[Resurrected] Lol @ Parra

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
...sack five club officials....
How is this punishment ?? they should be made to hang onto to these incompetent fools. In fact they should be promoted to the board if not already on it. Is Steve "Not So" Sharp one of them ??

How funny would it be if one of the players they released was Foran.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
THE Parramatta Eels have reportedly been stripped of 12 competition points following an investigation into alleged salary cap breaches.
NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg and Integrity Unit boss Nick Weeks are expected to confirm reports of the Eels’ season-defining punishment at an announcement at 11.30am.
The punishments include:
— The loss of 12 competition points
— Five officials sacked
— $1 million fine
— Players forced to leave club
The club will have to start from scratch when it is able to prove it fits under the 2016 salary cap.
The Daily Telegraph reported the Eels are currently over the 2016 cap because of illegitimate third-party deals sourced outside the salary cap rules and will have to move players to rival clubs before they can be considered eligible to compete for competition points.

It comes after an NRL integrity unit forensic investigation to allegations of widespread salary cap breaches and third-party sponsorship agreements sourced outside salary cap rules.
Third-party agreements must be on an arm’s length basis to ensure they do not become a way for NRL clubs to use sponsors to undermine the salary cap.
The reported punishment is the heaviest the NRL has handed out since the Melbourne Storm were sensationally stripped of two NRL premierships following an investigation in 2010.
The points deduction makes them the fourth team in the history of the NRL to have points deducted for rorting, following on from Canterbury in 2002, the Warriors in 2006 and Melbourne in 2010.
Parramatta is still in a position to play finals football this season.
Starting from zero competition points, the Eels will likely have to win 12 of their remaining 15 matches — with four competition points guaranteed through two bye rounds — to finish on 28 competition points.
The Dragons finished on 28 points last year and played in the finals, however 28 points was not enough for the Warriors and Eels to play finals in 2014 when they finished tied with the Broncos on 28 points.
The NRL is also demanding five officials from the club be immediately sacked.
The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield has identified the five officials as Chairman Steve Sharp, CEO John Boulos, Head of football Daniel Anderson, Deputy Chairman Tom Issa, and Director Peter Serrao.
Greenberg visited Eels headquarters on Tuesday morning to address Parramatta players and staff to inform them of the league’s staunch punishment.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
If the Speels have to shed the players that put them over this years cap (i.e. their latest signings) before they can earn any more competition points for this season, doesn't that mean they will have to shed Jennings, Foran, Gutherson, Gordon and Scott?

Or do they just have to get rid of enough to bring them under the cap meaning it'll likely be fringe and NSW Cup players who get released?

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Happy to see at least something, but still think it's a bit weak. I'd double the points and fine.

s'funny that parra fans were bleating about how they are under the cap this year so no points should be deducted....and it turns out they're not!

lol @ parra Now we just wait to see that it's all official....and that parra don't continue sailing down the river de-nile and lodge an appeal which the nrl then relents somewhat.

They rorted...majorly and the punishment should fit the crime...not ch 9!

edit: I hope their stupid forum gets a ton of trolls...seeing as they would do the same to any other team.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
They can't play for any more points until they comply with the 2016 cap which they are over by 570k. So until they shed players and comply this year they won't be able to earn any points.

eagleron

Bencher
If the Speels have to shed the players that put them over this years cap (i.e. their latest signings) before they can earn any more competition points for this season, doesn't that mean they will have to shed Jennings, Foran, Gutherson, Gordon and Scott?

Or do they just have to get rid of enough to bring them under the cap meaning it'll likely be fringe and NSW Cup players who get released?
Probably the latter

Rodo

Goldmember
Tipping Member
Parramatta salary cap preliminary findings
Media release

An investigation by the NRL's Integrity Unit has made preliminary findings that since at least 2013 the Parramatta Rugby League Club has been operating a system designed to enable it to exceed the salary cap without detection and give its team an unfair advantage.

The preliminary findings from the investigation include that a series of payments were either hidden from the NRL or misrepresented as suitable for exclusion from the salary cap and that these actions were taken with the knowledge and approval of various club Directors and senior executives.

As a result of these preliminary findings the NRL has today issued the Parramatta club with a breach notice proposing that:

- The club will be fined the maximum penalty of $1 million (with $250,000 suspended if the club accelerates the governance reforms recommended by PWC within an agreed specified time frame)

- The Parramatta Eels will be docked all competition points accumulated so far this season while their team was in breach of the salary cap. The club will be able to begin accruing points as soon as it makes the necessary changes to comply with the 2016 cap.

