Manly dragged into Essendon mess

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
niccipops said:
Frogz said:
Now Orford comes outta the closet

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/former-nrl-star-matt-orford-tells-of-being-injected-with-calf-blood/story-fndv31ch-1226571727453
Was the calf in question gay?

Yes, blood is a secret codeword for sperm...

Settle Manly faithful pettles!

For the record:

Melbourne are officially cheating scum.

Ditto for Dogs.

Broncos salary cap investigation miraculously disappeared after a whistleblower decided to change their mind.

We are officially clean skins ATM and have been since 1947. Recognise that, enjoy that and the ultra-biased Daily Telegraph can smoke on my big one until proven otherwise.

This is where rothfield and co get their stories from rumours and innuendo. Why do posters feed the trolls?

BTW I'd just like to hello to phil who no doubt would be all over this forum for scoops:

HI PHIL

images

In the Tele they are saying that the NRL has no concern about Manly.
They have concern over the Sharks 2010-11 seasons

Fair enough too, They where up the top in 2008 come 2010-11 they where in the bottom 4.

I was trying to think of who Paul Kent was. It came back to me when I was scrubbing the turd off the side of the toilet bowl after my late night Mexican. He sparingly appears on the Sunday Roast. Funny the things that trigger memories.

Darren,

A bedtime story on dramas, insanity and bad luck.

Once upon a time a young lady won the lottery at age 26. She was overjoyed and placed the money in the bank. She wondered what to do with it, and hearing that there could be a financial crash decided property was too risky as was the share market so she left it alone. Her friends told her she was crazy because of the low interest rate, but she kept imagining losing it all in one bit of bad luck.

Then she heard how some banks had failed and then the DT warned her of bad economic times ahead. So every day she bought the DT, and read the stories of doom and loss and murder and fraud. She worried every day. Not that she could control what the bank did, but it seemed to be the right and responsible thing to do.

30 years later she was still worrying, having worried every day since winning the lottery. The stress finally took its toll, she had a heart attack and died, alone, miserable and stressed out.

If only she hadn't had the great misfortune of winning the lottery, eh?

Rex, remind me to catch up with you in the the afterlife to have a beer together and check up on Darren to see whether your message has penetrated.

KOMORI said:
Boy.... That ejaculated escalated quickly!!

I knew what you were thinking!

Anyway, to flog a dead horse (metaphorically speaking - not taking any chances the way this thread has gone) didn't the telegraph, about 4 paragraphs in, say that there is no question of any Manly wrong doing.

I swear out there (is a bear) is a storm looking at a teacup and saying: "Ok buddy, we're on!"

Cronulla insider claims players were offered banned peptides while Steve Dank was with club

Josh Massoud
The Daily Telegraph
February 07, 2013 12:00AM

NRL officials believe players from at least one club were given the same growth stimulants - known as peptides - that are now at the centre of the anti-doping investigation into AFL powerhouse Essendon.

Stephen Dank, the sports science guru embroiled in the scandal, consulted for half a dozen NRL clubs before crossing codes.

He spent five seasons under former Manly coach Des Hasler, but his brief stint at Cronulla in 2011 is causing most concern for League bosses. A Cronulla insider said peptides, a combination of amino-acids that promote the body's natural growth mechanisms, were offered to certain players during Dank's short tenure at the club.

The Daily Telegraph yesterday revealed that Sharks players were also given the widely used blood-thinning agent, Warfarin, to promote anaerobic capacity.

The move, however, backfired when several Warfarin users suffered mysterious bruising that sounded alarm bells through the club's medical staff.

Sharks doctor David Givney last night confirmed Dank's sudden departure related to a falling-out between the pair over the proper administration of supplements.

"Stephen was only at the club for a short time in 2011," Givney said. "He and I didn't see eye-to-eye over several things and we parted ways."

Givney would not publicly respond to the claims of peptide and Warfarin use. But it's understood his concerns related to a lack of knowledge about what substances Dank was giving the players.

"That's all I've been instructed to say," Givney added.

Certain varieties of peptide appear on both the 2011 and 2013 WADA prohibited list.

Cronulla's coaching staff are confident no players ingested any banned substances and that the club abided by proper protocol at all times.

Last May a Queensland-based rugby player and coach, Francis Burke, received a four year suspension for possession and trafficking of the banned stimulant, peptide-6.

There's no suggestion that Sharks coaching staff - or that of other NRL clubs that used Dank - had full knowledge of his supplement program. The physiologist also consulted for Souths, Wests Tigers, Penrith and St George Illawarra.

But the bulk of his trail-blazing work was refined at Manly, now famous for trialling injections derived from calf's blood in 2008. Dank introduced the Sea Eagles to Actovegin, a form of cortisone.

Former skipper Matt Orford yesterday revealed he was injected on two occasions to help overcome a groin complaint ahead of the 2008 grand final.

get a load of the headline

It's time for AFL and NRL to clean up acts and introduce blood passports before another premiership is tainted

Paul Kent
The Daily Telegraph

GREAT moments in bad timing: At 7.42am Manly issue a statement confirming the club did employ Stephen Dank, from 2006-10. He is the sports science guru at the centre of the doping allegations that have rocked Australian sport.

