Manly Blew It

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I wouldn't say 'blew it'
See modern Manly has never been like other clubs in their 'spending big', notice how all those clubs constantly grabbing marquee players on ridiculous amounts may only spend 2-3-4 years around the top, and their slides have been dramatic. That's because you just can't work the cap to have long reigns of success (say ten years top 8 in a row) if you are trying to buy that title.
Yes Manly has had a lot of luck, but also great talent scouting to bring so many great players through while also having a decent eye for the 'journeyman' type buys. Now this method causes a lot of stress to the fans because when you produce a lot of talent, you obviously can't keep it all, so its really about how you manage that, and keeping the players that want to build that bond that Manly had in that recent 'golden period'. Sometimes that is going to backfire too as we are seeing now. The younger generation is 'now now now money money money' so there's going to be those clashes in personality and you have to be clued on and really looking to the future to build that right squad.
In two years time we'll know if the powers that be made the right or wrong calls, as will the players themselves, they might both win premierships, they also might win spoons. At the end of the day the past ten years we've done well as a 'squad' we haven't had that massive money gap between sections of the playing group, and i really think that is what the club is hoping to replicate. We look to have a decent crop of SG Ball, Harold Matts, U20's players coming through, we have a number of 'almost there' potential stars in the ranks and we also have a core group of first graders that are looking like settling long term.
As fans we want that win every week, and we've been blessed with being the most dominant team of the modern era, we all know that is something that is not easy to maintain, now we could have thrown everything at two and possibly created a more fractured playing group with limited opportunities due to cap restrictions, that might have worked for another premiership, or it may not have due to not having cash to spend in other positions.. we'll never know, but through all the doom and gloom i think we're now in a position to really identify that junior talent, start locking it up long term, rewarding those current players who do put in week in week out, securing their futures and identifying external options to bring in that can continue that 'squad over individual' mentality and hopefully continue to be strong across the whole field.
The money i think was too much to have tied up in two positions, imagine having that much on the sidelines if a season ending injury or two hit, it'd derail any clubs season. We need to continue to have a 'squad', not 'two stars and some ring ins', as good as both players are on the field and off, long term, we may just come out on top... we may not too, but lets just wait and see.

You don't have to sign to be bound.
Wrong - see Fifita v Dogs.
Until the contract is registered with the NRL, it has no commercial value. In fact, up to Round 13 a Player can even break a registered contract FFS. :punch:
The NRL system is full of loopholes.

The reality is there really is only 4 players in the NRL worth $1M. JT, cronk, c smith and Inglis (and ill admit he is a stretch).

There are plenty of players that are close or one day will be worth 1M, anf that is where dce and foz sit.

Paying dce 1.2M per year was not wise.

Maybe but I would say there is a fair bit of truth in DCE's report that he was close to signing back then, there was a feel at the time he was deep in discussion with Perry and talk that everything was halted when Perry got the arse

Wrong - see Fifita v Dogs.
Until the contract is registered with the NRL, it has no commercial value. In fact, up to Round 13 a Player can even break a registered contract FFS. :punch:
The NRL system is full of loopholes.
I think he's trying to weasel on a technicality - I'm of the opinion they hadn't agreed terms because he still hasn't stated why he then didn't lock it in. But the media won't pursue that - it's more fun to just make out like Manly pulled it and began dicking him around and poor little DCE is heart broken...

I wouldn't say 'blew it'
See modern Manly has never been like other clubs in their 'spending big', notice how all those clubs constantly grabbing marquee players on ridiculous amounts may only spend 2-3-4 years around the top, and their slides have been dramatic. That's because you just can't work the cap to have long reigns of success (say ten years top 8 in a row) if you are trying to buy that title.
Yes Manly has had a lot of luck, but also great talent scouting to bring so many great players through while also having a decent eye for the 'journeyman' type buys. Now this method causes a lot of stress to the fans because when you produce a lot of talent, you obviously can't keep it all, so its really about how you manage that, and keeping the players that want to build that bond that Manly had in that recent 'golden period'. Sometimes that is going to backfire too as we are seeing now. The younger generation is 'now now now money money money' so there's going to be those clashes in personality and you have to be clued on and really looking to the future to build that right squad.
In two years time we'll know if the powers that be made the right or wrong calls, as will the players themselves, they might both win premierships, they also might win spoons. At the end of the day the past ten years we've done well as a 'squad' we haven't had that massive money gap between sections of the playing group, and i really think that is what the club is hoping to replicate. We look to have a decent crop of SG Ball, Harold Matts, U20's players coming through, we have a number of 'almost there' potential stars in the ranks and we also have a core group of first graders that are looking like settling long term.
As fans we want that win every week, and we've been blessed with being the most dominant team of the modern era, we all know that is something that is not easy to maintain, now we could have thrown everything at two and possibly created a more fractured playing group with limited opportunities due to cap restrictions, that might have worked for another premiership, or it may not have due to not having cash to spend in other positions.. we'll never know, but through all the doom and gloom i think we're now in a position to really identify that junior talent, start locking it up long term, rewarding those current players who do put in week in week out, securing their futures and identifying external options to bring in that can continue that 'squad over individual' mentality and hopefully continue to be strong across the whole field.
The money i think was too much to have tied up in two positions, imagine having that much on the sidelines if a season ending injury or two hit, it'd derail any clubs season. We need to continue to have a 'squad', not 'two stars and some ring ins', as good as both players are on the field and off, long term, we may just come out on top... we may not too, but lets just wait and see.

