Pre-Game Knights v Manly [Round 13, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

28 18
McDonald Jones Stadium
28 May 2023 04:05 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh I must be missing the point here. Great Weekes got the full back position, but what does Humphries got to do to get a chance at the top. He's been producing the goods at the Reggies level. Has he spat in someone's soup. Sometimes I just sit back and wonder about some selections. Johns has been...well uninspiring and that's being kind. Obviously I'm a dodo or....
It's a mystery.

Yeh I must be missing the point here. Great Weekes got the full back position, but what does Humphries got to do to get a chance at the top. He's been producing the goods at the Reggies level. Has he spat in someone's soup. Sometimes I just sit back and wonder about some selections. Johns has been...well uninspiring and that's being kind. Obviously I'm a dodo or....
We'll have Weekes, Fainu and Condon who probably only have half a dozen games between them. (Might even end up with Gordie too, as who knows what's going on with Lawton).
I'm happy to hear Humphreys has been going well in lower grades, but we need to win this game and we are down approximately 1000 games of NRL experience at a guess. He'll get his chance but I'm not surprised this is not the right week for him.

This upcoming game can put our season well and truly back on track after the disastrous month it's been before this amazing canberra performance. We win here, I don't care how or about how much, 2 points then get the bye and now we are virtually 3 on the trot. Then the week off, regroup, origin stars back, fortress brooky vrs the phins. In the topsy turvy and tight competition it's been we need to clean up these winnable games. Newcastle away is going to be very tough though, especially with the outs we are going to have but we have to win no matter what.
MIGOTY, with the state of the ladder, Origin period starting and Jake out for 6 weeks. Very tough, especially with that pr!ck Slater not picking Ponga and Gagai. Win as ugly as we must.

This upcoming game can put our season well and truly back on track after the disastrous month it's been before this amazing canberra performance. We win here, I don't care how or about how much, 2 points then get the bye and now we are virtually 3 on the trot. Then the week off, regroup, origin stars back, fortress brooky vrs the phins. In the topsy turvy and tight competition it's been we need to clean up these winnable games. Newcastle away is going to be very tough though, especially with the outs we are going to have but we have to win no matter what.
Big occasion for Schuster also, he'll be guiding the team around and virtually directing every play. Think he'll relish the challenge and put in a masterclass performance this Sunday.

Another key point for us is no Brailey, they have only won one game since his been out, (hasn‘t played since rd 6) his a huge loss for them and their forward pack are struggling to get across the advantage line without him bringing them onto the ball, (a quality 9 is everything) he was also their captain and I think best player for the first 6 rounds. He can throw a good long cut out ball from DH that was giving them space and time on their edges, that’s not happening at the moment either, we can still give this a bloody good shake, if the lads turn up.
Except we don’t have a quality 9 either, and he is now our captain, piling on more pressure.

Except we don’t have a quality 9 either, and he is now our captain, piling on more pressure.
Yer, but his our regular 9 and heres hoping being bestowed with the honour of captaining the side, he’ll lift and have a blinder, the boys all respect him, remembering his was the players player last year. I‘m searching for any and all positives here, we need this win, it’s huge in the context of our season.

With Humphreys to Flegg as hooker, means Arthur will drop down to Blacktown to be the No 7 this weekend. LFainu will move to 6.

We'll have Weekes, Fainu and Condon who probably only have half a dozen games between them. (Might even end up with Gordie too, as who knows what's going on with Lawton).
I'm happy to hear Humphreys has been going well in lower grades, but we need to win this game and we are down approximately 1000 games of NRL experience at a guess. He'll get his chance but I'm not surprised this is not the right week for him.

Yeh SER8, perhaps I should follow my own oft used advise...patience.

I guess in a sense I'm relying too much on past experiences and using them as a template. For example yesterday attended a funeral of a long time friend and work colleague. One of the eulogies was from another pal, who was a trainee under that departed soul. He threw her into the fray of the job, sink or swim so to speak. She handled it and said she was grateful because it made her much tougher.

My father, great man, once had a young girl, aged about six and close friend of my sister at Collaroy baths to go swimming with us. She was scared of the water so he pushed her in. Jumped in to ensure she was OK but she learned to swim that day and became a champion synchronized swimmer.

I could name numerous other examples of tough love. For example I felt absolutely no disappointment that Weekes struggled at 5/8 in his initial first full first grade match. He's obviously got the talent, he just needs experience. Important to fall to learn. I recall Peter Sterling's first match at Parra. Played full back and was dreadful. But Parra persisted and history was made.