At 2.02pm former Manly skipper Matt Orford is quoted saying he had calf blood injected into his groin after the 2008 season, when the Sea Eagles finished premiers. The Sea Eagles have never publicly confirmed this.

My blood injections: Former Manly star Matt Orford

At 4.47pm the Bulldogs issue a statement saying Orford had joined the Bulldogs coaching staff, under his former Manly coach Des Hasler.

Suspect? The problem for the Bulldogs, for Manly, for everybody, is that our goodwill has been used up. The benefit of the doubt is gone.

Lance Armstrong, anyone?

The Armstrong case is yet to be closed and the two major football codes in Australia are in the foetal position. In Madrid a trial is currently under way into a Spanish doctor charged with masterminding a doping ring in world cycling. Six hundred blood samples have been frozen.

In New Orleans, Ray Lewis just helped Baltimore to a Super Bowl victory, the same week Sports Illustrated revealed he used a deer antler spray to return from a complete triceps tear, 10 weeks after suffering the injury. By way of comparison, three other players with the same injury in recent times were sidelined six months.

Miracle recoveries, stunning form turnarounds, smoke and mirrors sports science ... we now have a right to suspect if, for no other reason, nothing can ever be believed anymore.

Athletes continue to let us down. Our trust is misplaced.

And while we would like to believe that little old sports like ours, AFL and NRL, are clean, they are not.

Just yesterday, The Australian quoted AFL boss Andrew Demetriou confirming the AFL had secretly stood down players for serious breaches of its illicit drugs policy.

"Club doctors would tell the coach or the football manager that a certain player was not in a condition to play," he said. In other words, a cover-up. A disregard by the AFL to properly address its drug culture.

For years the International Cycling Union had the same whiff about it, refusing to address the drug allegations that dogged it. It wasn't until the sport bordered on farce that the UCI finally got serious, introducing "blood passports".

Unlike urine tests - which never caught Armstrong in more than 500 tests - which are bordering on becoming antique, blood passports record every blood sample, allowing them to be compared with previous samples for irregularities.

As one high-profile drug official said yesterday: "The samples are then monitored within parameters. If they're above or below it's an indication something has occurred."

The NRL is no cleaner.

Right now an NRL player is currently training with his new club after failing an in-house drug test before Christmas.

The NRL is unaware it even happened. The club is not obligated to inform the league.

Where this all ends, after Essendon's approach to the AFL to tell them they believe up to 80 per cent of their players were using a drug "on the edge" of legal, no one knows.

This is a beginning, not an end.

Drug agencies believe there are more revelations, from more clubs in both codes, to come given Dank's apparent reach.

The NRL is refusing to comment, but watching closely. How the NRL has not opened talks with Manly, though, is inexplicable. Wasn't it less than 12 months ago that David Gallop was sacked for being "reactive and not proactive"?

Where's the proactivity here?

Note again, for instance, the time of the Sea Eagles' statement, and marry it into what the statement said: "During that time, we never had any concerns. We always complied with all anti-doping protocols of the WADA Code and the NRL. The club will make no further comment."

They should. How could the Sea Eagles be so confident nothing happened? Essendon's confession was built on the admission it happened right under their noses.

Yet Manly are so confident the same didn't happen to them? Without any investigation?

Such was the speed of Manly's statement it ... only raised more suspicions.

Forget about us, Manly owes it to themselves to launch a proper, independent investigation to ensure their 2008 premiership is not stained.

And the NRL needs to stop watching and get involved.

In recent years coaches have openly admitted sports science is the last frontier to be explored.

It sounds like it already is.

Blood passports are the answer.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Cronulla insider claims players were offered banned peptides while Steve Dank was with club

Josh Massoud
The Daily Telegraph
. . .

Former skipper Matt Orford yesterday revealed he was injected on two occasions to help overcome a groin complaint ahead of the 2008 grand final.

Well done Josh. Could have sworn Ox said it was after the grand final, not ahead of it.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:

Josh Massoud
The Daily Telegraph
. . .

Well done Josh. Could have sworn Ox said it was after the grand final, not ahead of it.

sent him a tweet

Don't know about peptides but I'm sure warfarin is a prescription-only medication. Need to be prescribed by the doctor not just the 'sports scientist'.

DUFFMAN said:
In the Tele they are saying that the NRL has no concern about Manly.
They have concern over the Sharks 2010-11 seasons

Fair enough too, They where up the top in 2008 come 2010-11 they where in the bottom 4.

I wonder if the Sharks will have any of their premierships stripped.

Anyone who gives a sports person warfarin is an idiot. Someone could have suffered internal bleeding during a game and bled to death.

Massive Press Conference today at 10am, apparently will name names and be Australia's Lance Armstrong moment for the NRL.....

Doesn't sound good

The Grill Team went past their usual 9am finish and had a brief interview with Paul Kent and he would have used the word Manly several times and Essendon once or twice.

For once its semi safe for me to be a Dogs supporter

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/breaking-news/blog/crime-commission-about-to-drop-a-sporting-bombsehll/

I tell you, I have a really bad feeling about this, the media are all over May and I think they are all going to try and hang us somehow!

I remember at the time in 08 when the calls blood thing came up, I thought we had all the drug experts in and we were cleared.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8