Major sporting codes [including NRL] to back Voice to parliament

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Very dissapointed to see sports of any sort becoming involved with this.

I get that individuals ( such as Solar Panel Pat ) have their own right to do whatever but I think that the sporting bodies should just administer their sport and stay well clear of politics.

To be honest I find this puzzling from the NRL (as much as I like the concept of the voice and will be voting yes for)

Why is this issue one to support over pride or similar ones? Both are social issues so I am not sure of the thought process here

I get that individuals ( such as Solar Panel Pat ) have their own right to do whatever but I think that the sporting bodies should just administer their sport and stay well clear of politics.

Mate, it's a form of social blackmail ... get on board, say yes to anything with the word indigenous in it .... or be publicly portrayed as a racist organisation .... and the wobbly kneed sports administrators who are either too afraid to say no ... or who have an eye on Gov't grants ... jump into line .

That does not mean there are not sports administrators who don't genuinely believe in a yes vote ... but their ability to speak on behalf of members, fans and an entire sporting body is preposterous ..

Last edited:
To be honest I find this puzzling from the NRL (as much as I like the concept of the voice and will be voting yes for)

Why is this issue one to support over pride or similar ones? Both are social issues so I am not sure of the thought process here
I certainly agree with your second paragraph, but I’m yet to decide , currently it’s a big no from me but if they really show us how it’s going to work I could be convinced.

The “ vibe” for it is right , without a doubt , but who they choose , what influence it will have and how many hundreds of millions it might cost definitely has me in the no camp to date.

But I’m totally against sporting bodies doing this , which they’ll do for the reasons @Woodsie says above.

In the case of the NRL and AFL in particular, I can only assume it has something to do with the fact that they have a solid number of indigenous players playing their sport. And with the Goodes and Betts and other similar situations in recent times, they see it as an opportunity to turn the negative to a positive. But of course, I'm only guessing. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just why they might be openly supporting something - they may see it as more "socially" acceptable to them. Dare I say even - an easier sell. I guess we'll wait to see what happens and then hear their thinking behind any decision. Coz I dare say, the same question might be asked of them directly.

This voice is just a labor gimmick.

If they truly wanted to give our indigenous brothers and sisters are voice why don't they go with a quota system for preselected canidates. The alp love a good quota and did this with women. Surely the only real voice for indigenous people would come from elected indigenous members of the lower house and senate and even one day in the future an indigenous PM

Agree, when and why did it become part of sports' governing bodies charters to get involved in politics or societal ideals?

I understand if they were asked their thoughts on the matter but to actively express their views is akin to virtue signalling which is starting to get very cliched.

Politics in sport is not new.
Infact older than rugba leege itself

While it may appear a token gesture to start with , many are when it comes to fixing some really poor history. It will be hard to agree with the actual appointment probably , but harder to disagree that it wasnt overdue And necessary to repair the damage

if it is a starting point to address the disconnect we should get behind it

for me its a case of follow the heart and not the head

each to there own but we are the custodians of this time in history

peace to all

Not to mention that we wouldn't have Rugby League if not for politics and sport combining:
Rugby Football History

Just because something has been around a long time doesn't mean it's good.

As an example, smallpox was a virus that was prevalent for millennia, it was officially 'eradicated' in 1977. It had a death rate of 30% and killed over a billion people. Hands up if you want it brought back again. Thought not.

While politics in sport doesn't have the same morbidity or mortality rate, it's still a pest - like prickly pear and cane toads. Best not to introduce it, and eradicate it if you can.

Solid no from me.

There are a lot of issues to address. The shortlist for me being:
1. Very little detail from the government. We don't even know what we are really voting for. My concern is that if we change a small but crucial part of legislation, especially at the constitutional level, then there is a flow on effect of unintended constitutional arguments over law in the high court. What is the government, who is trying to sell this, really afraid of telling us?
2. I have a firm belief that every individual should have equal rights. If a person from one ethnicity or another has more access to influencing law making than another person, then this flies against the idea of democracy. One person = one vote.
3. The idea that any legislation is based on race is appalling, and regardless of it's best intentions is inherently racist.
4. With regard to point 3, indigenous communities want to advise the government on creating law for their people. So is it the case that any changes could lead to one law for some, and a different law for others?
5. How do we prove a person's heritage? The bar according to the Mabo decision is pretty low. I'm not really fussed about who would be a representative, but it would matter which constituents whom any laws and motions would affect.
6. How will this voice to parliament actually address the problems which really affect indigenous people? Such as homelessness & poverty? Will the voice magically effect the levels of violence, rape, and child abuse committed on indigenous persons, which are predominantly committed by other indigenous persons? Deaths in custody anyone? They aren't being killed by police or corrections. They are committing suicide. So what do we do? Do we say gaol for some and good behavior bonds for others dependent upon their cultural backgrounds? After all, if we don't imprison them then they can't kill themselves. Is this problem solved?

A voice to parliament will be a great PR exercise, and all of the inner city late drinking people who are about 1/20th of indigenous heritage will feel good. But in reality not one child will be spared being raped, and not one person will be spared domestic violence which runs rampant in our communities.

I just feel that we need to get in and help the problem properly and cut out the PC garbage. The statistics are there to be seen. My view is the quickest most efficient way to help the problem is through getting these people out of poverty. They need jobs and purpose. But we've missed the opportunity with the current generation. We really need to get the kids into school and educated. Set up the next generation for success.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2