Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters
If the focus from our owners and ceo is a game in America it’s gonna royally **** the first couple rounds next year. Regular season is built in routine and recovery. Not press junkets and jet lag.

Penny is a muppet.

Fitness/team harmony/resources/expenditure/
Staffing should be the only focuses between now and round 1

With extra lube
Comedy Central Lol GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

If the focus from our owners and ceo is a game in America it’s gonna royally **** the first couple rounds next year. Regular season is built in routine and recovery. Not press junkets and jet lag.

Penny is a muppet.

Fitness/team harmony/resources/expenditure/
Staffing should be the only focuses between now and round 1
7 losses in a row next week and could well be 2-3 more next year.

It’s the same after we did the WCC games , it takes a lot out of the players body clocks etc

Ouch

Though our form is heartbreaking for us fans and absolutely dreadful to watch it could be as simple as, without our best players, including our heart and soul in Jake, we're ****e and have nothing to play for. We can't finish higher or lower than 11. Rubbish but not the end of the world. It appears some young guns are being trialled - but not passing so far. Weekes could be good.
I thought Koula and Parker had really solid games in our latest demolition. At times the defence was actually quite solid but that left the team busted with absolutely nothing in attack.
As for league itself, even though I'll always be Manly, I'm getting more and more disinterested.
On my extreme annoyance list are:
Captian's challenges.
The bunker.
Constant rule changes.
Penalty blitz trends.
6 agains.
Extremely over the top player celebrations after tries or forcing an error.
Allowing Dane Gagai to punch the **** out of someone during origin but binning players for honest mistakes or momentum accidents in the normal rounds.
Neck clutching just to get a penalty.
Dummy halves throwing their arms up to ref after every single tackle.

I miss what we used to watch.

And Go Manly for 1 more round this year, and forever.
Hopefully 2023 is better.
Yeah, I watched the replay today (coz I'm a glutton for punishment) and thought Koula and Parker gave it all again. Sure Koula made a couple of errors and Parks even got stepped once but out of our options, I'd still have them as our centres. And I'm with you on some of those annoyances.

And it might be just me but I really hate trys scored from high kicks. I don't think it could ever be judged but I'd like trys from kicks to be worth less than a running attacking raid. I want to see running footy and not the predictable last tackle option of kicking to the jumping wingers that, on most occasions, just becomes a ping pong lottery. But anyway ....

It's the Dogs mate. Hope isn't required. All we need to do is try a little, and we'll get the cookies.

Des knows the headlines if we lose this one all off season (biggest ever losing streak) and he won't let that happen.

They'll care for that exact reason.
Hope you’re right mate. I hate loosing to flea bitten mongrels

All true except the seven are also a problem. No team can function knowing that seven team mates are willing to leave them in the lurch at a moment's notice. The jersey this time, what if a player's partner has an abortion. Couldn't possibly play alongside such a heathen. What if another has sex outside of marriage? I know it's hard to imagine, but concentrate. The reasons for withdrawal (I get the irony here) can be myriad with such a thick bloody book to work from.
A team is about trust if it's going to function well.
As I said, agree with much of what you say but, as you say, dislike away!
What if one actually came out as gay???

Would the 7 stop playing for the club??

DCE will never be an inspirational leader. He is way too self focused to be that type of leader. I actually think he has more negative leadership qualities than positive ones. He may well be a functional team captain i.e he says all the right things on and off the field, but inspirational he is not. I don't think he has lost the dressing room, but then again I also don't think he ever really had it to lose.

Hasler on the other hand still has the respect of most of the squad. I think where he struggles is getting buy in from a lot of the younger players into his ideas. He has never been a great communicator, and in the past he has been able to balance that out with his abilities to strategize and innovate. Has he lost the dressing room? I don't think so, however he is not far off losing the support of the board.

Right now it seems almost pointless to replace him, as this could only serve to split the club even more. Unfortunately, there is probably more downside than upside in advocating for his immediate removal.