Young players with talent need the first grade experience. Molly coddling them in kindergarten for too long is not teaching them the next step they have to take in first grade. Throw them in. Doesn't matter if they fail at first because more than likely they will. But experience is the great teacher. I think that's where mistakes are made judging them too early. Schuster perfect example. He might have a bad one this weekend. So what? All part of the development. Long term thinking.

Sorry to hear about your friend Bear. And it's true what you say, I myself have been tossed into 'sink or swim' situations and come through but there's no evidence to suggest I wouldn't have done even better in the long run (and been less traumatised!) had I been given better preparation.

Max Krilich is a classic example of delayed first grade debut is nothing to do with mollycoddling. Cliffy is another, also Gift. Let em earn their stripes and if they are good enough they'll do great when they are good and ready.

I do agree giving a young talent a taste of top grade can help them, but pick the right game. If Seibs Flano etc really thought Humphreys was ready they wouldn't have signed Johns, let alone Arthur.

Sorry to hear about your friend Bear. And it's true what you say, I myself have been tossed into 'sink or swim' situations and come through but there's no evidence to suggest I wouldn't have done even better in the long run (and been less traumatised!) had I been given better preparation.

Max Krilich is a classic example of delayed first grade debut is nothing to do with mollycoddling. Cliffy is another, also Gift. Let em earn their stripes and if they are good enough they'll do great when they are good and ready.

I do agree giving a young talent a taste of top grade can help them, but pick the right game. If Seibs Flano etc really thought Humphreys was ready they wouldn't have signed Johns, let alone Arthur.

You're probably right. Now young Arthur is also with us so I wonder what that means for Humphries. And Latu Fainu for that matter. I'll avoid rambling on further Well know for my excessive verbosity. Learned to be more succinct in the job, but obviously old habits return.

You're probably right. Now young Arthur is also with us so I wonder what that means for Humphries. And Latu Fainu for that matter. I'll avoid rambling on further Well know for my excessive verbosity. Learned to be more succinct in the job, but obviously old habits return.
That certainly seems to be on a few of our minds now Bear. Well, I only have one mind ......... I think.

It means all the halves hopefuls will have to become top class in order to nail down a spot at the Sea Eagles. As Schu seems to be doing, this month at least.

The crowd should disperse in a year or two as DCE winds down, Johns likely not retained, and Arthur already spoken about for a non-halves role.
All good!

200.gif

It means all the halves hopefuls will have to become top class in order to nail down a spot at the Sea Eagles. As Schu seems to be doing, this month at least.

The crowd should disperse in a year or two as DCE winds down, Johns likely not retained, and Arthur already spoken about for a non-halves role.
All good!

200.gif

Johns or Arthur hooker? Aaarrggghhh

Yeh SER8, perhaps I should follow my own oft used advise...patience.

I guess in a sense I'm relying too much on past experiences and using them as a template. For example yesterday attended a funeral of a long time friend and work colleague. One of the eulogies was from another pal, who was a trainee under that departed soul. He threw her into the fray of the job, sink or swim so to speak. She handled it and said she was grateful because it made her much tougher.

My father, great man, once had a young girl, aged about six and close friend of my sister at Collaroy baths to go swimming with us. She was scared of the water so he pushed her in. Jumped in to ensure she was OK but she learned to swim that day and became a champion synchronized swimmer.

I could name numerous other examples of tough love. For example I felt absolutely no disappointment that Weekes struggled at 5/8 in his initial first full first grade match. He's obviously got the talent, he just needs experience. Important to fall to learn. I recall Peter Sterling's first match at Parra. Played full back and was dreadful. But Parra persisted and history was made.

Young players with talent need the first grade experience. Molly coddling them in kindergarten for too long is not teaching them the next step they have to take in first grade. Throw them in. Doesn't matter if they fail at first because more than likely they will. But experience is the great teacher. I think that's where mistakes are made judging them too early. Schuster perfect example. He might have a bad one this weekend. So what? All part of the development. Long term thinking.
Great post @Bearfax . Puts things in Perspective
Sorry to hear about the passing of your friend
May their soul rest in peace

So is the general consensus “ not a chance in hell “ with this game ??

I think they aren’t changed much at all , we however , with injuries and Origin are robbed of our best players , so I can’t see us anywhere near the pace.

Knights , at their home as well.

Drugcastle 20+

So is the general consensus “ not a chance in hell “ with this game ??

I think they aren’t changed much at all , we however , with injuries and Origin are robbed of our best players , so I can’t see us anywhere near the pace.

Knights , at their home as well.

Drugcastle 20+
The players injuries omission Perspective .......

The Greatest omission from any team is lack of resilience

If we bring our Resilience with us in Newcastle we can win this game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4