Love a League V Union Debate

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Gito would go fairly well in league, his not in the gasnier, hodges, bell tate catagorie but he was a raiders junior until St Edmonds, :doh: (private school wankers) took him to play union, and his old man Ron Giteu was the Raiders first captain

[quote author=PEPSI]
probabaly more so meaning you would be waiting for these corp backers to realise that the super 14 taems and players are simply not worth that kind of backing, they dont get the crowds consistantly, they dont get Tv ratings and so on.

so why would you spend 30000o K propping up mark gazniers contract when for 300K you can become a major sponsor of a leading league team!

australian Rugby simply does not warrant an athlete to be on 1.5 million like Giteau, he is small fry in world athlete terms.

he now gets paid as much as shayne warne, and hes arguably the best know cricketer in the world and arguably the best ever,

Matt who ?????

The cumulative Super 12 crowds hit an all-time high last year, with more than 440,000 people attending matches in Australia.
·With 10 extra Super 14 matches in Australia this year, the figure will exceed the 600,000 mark, and potentially push the 700,000 mark.

TV Ratings
·Last year, TV ratings for Super 12 Rugby increased by 25%.
·The Super 12 Final between the Crusaders and the Waratahs averaged 288,000, a record for a Rugby match on subscription television.
·Across the first three rounds this year, the Super 14 has reached 1.3 million viewers on Fox Sports.

Test matches
·Our cumulative Test crowds were the second highest on record last year - only the 2001 Lions season generated a bigger cumulative crowd.
·We have the biggest Test season ever coming up this year - two Tests against England, one against Ireland, followed by the expanded Tri Nations.

Sponsorship
·The ARU's annual sponsorship income now exceeds $20 million.

and still free to air tv will not cover super 14.union at club and provincial level has always been a financial disaster on tv and no network will gamble on it.

fox covers the lot because free to air wouldnt take advantage of the siphoning laws which means events which are of significant interest to the australian public will not be allowed live on cable if a free to air network wants the right to screen it.

Channel 7's test match ratings have been only average also.believe it or not one of those floggings we dished out to the kiwis in league outrated a bledisloe game on tv last year.to be fair a lot of the union fans don their ties and cardigans to have a chat at the match which doesnt leave many to prop up the tv ratings.

My wife has 12 or so years under her belt at 7 and 9 as a senior advertising manager and she tells me the networks reckon it is a dud and always will be tv wise.

origin outrates the union tests on 7 by eons.they are easily the 4 biggest tv sporting events along with our grandfinal in qld and nsw.

[/quote]

These Union v League debates always make me laugh. I enjoy watching both, and if you understand the philosphy of one opportunity versus 6 opportunities with the ball than you can appreciate the specific tactics in each code. Both codes have their problems, RU has a lot of penalties around the breakdown, whereas the RL ruck laws (dominant, surrender, flop, strip etc) are frustrating and their scrums in general are a joke. But both codes are trying to create a game where attack is king, and a free flowing game allegedly brings in the crowds.

There have been plenty of dual internationals throughout history which suggests that a class player in either code will make it the other form of the game. Moreso for backs, as I don't recall too many forwards that have made a successful transition recently, obviously Thorn and Ryan from RL to RU went OK, and can only think of Gourley and Strauss coming back the other way recently. There were a couple of high profile flops in D'Arcy and Morgan though.

I think it is safe to say that most higher profile NRL backs would make it in Super 14 and most of the Aussie and Kiwi Super 14 backs would crack first grade in the NRL. It's a bit harder for forwards, especially tight five, as the roles are very different. The scrummaging alone would destroy most NRL props (although I think Webke could have made a go because he has the build). I had to laugh at Mason saying he'd make it in Rugby on his ear, he'd be crying for his mum after the first 8 man shove the Boks put on. Quality mobile NRL backrowers like BK, Beaver, O'Donnell, Creagh etc would make decent loose forwards in RU.

I think Gasnier would do alright in RU, but he won't get as much space as he does in RL (10m as opposed to about 5m) for his shimmy shake moves. Granted he won't have to do as much defensive work but he'll know he is alive if he gets on the end of a Brian Lima special in the World Cup or gets head hunted by whoever the Saffies pick at standoff.

I'd also be intrested to see what the score would be if the Kangaroos played the Romanian XIII, it'd be 74-0 at halftime.

sue summed it up perfectly, imagine bragging about 288000 rating on TV lol

anyone here heard about Australias biggest Motocross ( dirt bike ) TV show ? its called MXTV and is on Chanel 31 ( do you even get that!!! lol) well that rates at 200000, so for the union super 12 final to rate at 288000 is a complete flop in my book , and that was a final!

i also realised that i am very biased in an effort to be very transparent in this lol

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7