[Resurrected] Lol @ Parra

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/ceb4784e7592e018a6310cd86a36286d

The game’s worst fears have been confirmed after a second former player launched legal action in the NSW Supreme Court arguing head knocks suffered during his playing days had contributed to mental problems in retirement.

Former Gold Coast and Eels backrower Brett Horsnell has begun proceedings against the Parramatta District Rugby League Club.

Parramatta chief executive Bernie Gurr confirmed the club had been served papers and the matter was in a preliminary stages.

“We got a legal notice and we sent it on to our lawyers,” Gurr said.

“It’s literally very much at a preliminary stage at the moment so we just passed it on to our lawyers to look at.

I'm referring to the brown papers bags overflowing from Semi's wife's handbag as she withdrew her charges!

Complainant's in domestic violence cases can't withdraw the charges - the police laid the charges, and the police have a protocol in domestic cases not to withdraw the charge once it's been laid, no matter what the victim later says. Instead they leave it for the court to sort out, in nearly all cases. (The reason for this protocol is that the overwhelming number of murders and serious assaults occur in domestic settings, and studies prove that domestic violence often escalates, so the police get criticised for taking no action if something bad later happens.)

At the close of the prosecution case a magistrate can dismiss the charge, but that apparently didn't happen in this case. The police withdrew the charges after presenting their case.

This is extremely unusual in my experience (and I have plenty of experience of how these things play out in NSW courts). I found myself being rather curious as to how bad the evidence must have been for the prosecutor to fall on his sword in that fashion. Admittedly Semi had an SC on his team but even so, very, very unusual.

Pleased for him that he is innocent, however as Brett Stewart knows, mud sticks.

Pleased for him that he is innocent, however as Brett Stewart knows, mud sticks.
Semi has not been declared innocent, the charges were merely witdrawn and thus not tried nor ruled upon.@:cool:

Snake had a judicial ruling by his 12 peers and a Judge, and was declared innocent of all charges. :angel:

In the previous Court date, Semi's Pastor relayed Semi's confession of assault under oath.
Strange proceedings all round :cool:

Semi is now rumoured to be considering a Toulon backflip- NRL360

Semi has not been declared innocent, the charges were merely witdrawn and thus not tried nor ruled upon.@:cool:

Snake had a judicial ruling by his 12 peers and a Judge, and was declared innocent of all charges. :angel:

In the previous Court date, Semi's Pastor relayed Semi's confession of assault under oath.
Yes and no, HM - Snake was found 'not guilty' which is not quite the same as being proved innocent. He is presumed innocent, not proven innocent, because the prosecution failed to prove he is guilty and they have the onus of proof.

As for Semi's case you are right, the court did not get to make a decision because the police gave up and I agree, strange proceedings because as I said above the police very rarely withdraw domestic charges when laid, let alone after presenting their case.

However my reading of the earlier reports was that his wife said he'd confessed to the pastor, not that the pastor gave that evidence. Could be wrong though, and of course reports about court proceedings are often woefully inaccurate.

Yes and no, HM - Snake was found 'not guilty' which is not quite the same as being proved innocent. He is presumed innocent, not proven innocent, because the prosecution failed to prove he is guilty and they have the onus of proof.

As for Semi's case you are right, the court did not get to make a decision because the police gave up and I agree, strange proceedings because as I said above the police very rarely withdraw domestic charges when laid, let alone after presenting their case.

However my reading of the earlier reports was that his wife said he'd confessed to the pastor, not that the pastor gave that evidence. Could be wrong though, and of course reports about court proceedings are often woefully inaccurate.

Sort of like kaiser pritchard was not found guilty of doping, he was just found to have had someone else take his drug test for him.
And who knows why he would get someone else to do that for him.

If the police have no substantive evidence and his wife refuses to give a statement, they have nothing to proceed with in court. Statements given, even if recorded can be changed, such as claiming a different emotional state when having the first statement made. If the victim changes their statement claiming for example they werent in the right frame of mind when they made original statement etc, the police then have no firm evidence to proceed. If there are no physical injuries or the explanation for injuries is claimed not related to an assault, again its difficult for the police to prove their case.

Kent on NRL360 was the one reporting that the Pastor had testified in the first hearing that Semi cofessed to him.

This player is high maintenance to say the least :cool:

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8