Keppie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Keppie needs to get some headgear on. It wont prevent all concussions and impacts but headgear certainly cushions a lot of it and certainly would have cushioned the head to the ground issue on Saturday. Not saying he comes out of that with nothing... but the outcome is much less severe.
edit - sorry just saw your later post saying based on your own experience, fair enough
Source?
(Every study I have heard of has found headgear does not provide protection against concussive injuries, only protects against head cuts)

Spend a bit of time professionally with sports safety and injury .

Concussions are caused by the brain hitting against the inside of the skull .. imagine a unrestrained object in your car if you hit the brakes .. car stops but object keeps moving ..

This is what happens when a moving head hits a moving arm .. the head stops but the brain keeps moving and connects with the inside of the skull.

A helmet will reduce any abrasions or cuts .. but does not stop the head from stopping quickly ..
Just saying how I found it - just my own personal view. I believe it cut out some of the trauma over that period. But given I was a tackling machine who always tackled low or at worst driving into the chest, head knocks and splits were just part of the game. I understand the science - but I felt it helped a lot... just too effing hot up here in Brisvegas to wear it.

edit - sorry just saw your later post saying based on your own experience, fair enough
Source?
(Every study I have heard of has found headgear does not provide protection against concussive injuries, only protects against head cuts)
again - I can only share my personal experience. I played from Under 8's till I was 43 and then played a few years in Masters and I felt that 5 or so years my head was the "safest". As I said though being someone who would rather the opposition had the ball than us didn't help!

Spent a bit of time professionally with sports safety and injury .

Concussions are caused by the brain hitting against the inside of the skull .. imagine a unrestrained object in your car if you hit the brakes .. car stops but object keeps moving ..

This is what happens when a moving head hits a moving arm .. the head stops but the brain keeps moving and connects with the inside of the skull.

A helmet will reduce any abrasions or cuts .. but does not stop the head from stopping quickly ..
Ouch!

Counterintuitive, but I think Keppie would benefit from more game time or at least starting. His best games were when he can build momentum. With short stints off the bench he gets no rhythm of the game, forces passes and tries too hard.

I swing between thinking Keppie should be exiled to Blacktown and on the other side of the coin thinking he is a player I want at Manly for a long time.

At his best he can physically dominate other teams while at his worst he is dropping balls and giving away silly penalties.

His potential has teased us for years now. I know some have written him off due to his lack of defensive lateral movement and errors. And that is understandable.

To be honest I still own my shares in Keppie that I first bought after his play v Cronulla in that finals game when he first came on the scene.

Where do we currently stand on Keppie? Does he need to start? Are his errors too much and he should be moved on when his contract expires? Can he still come good, cut down his mistakes and become the enforcer we sorely need?

I'm keeping my Keppie shares for now but my finger is never too far away from the sell key.

The problem with Keppie that I think gets overlooked because he can bring aggression and make some good front on tackles, is his genuine lack of athleticism.

He is not a good mover. One of the reasons he get belted with the ball, is a lack of dynamic footwork and leg speed. It’s the same reason he gets shown up in defence at times; his lateral movement is poor.
Unfortunately very good points - hits like a truck, but his lack of movement causes the poor positioning at times and just maybe contributes to some ball handling issues as his body is hit by incoming defensive traffic, without having the movement to find a better position in the contact.
Love his aggression and a bit old school with having your intimidating henchmen in the middle, but there comes a time to weigh it all up.....he definitely has some great contributions, but some key errors.

Sure has been quite a contrast often with Keppie 's on field performances . Done really well sometimes against some quality packs , strong carries , hard hitting defence then other times just lapsed into some very ordinary displays . Has been a bit better over the past couple of months or so with a bit more consistency and hopefully will respond positively and go well as a starting prop today . Up against a pretty handy pair of starting Knights props today which will be a good test for him but again has shown before he can match it with the best of them . Not the only big man in the comp to get exposed sometimes in lateral defence and maybe a bit more experience and alertness can improve that area . Des has put some faith in him as a starting prop and up to Keppie to show that it was warranted .