Yeah, well said. Some very good points. And it's why Souths and Roosters look good this year. A solid team across the park, a mix of young and older heads and players not demanding to much of the cap while still having a few super stars on their rooster (very similar to our 2011 side)

I think he's trying to weasel on a technicality - I'm of the opinion they hadn't agreed terms because he still hasn't stated why he then didn't lock it in. But the media won't pursue that - it's more fun to just make out like Manly pulled it and began dicking him around and poor little DCE is heart broken...

Like Foz is weasling on the technicality of committing to the Eels:mad:

DCE has good reasons to leave apart from the monies as he has issues with Snake etc.

What's Foz's gripe? He was pissed at a mate being released and now he is walking away from Snake, Matai, Matty, Killer, Ferris, Wolfie... @:cool:

I just don't get the love for Foz I must be missing something. Without Brent Kite this cat would have quit our club and joined Des so I don't fall for the crap that he loves the club. Foz if Andrew Johns can't make you a better player than maybe you are as good as you are going 2 be.

The Parramatta game showed that you can have the best halves in the business but without a strong forward pack they are useless.

The game has moved to strong forwards and average half backs.

Sandow and Norman looked like world beaters against our two. Hodkinson and Reynolds are SOO halves and looked good for NSW behind a good forward pack

The Parramatta game showed that you can have the best halves in the business but without a strong forward pack they are useless.

The game has moved to strong forwards and average half backs.

Sandow and Norman looked like world beaters against our two. Hodkinson and Reynolds are SOO halves and looked good for NSW behind a good forward pack

Very true. And the bunnies halves look world beaters behind their pack. And what about Panthers, lost Wallace mid season and had to rely solely on Soward - and almost got to the GF!

Manly originally offered him 1 million which was fair and he agreed. This was always going to be what he demanded on the open market. New deal sounds like it was more around 800k. Didn't Joe Kelly say DCE and Foran were priority signings?? Why take away a deal that he was happy with and then reduce it by 200k and tell him to look else where? Slap in the face and what are we too do now. Buy Trent or Maloney on near similar coin. No thanks

The poor bloke.

Imagine the thought that each fortnight you check out your online banking account, you've just seen your balance increase by only $15384, instead of $19230!!!

Definitely a pain I can share.

The interview with Sterling was orchestrated and he obviously had rehearsed his answers. The "I did it for my family" crap was sickening. It is simple, he went to the highest bidder and that happened to be the NRL.

Maybe Perry knew as Ryan did, that Foran was gone a long time ago and that's why he tabled the 1 million dollar offer. I'm sure if Foran had made his intentions known earlier then Manly would have given DCE this much money.

The long, drawn out decision making by both DCE and Foran made it very difficult for Manly to keep either of them.

Players like Lyon, Ballin, Matai have all signed on and even Snake has openly said he never asked for a release. Doesn't mean he would have re-signed but he played like classic Snake on Friday so his heart is still in it.
I watched at least one try against us last week where Snake's lack of effort in defence did not go unnoticed by me. I hope there was a reason for it and that it is not due to systemic issues that have affected the team over the last few years,

Also, and I will get howled down for this, if there is to be a clean out and rebuild then the rumours about us shopping around for a hooker are welcomed by me. Matt Ballin has been a terrific servant of the club but he seems to offer very little in attack these days and his ball distribution has a "tired" appearance to it. Making 40 tackles a game is admirable but a fast, attacking hooker is necessary in the modern game.

I agree Two Dogs. Money talks and bullcrap walks.The industry is no longer like the 70's and eighties where we now have a new breed of player and a new breed of management all wanting their cut.Its now like any industry where money is the leading influence.The music industry is no different. FAME IS A MASK THAT EATS INTO THE FACE

I am of thinking if perry was here he would have signed both...given his relationship with foz.

Agreed mate, Perry looked to have things under control and was doing a good job when he was at the club.

He should not have been sacked. Unfortunately he was aligned to Quantum and his big mistake was sacking Zorba which ended up leading to his own demise.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6