Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters
Mark, my idle thoughts,

I have a bright, intelligent hard working son in his late 20's on his way to a successful life ... I have known him all his life, cared for him, loved him, nurtured him, tutored and mentored him ... BUT at least 5 times a week on issues big and small, he tells me my attitudes and principles by which I ran my companies and staff ... no longer apply .. it's a new age.

So, if 2 people so close can be so different in today's world ....

How can a 60's year old coach living in millionaires row in Collaroy relate to the attitudes and demands of young men from such a different background .. ?

It was possible when there was only one or two in a team, they tended to buy in to the prevailing club culture, but with close on 50% ... they bring a whole new experience .. which needs to be understood, accepted and incorporated ...

So, not saying he has lost the dressing room ... but both he an DCE would certainly have a job relating in the brave new world of football ...

To me the fallout from rainbowgate won't be a falling out in the playing group ... but an emotional disconnect between the polynesian players and the club .. and the fans ... regardless of what we might think, all the players would be fully aware of what the feral fans are saying here on Silvertails and other social media ... and IMO having their culture, beliefs and integrity abused and denegrated has caused hurt and a disconnect ...
I think this is a very logical and well thought out response.

And probably very close to what’s happening.

100% They both have, 100%.
Dce has never ever had full support of the playing group and should never have been made captain. He divides fans and players alike, only have to look at silvertails to see that’s true. And divisive characters should never be captain. Captains should be universally liked, especially by the players.

As for Des, it’s clear from the past 4 weeks that he’s not inspiring the playing group. Look at the dribble in his press conference’s, is he drunk?? Imagine being a young player trying to decipher game plans? He should be quietly let go with respect for his past achievements but his time has come.
I can’t actually disagree with that.

My personal view is that Pridegate isn’t to blame , possibly it’s a adjunct to rather than the whole blame.

I’ve stuck with the view that the players ( most ) would be reasonably tight knit and would have moved on with each other ( but probably not the club ). Interesting that Jake brokered the “ settle the dust “ meeting and not the Captain , to me that’s telling.

Yes injuries have been very cruel to us this year and no team will compete on a finals series with the number out we have.

BUT what I’m seeing on the field ( apart from a couple ) is a “ I no longer give a **** attitude “.

Now that has to stem directly to the coach / captain.

So I’m now in the 99% sure bundle that both have lost the playing group.

Boy oh boy Tony Mestrov you have one hell of a job on your hands.

Wonder how long it’ll be until the media run with the story , a few days maybe ??
The media are lazy and will just blame it on TomT’s absence and the jersey fiasco.They’ll get months of headlines out of them excuses without having to do any research or digging deep into the situation and the moronic majority will go along with it whilst us Manly fans will know it’s deeper than just two issues.Just be prepared for the “very funny” replies like “Manly show no pride in their jersey”

By the way happy to get some opposing views , no answer is wrong , and it’s not a bashing excercise rather just a “ yes they have , yes he has , or no they haven’t “.

I don't think Des lost the dressing room in the first instance. That was the Rainbowgate which was obviously not of his doing. It is possible that some other stuff has gone down. Perhaps he has alienated some of the younger players by not picking them and sticking with some mediocre guys in front of them. But that part is just speculation.

But the issue that has materialized is that Des hasn't been able to bring this fractured playing group back together. They aren't playing for him and they have as a team given up.

So no matter how it happened and who was at fault - yes the dressing room has been lost.

DCE appears to me to be a politician, and no gladiator. His team will "follow" him while things are going their way. However, when $hit hits the fan, the niceties mean nothing and the truth is exposed.

He seems to fit the archetypal Roman senator. All the symbolical power, but not a soldier's love of the general.
No doubt HK you'd be a champion leader on the field, and off. I can tell by your savvy understanding of the working man's sport, the intellectual's grasp of classical politics and the bridled solemn poetry of your prose,
I wish we had someone like Paul Gallen to lead this mob out of the doldrums.