Unfortunately very good points - hits like a truck, but his lack of movement causes the poor positioning at times and just maybe contributes to some ball handling issues as his body is hit by incoming defensive traffic, without having the movement to find a better position in the contact.
Love his aggression and a bit old school with having your intimidating henchmen in the middle, but there comes a time to weigh it all up.....he definitely has some great contributions, but some key errors.
I’m a Keppie fan but I think he needs a bit of time in the reggies to work on a few things and get his fitness up by playing more minutes.If you think a prop has potential and could be what the team needs moving forward,you don’t dispense of them before they turn 25,when they’re about to hit their peak,Payne Haas aside

Last edited:
The Keppie perspective ...

We are all as good as our last good showing

and Keppie had some great games where some on here were calling him our next great enforcer

Unfortunately Keppie has not been able to enforce those great performances of his consistently

This is for Keppie and his Team mates ....

1657927966707.png

I swing between thinking Keppie should be exiled to Blacktown and on the other side of the coin thinking he is a player I want at Manly for a long time.

At his best he can physically dominate other teams while at his worst he is dropping balls and giving away silly penalties.

His potential has teased us for years now. I know some have written him off due to his lack of defensive lateral movement and errors. And that is understandable.

To be honest I still own my shares in Keppie that I first bought after his play v Cronulla in that finals game when he first came on the scene.

Where do we currently stand on Keppie? Does he need to start? Are his errors too much and he should be moved on when his contract expires? Can he still come good, cut down his mistakes and become the enforcer we sorely need?

I'm keeping my Keppie shares for now but my finger is never too far away from the sell key.

ALL HAIL KEPPIE the ROOSTER ROOTER !!

Well said mate, but for mine Keppie is a keeper ... he has the one thing you can't coach or instill into a player ... DESIRE .... he wants to do good, and he will ..

The pages of Rugby League history are full of blokes with average talents being legends because of their attitude and determination ...

And as far as penalties and errors ... Manly made 25 errors last game ... one of those was by Keppie ...

And I have never seen a front row forward in 60 years that was worth 2 bob that didn't give away at least one penalty per game .. 2 per game when in form .. the numbnuts all call for more aggression and mongrel in the forwards ... and then when Keppie moves up too quick, or puts a hit on, they all wring their hands and cry "oh NO, he gave away a penalty" .. OH the horror ... ... damn nonsense ... GIVE him another one Keppie!!

ALL HAIL KEPPIE the ROOSTER ROOTER !!

Well said mate, but for mine Keppie is a keeper ... he has the one thing you can't coach or instill into a player ... DESIRE .... he wants to do good, and he will ..

The pages of Rugby League history are full of blokes with average talents being legends because of their attitude and determination ...

And as far as penalties and errors ... Manly made 25 errors last game ... one of those was by Keppie ...

And I have never seen a front row forward in 60 years that was worth 2 bob that didn't give away at least one penalty per game .. 2 per game when in form .. the numbnuts all call for more aggression and mongrel in the forwards ... and then when Keppie moves up too quick, or puts a hit on, they all wring their hands and cry "oh NO, he gave away a penalty" .. OH the horror ... ... damn nonsense ... GIVE him another one Keppie!!
Agreed. Choc and Kingy used to give away plenty of penalties. It's what enforcers do. There's obviously a fine line but Keppie has the potential to be great. Definitely needs improvement but the way he has absolutely dominated some of the biggest and most experienced names in the front row says he is worth persevering with

Last edited:
I’m a Keppie fan but I think he needs a bit of time in the reggies to work on a few things and get his fitness up by playing more minutes.If you think a prop has potential and could be what the team needs moving forward,you don’t dispense of them before they turn 25,when they’re about to hit their peak,Payne Haas aside
yeh true - Haas is a Special beast and Keppie could definitely benefit from a stint in reggies doing the simple tough stuff first and working on a few areas of his game - good call.
Now he'll probs come out today and destroy a few Knights forwards as we put the hex on....but hey, happy if he does as noone questions his rugged toughness or ablity, more his mobility and brain snaps.

I like what Keepie brings to the table, it's raw and in your face rugged defence. Needs to hone his attacking game somewhat, with a bit of work on ball security also.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10