Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters
@Mark from Brisbane a very interesting point was made by Brent Read on the Sunday footy show. The great coaches have all mentored successors. Bennett , Bellamy, Robinson have given the nrl several coaches. Des has given none. Why ? Because the guy is a narcissist. DCE is in the same class. These 2 believe they alone have all the answers, that their way is the right way. Look at the carnage Des left the Dogs in.
For DCE he lost respect back in 2012 when he pushed for salary upgrades which threw him way offside with the players who took unders to keep a premiership team together. Then the backflip fiasco sealed our fate for a decade of underachieving due to unbalanced salary cap.
Watch the way DCE plays. It's all about self preservation , reason why he's hardly ever been injured. Our right side defense has been a shambles for years. He is a good halfback but he is not a leader of men, he's not a game manager, he's not someone who'll say come with me and do the hard yards when it's needed like Munster, Cleary, Hunt, Keary, Reynolds do.
In answer to your question Yes they have both lost the respect to lead a group of young men into battle.

@Mark from Brisbane a very interesting point was made by Brent Read on the Sunday footy show. The great coaches have all mentored successors. Bennett , Bellamy, Robinson have given the nrl several coaches. Des has given none. Why ? Because the guy is a narcissist. DCE is in the same class. These 2 believe they alone have all the answers, that their way is the right way. Look at the carnage Des left the Dogs in.
For DCE he lost respect back in 2012 when he pushed for salary upgrades which threw him way offside with the players who took unders to keep a premiership team together. Then the backflip fiasco sealed our fate for a decade of underachieving due to unbalanced salary cap.
Watch the way DCE plays. It's all about self preservation , reason why he's hardly ever been injured. Our right side defense has been a shambles for years. He is a good halfback but he is not a leader of men, he's not a game manager, he's not someone who'll say come with me and do the hard yards when it's needed like Munster, Cleary, Hunt, Keary, Reynolds do.
In answer to your question Yes they have both lost the respect to lead a group of young men into battle.
Can’t disagree with any of that as well. But if so boy has Tony Mestrov got a job to do

No doubt HK you'd be a champion leader on the field, and off. I can tell by your savvy understanding of the working man's sport, the intellectual's grasp of classical politics and the bridled solemn poetry of your prose,
I wish we had someone like Paul Gallen to lead this mob out of the doldrums.
Knowing and being able to do are two different things, TEE. ;)

Yeah, I'd be happy to see a more gladiatorial leader on the field for us... even Gal, despite his lack of poetic prose. @:D

Unfortunately, the club needs more characters in key positions than simply the captain on the field... and the number one area, IMO, is the type of owner we have.

Winning masks a lot of things but loosing exposes it more
Manly has been for a while now when they are winning all things seem great but as soon as a few losses happen it just gets worse and they can’t get out of it
The club doesn’t appear to be connected from top to bottom , and that could be from Coach to head office , Coach to the younger generation and same with the captain .
There is a divide there somewhere where the whole team from top to bottom can’t row a boat straight
Id be more leaning to Des being the problem more than DCE
It has to effect the player and his mates when they get limited game time to be named on the bench and not get a run till last minutes , Young people today don’t want to wait. ( not all but a lot )
Footy is different these days and Des still thinks it’s the same I believe .
A lot of the game plan and structures that they work on in training comes back to the coaching staff not DCE. DCE may have in input but it’s more the coaching staff and that there is where the problems may be

Bring back Watmough to do some coaching - to toughen up our defence, leg speed, show aggression and become fit to play 80 mins.

Cliff Lyons to coach Schuster at 5/8th

Kelly Egan was with Des at the Dogs, then general manager at the Tigers and now recruitment manager at the Raiders.
Bingo your a legend @ALinda I couldn't remember his name. He worked well with des.

People saying Hales shoild go it won't happen he is rated highly apparently.

Just read on Twitter that Zorba said on radio this morning - surely someone can check, I'm not about to chase it - that Donny, Managhan, and Randall are all going.
I'm just the messenger - don't shoot me!

I'm hoping this is just part of Mestrov's fact finding operation and standard due diligence.

I consider him a good operator so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.
Yes of course

But will he and or the owner have the intestinal fortitude to act if it’s discovered that this is the case.

Just read on Twitter that Zorba said on radio this morning - surely someone can check, I'm not about to chase it - that Donny, Managhan, and Randall are all going.
I'm just the messenger - don't shoot me!
So that’s how Des fixes things is it , when things go wrong sack everyone else around you because it’s their fault and not yours ??

The clubs woes started long before the pride round. The issues run long and deep. Dce's massive contract is a start, he is not a leader and team mates don't respect him,he is not a game manager and is responsible for numerous loses yet management extend his contact again. We have paid overs for Tom and Jake and therefore can't attract quality props. The clubs decision to sit on its hands in Manase's standown and not look for a quality hooker has screwed the club for three years. And then there's the coach. A control freak and a conservative that the modern game has passed by. His game plans are boring his use of the bench is abysmal and his dithering in blooding youth is maddening. The team looks slow and off the pace Tom's stellar year in 2021 has painted over the cracks. We need the penns to play an uncle nick's role yet they are tightarses. The solutions are a take over by URM a new coach with innovative assistants, Toovey to be the head of football, and anew fitness conditioner.
I give a dislike to posts that keep blaming the 7 for our problems. It shows a complete lack of understanding of tolerance and respect from those that shout it the loudest.Dislike away!
@highlandeagle no I'm not going to dislike your post. I'm glad I asked for your contribution, and thank you for responding.

Reading your post actually shows we don't disagree on everything, and actually, you have highlighted the really deep problem - deeper than the 7 - we have no leaders!

You are right, DCE has not behaved like a leader. He says all the nice words, but does not hold his teammates to account. Des is not longer the leader he was . Instead he looks like a snake-oil salesman spruiking all his technical detail each week on what went wrong, yet fails to mention when the team don't put their bodies on the line or make the recovery tackles in broken play. They look pathetic out there, and Des won't admit it. His press conference reveal nothing and are at best painful to watch. How can we fix a problem if he keeps denying we have one?.

Worse still, and hear me out, where your thoughts and mine come together to uncover the real problem is this:

By Des and DCE stepping up to defend Jerseygate it made them look like the leaders. As we have said, they are not. Yet in the background, and avoiding accountability are the real leaders and influencers who have kept their traps firmly shut - i.e the Executives at the Manly club for their total mismanagement of this and other debacles this year, and the leader of the 7 who could have stepped up like a leader and explained why they boycotted that game. That's all we fans would have needed. This is not about gay rights, or Polynesians, or any label you could want to put to this - it is about stepping up as human beings and giving their perspective to us. We are not stupid. We know and agree the 7 were not given enough time to consider the situation, and by stepping up like leaders and explaining themselves we would have understood and moved on.

However, by these execs and the 7 leadership not stepping up and talking like leaders, they have disrespected all of us as paying fans of Manly, and now we are all suffering for it. Instead, we have these two fake leaders stepping up and saying words that are contrary to their actions as coach and team captain. Empty words.

So here we are. The team is falling apart on and off the field, the 7 are isolated as part of the team and also rightly by us, and we as fans are left isolated, and there is no communication between any of us.

That's why we are all angry, because we truly fear long-term repercussions for this club that could have been avoided.

NYEagle

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8