The clubs woes started long before the pride round. The issues run long and deep. Dce's massive contract is a start, he is not a leader and team mates don't respect him,he is not a game manager and is responsible for numerous loses yet management extend his contact again. We have paid overs for Tom and Jake and therefore can't attract quality props. The clubs decision to sit on its hands in Manase's standown and not look for a quality hooker has screwed the club for three years. And then there's the coach. A control freak and a conservative that the modern game has passed by. His game plans are boring his use of the bench is abysmal and his dithering in blooding youth is maddening. The team looks slow and off the pace Tom's stellar year in 2021 has painted over the cracks. We need the penns to play an uncle nick's role yet they are tightarses. The solutions are a take over by URM a new coach with innovative assistants, Toovey to be the head of football, and anew fitness conditioner.
I give a dislike to posts that keep blaming the 7 for our problems. It shows a complete lack of understanding of tolerance and respect from those that shout it the loudest.Dislike away!
Appreciate this, Highland. It's good to hear your thoughts and I also agree there is a lot of truth to what you have shared. I think we have a divide along the 7 issue. For what it's worth, I don't blame the 7 solely for the position we are in. I do, however, hold them accountable for decisions they have made and the impact that has had on the team and club. I think Budge has given a good summary above, so no need to go over it. Cheers.

I don't think Des lost the dressing room in the first instance. That was the Rainbowgate which was obviously not of his doing. It is possible that some other stuff has gone down. Perhaps he has alienated some of the younger players by not picking them and sticking with some mediocre guys in front of them. But that part is just speculation.

But the issue that has materialized is that Des hasn't been able to bring this fractured playing group back together. They aren't playing for him and they have as a team given up.

So no matter how it happened and who was at fault - yes the dressing room has been lost.
So you’re in the “ by Des” only camp??

100% They both have, 100%.
Dce has never ever had full support of the playing group and should never have been made captain. He divides fans and players alike, only have to look at silvertails to see that’s true. And divisive characters should never be captain. Captains should be universally liked, especially by the players.

As for Des, it’s clear from the past 4 weeks that he’s not inspiring the playing group. Look at the dribble in his press conference’s, is he drunk?? Imagine being a young player trying to decipher game plans? He should be quietly let go with respect for his past achievements but his time has come.
Spot on with DCE you either love him or hate him perhaps the playing group have similar feelings. Woodsie can you organise a poll for the playing group?

My personal view is that Pridegate isn’t to blame , possibly it’s a adjunct to rather than the whole blame.

I’ve stuck with the view that the players ( most ) would be reasonably tight knit and would have moved on with each other ( but probably not the club ). Interesting that Jake brokered the “ settle the dust “ meeting and not the Captain , to me that’s telling.

Yes injuries have been very cruel to us this year and no team will compete on a finals series with the number out we have.

BUT what I’m seeing on the field ( apart from a couple ) is a “ I no longer give a **** attitude “.

Now that has to stem directly to the coach / captain.

So I’m now in the 99% sure bundle that both have lost the playing group.

Boy oh boy Tony Mestrov you have one hell of a job on your hands.
I actually think the fix isn’t that hard. Des out the door, done the right way. With respect and quietly.

Dce loses his captaincy immediately- will probably appease those not in ‘camp Dce’.

Bring playing group in and simply speak to them like the grown men that they are , ask if they want a release? If they do, fine the club will try to accommodate it so long as we get something in return…

23 is a complete right off in my own view ( means nothing). We should use it to do a rebuild. Based on character, based on players we think will buy into the Manly DNA. Short term pain for long term gain. Not doing anything simply delays the inevitable.

I actually think the fix isn’t that hard. Des out the door, done the right way. With respect and quietly.

Dce loses his captaincy immediately- will probably appease those not in ‘camp Dce’.

Bring playing group in and simply speak to them like the grown men that they are , ask if they want a release? If they do, fine the club will try to accommodate it so long as we get something in return…

23 is a complete right off in my own view ( means nothing). We should use it to do a rebuild. Based on character, based on players we think will buy into the Manly DNA. Short term pain for long term gain. Not doing anything simply delays the inevitable.
Not hard from our side , but as I say above boy has Tony Mestrov got his work cut out !!

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10