Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters
I am also very worried about the obvious Penn v Hasler problems. Penn had issues with Des previously however still got him back. Surely they can make this work. In my opinion Hasler should be given an extension to end of 2024 at least.

Funny our Karen from marketing kept it a secret too most of the football dept.

And , the week that these 3 players were chosen to model the jersey .. we also had 3 players who would of been unavailable to model because of covid iso ... Jake, Croker and Davey ..

So the mathematical probability of Karen randomly choosing 3 of the regular 17 first grade players , and ending up with 3 vanilla's who could be predicted to have no religious issues, to advance model the jersey ... is ... wait for it ... one (1) chance in 91 ...

Karen knew there would be a shiittee fight ... just hoped to drop it on them without time to react ..

The millions that the Penns have put into the club are from the profit they made on the sale of the leagues club

They also expect to make a handsome profit on their investment in Manly when they eventually sell

People like them don't put money into something without expecting to make a good profit form it

The millions that the Penns have put into the club are from the profit they made on the sale of the leagues club

They also expect to make a handsome profit on their investment in Manly when they eventually sell

People like them don't put money into something without expecting to make a good profit form it
You make a really good point Tookey. Have you noticed since PVL took over and cut the fat from the NRL HQ there's been no stories about clubs losing money or clubs being on the verge of bankruptcy.

Your right when they do sell they will make a profit. But that's after a decade of propping up loses like Max Delemege before them.

@Cameron i don’t always agree with your posts but you’ve hit the nail on the head here mate.
I’ve always backed Penn and been appreciative of the money his family has tipped in.

But now we are at tipping point, he absolutely has to go. He has led the club to every iceberg possible making us out to be the titanic.

To throw Des under the bus for a woke marketing ploy gone wrong says a lot about Mr Penn and the phoney he is.

There is other suitors out there who are cashed up and love the club a whole lot more than him.

Sayonara Scotty, thanks for not much.

The performance clauses currently in place are not enough - this post is way off the mark.
Again I'd ask the question would It had been ok to put these rubbish clauses on Bob Fulton.

Here's some facts about our club and coaches

In the last 40 years we have only had 8 coaches.

Ray Ritchie
Bob Fulton
Alan Thompson
Graham Lowe
Des Hasler
Geoff Toovey
Peter Sharp
Trent Barrett

Fulton And Haslers records are head and shoulders about the rest.
Only Toovey and Ray Ritchie out of the others have got us to a Grand Final.

Fact Des hasn't lost his ability as a coach he got us to a game away from a GF last year.

Fulton wouldn't have been treated this way and neither should des its a disgrace.

Cambo the issue for me across all these issues is (and this is pure speculation from my part...well an educated guess) is lack of both investment and governance.

I appreciate that they have tipped in a large amount of $ however there are several areas that have been lacking for a number of years

1. Membership. Our offering and engagement levels have not evolved or improved at all over the years, I have stated many times that the only explanation for this is that there is a number of members they are satisfied for which means that there is no need for further investment
2. Marketing. This has been patchy and poor for a number of years. While there has been a dramatic improvement on social media (primarily Tik Tok), several brand fundamentals that have not evolved. An example of this is the failure to effectively communicate/explain the lack of a reserve grade
3. Communications. Do I even need to spell this out?
4. Governance. I have worked in small and large organizations, successful and not. The clear lack of governance structures is a failure of the CEO / owners. To blame "marketing" for the jersey debacle is an easy scapegoat - they would not have acted in a manner unless they were either given the freedom to or there were not the structures in place to regulate.

And that does not include game day experience, retention, merch, and 10 other problems which I could not be bothered writing about.

All this leads me to believe that in terms of $ and effort they are happy to put in what this current "normal" is and we can not expect change until they either change or are changed

Again I'd ask the question would It had been ok to put these rubbish clauses on Bob Fulton.
Not sure that anyone had clauses back in Fulton's day. The world has moved on.
But while we're looking back at history, Hasler WALKED OUT on a contract with this club in the past.
He also was very focused on contract when taking the Bulldogs to court.
With that in mind, I'd absolutely have him on such clauses.

Not sure that anyone had clauses back in Fulton's day. The world has moved on.
But while we're looking back at history, Hasler WALKED OUT on a contract with this club in the past.
He also was very focused on contract when taking the Bulldogs to court.
With that in mind, I'd absolutely have him on such clauses.
With respect if you read my original post des walked out in 2011 after being treated poorly in 2010

Cambo the issue for me across all these issues is (and this is pure speculation from my part...well an educated guess) is lack of both investment and governance.

I appreciate that they have tipped in a large amount of $ however there are several areas that have been lacking for a number of years

1. Membership. Our offering and engagement levels have not evolved or improved at all over the years, I have stated many times that the only explanation for this is that there is a number of members they are satisfied for which means that there is no need for further investment
2. Marketing. This has been patchy and poor for a number of years. While there has been a dramatic improvement on social media (primarily Tik Tok), several brand fundamentals that have not evolved. An example of this is the failure to effectively communicate/explain the lack of a reserve grade
4. Governance. I have worked in small and large organizations, successful and not. The clear lack of governance structures is a failure of the CEO / owners. To blame "marketing" for the jersey debacle is an easy scapegoat - they would not have acted in a manner unless they were either given the freedom to or there were not the structures in place to regulate.

And that does not include game day experience, retention, merch, and 10 other problems which I could not be bothered writing about.

All this leads me to believe that in terms of $ and effort they are happy to put in what this current "normal" is and we can not expect change until they either change or are changed
Nailed many of the issues in this post

Small clarification. It was two blokes, not a Karen. Perhaps Gary and Cameron?

Great post mate.

We post the lol at parr,and bulldogs threads etc...But we need a "FMD this club is fractured" post I think. THere are some big issues, between many factions, in this joint IMO

Last edited:
And , the week that these 3 players were chosen to model the jersey .. we also had 3 players who would of been unavailable to model because of covid iso ... Jake, Croker and Davey ..

So the mathematical probability of Karen randomly choosing 3 of the regular 17 first grade players , and ending up with 3 vanilla's who could be predicted to have no religious issues, to advance model the jersey ... is ... wait for it ... one (1) chance in 91 ...

Karen knew there would be a shiittee fight ... just hoped to drop it on them without time to react ..
Depending on whether you class DCE as one of those "vanillas" then the probability is much higher than 1 in 91

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10
10 5 5 -13 10