible it is better to promote from within rather than recruit from outside.
Just look who our 'big' signings were this season: Kelma, Johns, Condon, Woods...
Arthur was a clever acquisition as was Lodge, although his injury ruined it.
But we lost a lot of young talent that we had been developing for years, which seems dumb to me. Of course, not all juniors develop into good first graders. The jury is still out on The Shoe, although even his greater supporter would surely agree his salary is way too high.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8