Manly dragged into Essendon mess

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Brookie said:
matthew jons is saying the next 48 hours will be the biggest new for league fans ever!
talking about large groups of players being banned fro certain clubs?
i'll do my 'nana if manly are involved afet all the talk back in 2008 that we did nothing wrong!

Mat johns used PEDs in a nz hotel room when his wife wasn't there! Jokes but I'm sure he hopes it was bigger than his scandals.

Considering melbourne have had no serious injuries for about 4 years now, I dont think they would be out of the equasion.

ManlyBacker said:
The NRL has announced an Integrity Unit
…
Hopefully not headed by Ian Schubert
[edit - to clarify: not due to him lacking integrity, just due to his unimpressive record when it comes to investigations] :)

SeaEagleRock8 said:
It won't involve Manly or Melbourne.

How can you be so sure?

“@proshenks: Breaking news: The ARLC have commissioned Deloitte to audit Manly's sports science unit #NRL”

Ceagle said:
Mate it wouldnt surprise me if the team was taking it, crazed Hasler would try anything to gain an advantage. The rumored substance that Essedon are taking is near impossible to detect. Not saying that we did but not saying that we didnt, just don't think that Manly would never do such a thing because we are 'Manly'
So now we are being investigated, called it earlier. People are naive to think this doesnt go on, just hope the evidence shows that we were taking peps before they were banned in 2011, prevent us from our premierships form being stripped

Brookie said:
matthew jons is saying the next 48 hours will be the biggest new for league fans ever!
i'll do my 'nana if manly are involved afet all the talk back in 2008 that we did nothing wrong!

Yes, but his radio show also said the 10am announcement was going to be huuuuuge with lots of fall out.

So don't hold your breath - especially over the next 48hours.

You'll turn blue.

Initially.

Then you'll be brookie smurf.

Then just dead.

RL Gronk said:
The real concen here is how secretive Des Hasler was during his time at manly.
Things like not allowing access to certain areas of narrabeen training base and restricting access to the rooms post game.

I'm not questioning his integrity on this but it was common knowledge he was open to the use of cutting edge sports science whose to say somewhere he has copped some misleading advice that has put our club at risk.

This is another reason that proves a coach should never have the kind of power des had at manly ever again.

I take comfort from the fact our club has some very good people in the football department people like steve gigg and don singe.

Agreed, but still a bit nervy about what could go down.

You just never know for sure.

Question for those that listen to the Matt Johns show on MMM: what percentage of his predictions would you say he gets right?

Less the 25% ?

These people better have the evidence to back up their claims.

All will be revealed in the fullness of time.

Brissie Kid said:
Doping agency's eye on calves' blood

Jacquelin Magnay and Brad Walter
July 5, 2008

The World Anti-Doping Agency has taken a close interest in revelations Manly Sea Eagles and other Australian sporting teams have been injecting calves' blood.

Spokesman Frederick Donze told the Herald his agency was closely monitoring the use of the calves' blood extract, also known as Actovegin. "We are aware of its use in some sports, possibly in conjunction with other substances…" he said.

The agency constantly updated its banned list, but gave no indication that Actovegin would be added any time soon.

While there have been cases of high-profile Australian athletes travelling to Germany for injections of the extract, it appears that Manly has been the first Australian team to source a local and reliable supply of the controversial substance.

Spanish cyclist Jesus Manzano, who spilled the beans on his drug-taking during the Tour de France, admitted combining an animal product, Oxyglobin, with the steroid nandrolone and Actovegin.

Donze said Actovegin had been thoroughly laboratory tested and there was no evidence that the product contained blood cells susceptible to increase oxygen transport. He said the laboratories could also find no evidence of growth hormone or prohibited hormones in the product.

But the added international scrutiny has put extra pressure on the NRL to ensure Manly are not inadvertently breaking agency rules.

Under its code, injecting Actovegin into veins is illegal and would result in a two-year ban.

However, it is not illegal to inject the substance into muscles.

Manly insiders claim they have been using Actovegin in soft tissue - hamstrings, Achilles tendons and groins - to hasten recovery, and that all substances are checked with the agency's code to ensure legality.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said Manly was within its rights to use the product.

"We rely on WADA for clear direction on these types of substances and certainly, if they were to change their current view, then that would be the end of it," Gallop said.

Actovegin's main ingredient comes from calves aged under six months and is sourced from Australia, as the country is free of mad cow disease.

Medically, it is used to stimulate circulation in the brain and help treat other neurological disturbances, as well as skin grafts and burns.

Manly players say they use Actovegin only to treat injuries, mainly hamstring or groin problems, and it is injected into the muscle - not intravenously.

The players are given the option of whether they want to use Actovegin to help their recovery but most seem to believe it is beneficial to the treatment of soft-tissue injuries. It has also been suggested that another benefit is that it combats fatigue.

At least one player at a rival club is thought to have inquired about Actovegin after being sidelined by an injury this season. But none of the 10 clubs surveyed by the Herald this week said their players had used it.

However, St George Illawarra and the Sydney Roosters admitted they had considered using Actovegin but were yet to be convinced of its benefits. The Broncos have also looked into using the substance.

"It is one of those things that has been investigated in the past but a lot of the research that I personally have seen isn't conclusive into the benefits of it," Brisbane performance director Jeremy Hickman told ABC radio's The World Today program. "It is obviously something we do keep in mind but not something we use at present.

"You are always looking for that edge but, you know, I think you have got to make sure you get all the basics right first, and any edge you are looking for is proven and has got a good amount of research behind it."

The Herald understands a number of AFL clubs use Actovegin to treat injuries.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/doping-agencys-eye-on-calves-blood/2008/07/04/1214951041583.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Interesting read

master blaster said:
wonder if the club will respond to ease the fear of the fans

Expect a media release in the near future stating that the club is assisting the NRL in its investigations, etc.

master blaster said:

Their press release the other day said they would be making no further comment.

The Manly Warringah Sea Eagles fully support and will cooperate with any investigations by The National Rugby League, Federal and State authorities.
We applaud the Federal Government’s efforts to improve the integrity of all professional sport in Australia and condemn unreservedly any use of illegal performance enhancing substances by players.
We are unaware of any of these issues at our Club or in the game.

bones said:
master blaster said:

Their press release the other day said they would be making no further comment.
thanks Bones

COMMANDER said:
The Manly Warringah Sea Eagles fully support and will cooperate with any investigations by The National Rugby League, Federal and State authorities.
We applaud the Federal Government’s efforts to improve the integrity of all professional sport in Australia and condemn unreservedly any use of illegal performance enhancing substances by players.
We are unaware of any of these issues at our Club or in the game.
and thanks Commander as well

funny how there is none of this linked to Cricket,no wonder our batsman are not doing so crash hot at the moment and our bowlers are falling over like flies,they stoped taking them,lol.

manlyfan76 said:
Brookie said:

Mat johns used PEDs in a nz hotel room when his wife wasn't there! Jokes but I'm sure he hopes it was bigger than his scandals.

LOL Matt Johns

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4