Manly football department had to change

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It is easy to re write history as Mr Penn has done here. I challenge any coach to deal with what Toovey had to deal with in 2014/15 when the club was pretty much being destroyed by a wedge driven out of greed and got away from what made the club so successful in that where together and united.

The Penn clan are as much responsible for the dysfunction that engulfed the club at the time. I think it is poor that our marquee halves wanted out and that we had to pay massive overs to then keep one of them.

The lessons to be learned from this period need to be heeded in that never again will a clique of players be allowed to think they are bigger than the club.

I am personally glad that the club is now free of players who dont share the values of which the club has. To see them running around in games over this period was excruciating to be honest knowing they were not totally committed in spite of what they said.

What Penn has failed to do is be totally honest about the circumstances that our first grade coach had to cope with in pre-season 15 and late 14. the Glenn Stewart drama was a measure of the dysfunction and the lack of communication to the senior playing group destroyed the culture of the team.

Toovey no doubt will respond to this article and to his credit has kept his pride and dignity and never hidden his love for the club after being ushered in to deal with the train wreck that unfolded after Dog Des pissed off and leave a bloody mess. The club had no chance in 15, not a cats chance in hell with our halves negotiating and so distracted with their protracted contract talks which affected the team in a massive way. The

The time has come to heal the wounds. The changes have been made as painful as they are, it is refreshing to know that we have a player group focused on the challenges ahead and that hopefully this new team can build its own winning culture.

As fans we have been so privileged to see a successful club for so long and all I want to see from our owners is no more spin, dysfunction but results. This is our 70 th year and I want to know as a fan and member of 40 years where my club is heading on and off the field. The Penn's are the current custodians of the club but they will NEVER own the fabric. That belongs to all the players, officials, members and fans who have made the club what it is.

That is the challenge Mr Penn!!

Fact: After the Gift debacle (when he signed with Souffs in April 2014) Manly continued to dominate the 2014 premiership and were sitting pretty 4 points clear on the ladder in early August (that's more than 3 months later for those playing at home) before injuries mounted and a loss to the cowboys in the last game meant we again just missed out on the minor premiership. The injury-hit team then lost to both grand finalists, with the bulldogs loss a controversial but gutsy extra time knockout.

Clearly it was the Gift thing though right?
Right, your memory is a little shaky. The week after it became clear that Gifty wouldn't play again for Manly due to his injuries and that there would be no farewell game the slide began.

Arthurson would never air dirty linen in public. Neither would any half-decent CEO.
But owners of course can do as they please. Nevertheless I frankly find it impossible to see how any positives can come from publicly rehashing those events now.

Right, your memory is a little shaky. The week after it became clear that Gifty wouldn't play again for Manly due to his injuries and that there would be no farewell game the slide began.

My shaky memory tells me we came out and demolished the Raiders at Brookie immediately after the Gifty announcement (13th minute clapping or some such) and were 4 points clear when we lost to Souffs at the SCG in August before acumulating injuries with a shocker at Parramatta and a last minute win over the Panthers at Brookie but were still in top spot before Round 26 in Townsville.

That's off the top of my head but feel free to look it up and correct me if any of that is wrong.

To be honest I did feel like form was patchy through 2014 but I thought we were talking about facts and form can't have been too bad if we were on top of the ladder in August.

Anyway, I think its 2016 now so hopefully we aren't still doing post mortems on this season in another 2 years!

The rot set in in the 2014 off season-that's when all the whining and divisiveness set into the team ie Choc & Foran etc
Thats when DCE became the whipping boy!

Fact: Quantum controlled the Board when the Gift contract debacle occurred.
Fact: The Penn faction wanted to offer Gift a contract.
Fact: After the Gift debacle the Team attitude collapsed and we exited 2014 with a whimper.
Fact: New Management requested change and offered funds to do it.
Fact: After 7 rounds of 2015 we were 1-7.
Fact: The new Management commissioned an external consultant (Bozo) to advise them on the best way forward.
Fact: The new management took the advice of that consultant and chose the path they are now on and paid out IN FULL the contract of the current coach.

These are simple facts when viewed dispassionately. To conclude from these facts that one person or another has been wronged is to cease to be dispassionate.

