Keppie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Manly's front rowers except for one are with nothing onfield and even less on the player market expecting these logs to take us into the eight is insanity.

I think is was the Sharks 3rd try that Keppie fell asleep when the ball went past him then they cut back and went straight through where he should have been.

He is prone this this.

Good player but still plenty to work on IMO
I thought that at first too but looking at the replay Keppie was at marker, Reuben overread the play and pushed left early, Hynes saw the gap between Woods and Lodge (where Garrick was initially) for McInness to go through.
Yeah, they could've done better but it was the last tackle and the Sharks had set for a right side play where we had plenty of numbers, Nicho just played as he saw it and came back against the grain like good playmakers do.

I thought that at first too but looking at the replay Keppie was at marker, Reuben overread the play and pushed left early, Hynes saw the gap between Woods and Lodge (where Garrick was initially) for McInness to go through.
Yeah, they could've done better but it was the last tackle and the Sharks had set for a right side play where we had plenty of numbers, Nicho just played as he saw it and came back against the grain like good playmakers do.
I noticed @Woodsie loved this post because you’ve absolved Keppie of primary responsibility, but Garrick didn’t over read the play, he is doing his job in covering the potential kick in behind and he has to do that regardless of where he ends up (be it marker or in the line). If Hynes kicks through for a try, we’re asking why our 1 is not in the frame.

It was Keppie’s job to push into the space there. However, in his defence, he was gassed like all the middles, from playing longer minutes than expected. So not a huge concern there.

I noticed @Woodsie loved this post because you’ve absolved Keppie of primary responsibility, but Garrick didn’t over read the play, he is doing his job in covering the potential kick in behind and he has to do that regardless of where he ends up (be it marker or in the line). If Hynes kicks through for a try, we’re asking why our 1 is not in the frame.

It was Keppie’s job to push into the space there. However, in his defence, he was gassed like all the middles, from playing longer minutes than expected. So not a huge concern there.

Precisely. You see Keppie start to move then give up on the play, and that couple of seconds of loss of concentration is what lets in the try.

In isolation not an issue but I have noticed it happens a bit with Keppie.

Not an attack but an effort area he needs to work on

Last edited:

I can't believe I'm defending Keppie so strongly in this instance but I can't see what he could do in this situation.
Okay Garrick may have not over read the play but we had plenty of numbers on that side for the kick or a ball to Nikora and left that space between Woods and Lodge behind Keppie.
Coincidentally their next try was set up from the same spot but this time Garrick was in the tackle and at marker so Nicho went that way with a faceball across Nikora to Ramien who went in untouched.

Attachments

• IMG_2082.PNG
    IMG_2082.PNG
    75.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2083.PNG
    IMG_2083.PNG
    74.2 KB · Views: 30
I can't believe I'm defending Keppie so strongly in this instance but I can't see what he could do in this situation.

He just needs to not stop.

He is moving to fill the space, then stops then starts again.

Then lil pause lets in the try IMO

But not look to blow this into a huge thing just saying he needs to work on things

He just needs to not stop.

He is moving to fill the space, then stops then starts again.

Then lil pause lets in the try IMO

But not look to blow this into a huge thing just saying he needs to work on things
All good.
Agree there's definitely things he needs to work on and now with Paseka and Alioai out for a few weeks he's got a great chance to step it up.

Okay Garrick may have not over read the play but we had plenty of numbers on that side for the kick or a ball to Nikora and left that space between Woods and Lodge behind Keppie.
Coincidentally their next try was set up from the same spot but this time Garrick was in the tackle and at marker so Nicho went that way with a faceball across Nikora to Ramien who went in untouched.
I don’t think you should feel that you are and/or have to defend him, you’re entitled to your opinion. I’m not trying to shoot you down, I just enjoy discussing the detail in the game and respect and value your opinion.

There’s a couple of ways coaches talk about this - ‘got caught walking’ or ‘gave up on the play’.

When the ball shifts, it’s imperative that the inside defenders push into the space that is left when the ‘A’ defender moves towards the ball carrier; in this case it was Lodge. If Lodge doesn’t move with the play, we’ll be stripped for numbers and our edges will have to hit in and the winger will score.

Keppie’s job is to keep pushing into that space to assist Lodge and he doesn’t. He starts to, but gives up on the play and goes again.

In saying all that, after defending his arse off to cover for the loss of Paseka, Aloiai and Jake, who could blame him?

It’s something that separates a good player from an average player - (either by instinct, discipline or drilling) they keep moving their feet instead of stopping for that second that ends up equaling two metres and is the difference between making the tackle or missing completely or in this case, ineffective contact as the attacker crossed the line.
There was plenty of contributing circumstances but this is the third example I can remember this season (it happened on the last try in Reggies last week) so it is a ‘thing’.

Apart from that, I thought Keppie played well yesterday.

I was always taught to rest once you get the ball. Because excitement or adrenaline would help you in attack.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8