- The club will be stripped of its Auckland Nines competition title won earlier this year

The NRL has also issued notices to three members of the Club's Board and two members of the Executive requiring them to show cause why their registrations should not be cancelled. They are Chairman Steve Sharp, Deputy Chairman Tom Issa, Director Peter Serrao, CEO John Boulous and Football Manager Daniel Anderson.

The NRL stresses that these are preliminary findings and the club and officials will be given a reasonable time to respond to the proposed penalties.

The NRL will only make a final determination on whether the preliminary findings are justified and the proposed penalties once it has considered the responses of the club and the officials.

CEO Todd Greenberg said if the preliminary findings prove to be justified then serious sanctions will be required given the conduct and the club’s history of salary cap contraventions.

"As the governing body, we have a responsibility to act in the interests of the game for the long term," Mr Greenberg said.

"At times, it gives us no pleasure to have to do so and this is one of those. But we have to take a stand on behalf of the fans, the club and the game.

Mr Greenberg said the club had been fined for breaches of the salary cap rules in five of the last six years and now it had been exposed for operating a system designed to cheat the cap.

"We will need to take a stand on behalf of the fans, the club and the game," Mr Greenberg said.

"This would be a tough outcome for many people, particularly the players and fans, but we believe it would be the start of a process to make the Parramatta club the powerhouse it should be.

"Unfortunately, we may have to go through this pain for the long term health of the club and the game."

In broad terms, the Integrity Unit investigation has made preliminary findings that the Parramatta club breached the salary cap rules and code of conduct by:

- Paying players undisclosed remuneration from its own resources

- Procuring third party agreements for players in breach of the salary cap rules

- Conspiring with club suppliers to inflate or issue fictitious invoices to raise cash that was then relayed to players

Head of Integrity, Nick Weeks said the club and its registered officials had been given numerous opportunities to meet their obligations to come forward with details of any breaches but had not done so.

This was despite the fact the club appears to have been aware of some of the matters which have been reported to the NRL.

Mr Weeks said the NRL's Salary Cap Auditors estimated that the Parramatta Eels are currently around $570,000 over the salary cap.

Mr Weeks said the investigation was one of the most comprehensive ever conducted by the Integrity Unit.

More than 750,000 documents had been obtained and interviews had been conducted with Board members, football staff, club officials, former officials and other parties.

http://www.nrl.com/parramatta-salary-cap-preliminary-findings/tabid/10874/newsid/95530/default.aspx

Last edited:

southsideeagle

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
I'm was looking at the parra fan site. A few things that struck me was that the Club hired Ian Schubert this year to sort out there situation. Obviously the damage was already done.

They need to shed $500,000 in players/payments immediately, as well all know. It appears they could drive Watmough back home and leave him there. This may be allowed to cover the "overs" as he is on $700 - 800,000 a year.

Canberra could make another push for Paulo to leave early.

My view is, can anyone tell me why they were silly/stupid enough to pay what they did for Watmough and also Foran. On form from a few games this year Foz maybe worth the money BUT it was going to be a long shot if he could maintain that level over a season.

I nearly feel sorry for Parra supporters. We all love our footy and our teams. Sometimes incompetent admin stuff everything up and the fan have to wear the pain.

Reactions: mbe

HappilyManly

Journey Man
5e106f07c5c8e9d1f046e984c0138f1a

Manly Players doing it for the Mighty Manly Sea Eagles still.

The no points till the shedding of some players is fair.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Machiavellan I know, but to shed players and have their contracts removed from their salary cap requires that another club take over the payments.

What if every club refused to sign a Parra disgard.

It would mean they couldn't get under the cap, so would have to play all year for no points.

Hehehehe Baaaaahhaaaaaha

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
the nrl.com site is down. some unhappy eels hackers??

so the fine has 250k suspended (boo)

And the 5 people haven't been sacked....just given show cause notices.

I read that the 4 points deduction 'suspended' from last year no longer counted as the nrl were happy with the 52 new policies that they told parra to implement. That's kind of a shame as it's well 'you implemented the changes so points stay.'

But I'd rather they lost at least another 4 as they deliberately didn't fix everything up.

They just wont stop lying!

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
If it took the nrl this long to hand out a punishment...how are parra going to shed players and the nrl be able to check this in time for their next round?

Can it be done? Third party payments certainly muddy the waters!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16