Could things have been done better, yes, but I have seen this precise process occur many times over when business get a new owner. NRL clubs are now a business whether or not we the fans like it. If an owner is going to invest $$millions then they have a right to set teh strategic direction and move forward with executing that plan.
You do realise that your list of objective "facts" is mere cherry picking of arguments to support a pre-determined agenda. Don't you?

And that it would be a trivial matter to put together a similar list of objective facts/arguments that supports the opposite agenda?

FACT: 'BOZO' - obvious Penn Puppet. You are only feeding everyone half the story. How are Joe and Neil these days?
I am not a puppet I am Sea eagle and who the #@% is Joe and Niel ???
lol

Last edited:
I couldn't finish reading the article, knowing how full of **** this guy is.

The owners have kicked massive goals with regards to recruitment. That is the only praise I have to give them.

I've warmed to Trent Barrett and I hope he is his own man with regards to coaching this club.

Where was the offer to another club legend and Clive Churchill medalist Brent Kite?
He actually played a good season for the panthers before he got injured and also would have been great at bringing up the younger forwards.

My shaky memory tells me we came out and demolished the Raiders at Brookie immediately after the Gifty announcement (13th minute clapping or some such) and were 4 points clear when we lost to Souffs at the SCG in August before acumulating injuries with a shocker at Parramatta and a last minute win over the Panthers at Brookie but were still in top spot before Round 26 in Townsville.

That's off the top of my head but feel free to look it up and correct me if any of that is wrong.

To be honest I did feel like form was patchy through 2014 but I thought we were talking about facts and form can't have been too bad if we were on top of the ladder in August.

Anyway, I think its 2016 now so hopefully we aren't still doing post mortems on this season in another 2 years!

I'm really not sure what Ralphie is trying to manufacture but just about all of the info in your original post was correct. We did sit 4 points adrift at the top of the ladder in the 1st week of August. It's a shame that he had to take a snipe at you with the shaky memory remark even though your telling of events was accurate.

While there may have been disharmony in the team, I think Ballin and Buhrer's injuries were the biggest things that killed our run in the finals. They were incredibly valuable to our side. I reckon we could have got to the grand final if those two were fit but no one was going to stop Souths that year.

Last edited:
Why don't everyone that's got a gripe with the management,just get over it ,it's history what happened last year this is a new dawn for this great club , I say we as eagle fans should imbrace this new team and support them all the way,yes there may be some theething problems but hey they'll sort them,so come on get behind the mighty eagles all together.eagles 4 everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr till I die

Why don't everyone that's got a gripe with the management,just get over it ,it's history what happened last year this is a new dawn for this great club , I say we as eagle fans should imbrace this new team and support them all the way,yes there may be some theething problems but hey they'll sort them,so come on get behind the mighty eagles all together.eagles 4 everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr till I die

Exactly! It is history! So why is Penn talking sh!t in the papers about the past when he should be getting excited about the future? That's what started this whole thread after all!!

Trauma takes some time to move on from.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
We are all behind our mighty Sea eagles . We are not all behind the sht that happened in the last few years but I agree with what you say and we should be grateful that we are all part of the greatest club of all the Manly Sea eagles !!!

Why do the Owners and their lackies constantly fill the Media with their past angst - that's the real question. :wondering:

We are merely commenting on another unwarranted attack on those who love and supported Manly as long as a lot of us have :cool:

Blaming their most expensive and only lifetime contract player for the restructure is truly dumb :confused:

The first part of the article states that in 2014 Penn mooted the restructure, the same year that Chez was extending his contract. This was then withdrawn by Penn when he took full control in October, 2014. Ridiculous to later claim, in the very same article then, that Chez went to the Titans due to Toovey :shake:

Arthurson would never air dirty linen in public. Neither would any half-decent CEO.
But owners of course can do as they please. Nevertheless I frankly find it impossible to see how any positives can come from publicly rehashing those events now.

It's really time to move on, I'm trying as hard as I can and bet that even @BOZO is proud of how curtailed I've been lately ( perhaps @The Wheel got to me after all) but I agree, there's just nothing to be won by releasing a story like this.

Being behind the Sea Eagles doesn't make us yes-men and yes-women.

There is a difference between support and blind submission. It's up to the individual what stance each takes.
Come now Rex, BOZO (stop shouting Boze!) was simply following orders.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6