Mark, my idle thoughts,

I have a bright, intelligent hard working son in his late 20's on his way to a successful life ... I have known him all his life, cared for him, loved him, nurtured him, tutored and mentored him ... BUT at least 5 times a week on issues big and small, he tells me my attitudes and principles by which I ran my companies and staff ... no longer apply .. it's a new age.

So, if 2 people so close can be so different in today's world ....

How can a 60's year old coach living in millionaires row in Collaroy relate to the attitudes and demands of young men from such a different background .. ?

It was possible when there was only one or two in a team, they tended to buy in to the prevailing club culture, but with close on 50% ... they bring a whole new experience .. which needs to be understood, accepted and incorporated ...

So, not saying he has lost the dressing room ... but both he an DCE would certainly have a job relating in the brave new world of football ...

To me the fallout from rainbowgate won't be a falling out in the playing group ... but an emotional disconnect between the polynesian players and the club .. and the fans ... regardless of what we might think, all the players would be fully aware of what the feral fans are saying here on Silvertails and other social media ... and IMO having their culture, beliefs and integrity abused and denegrated has caused hurt and a disconnect ...
@Woodsie well put and some nice self reflection.

There are many tools out there along with coaches on leading and developing, some you pay top brass for, one I recommend has some stuff on YouTube in Simon Sinek, some very good advice he has on what you have touched on above.

I just have to laugh... sorry but when we get rid of Hasler and DCE..... just which fabulous successful coach comes to Manly and which half comes to take us to a premiership??? Look they both have their faults - to me DCE way way more faults given his brain farts and his inability to lead the team around the park. But DCE still is a very very decent half and way better than probably 10 other halves in the comp. Is he worth the money he is on - nope not a hope... stupid mistake in resigning him - I would have let him go to the Dolphins... saved the money and then tried to find another half... which again will be damn hard. Yet again we are letting the wrong half go... Foran and Schuster - some hope of working... DCE and Scuster - double potential brain fart in the same play.... disaster waiting to happen especially replacing an all effort all team guy with a lazy ego driven guy. Our problem is the talent identification/recruitment. Now some of that is absolutely Hasler's fault. Some of it is the result of the League continually changing the rules.... the 6 again rule suited us fabulously... the stop start doesn't now. The get in the fight and grind game we had 4 years ago suited us perfectly... then we dropped off with rule changes... then we adapted with the 6 again then we dropped off with rule changes AND the injuries we have had this year. So our recruitment to a degree has been sabotaged by the ever changing rules... stuffed by the Manase fiasco....and stuffed to a degree by poor identification... Keppie/Sipley come to mind. But yes.... if you want to get rid of Hasler and DCE... make sure you have gold quality replacements that CAN actually be signed and lured to the club!

DCE will never be an inspirational leader. He is way too self focused to be that type of leader. I actually think he has more negative leadership qualities than positive ones. He may well be a functional team captain i.e he says all the right things on and off the field, but inspirational he is not. I don't think he has lost the dressing room, but then again I also don't think he ever really had it to lose.

Hasler on the other hand still has the respect of most of the squad. I think where he struggles is getting buy in from a lot of the younger players into his ideas. He has never been a great communicator, and in the past he has been able to balance that out with his abilities to strategize and innovate. Has he lost the dressing room? I don't think so, however he is not far off losing the support of the board.

Right now it seems almost pointless to replace him, as this could only serve to split the club even more. Unfortunately, there is probably more downside than upside in advocating for his immediate removal.
Well summarised.
If we really are getting new assistants , this could be a great thing for Des.
Des now needs to give Jake the stripes - he is our real captain

And here on 1047FM Sea Eagle Rock, a big cheerio to ‘The Yank’, you know him better as Scotty Penn, our illustrious chairman.

Here is Ace Frehley with his 1979 hit, ‘New York Groove’:

I still think Hasler can sharpen his methods but he needs to revert back to the more hardline fresh approach he had when he first came onto the scene, he is coaching in a far too predictable comfortable manner that hasn't changed or tweaked enough.

The Sharks resemble the return of Manly becoming a force again under Hasler but in only one year lol, there is a new found enthusiasm on the beaches but this time not on the Northern Beaches.

At least the Sharks have some kind of all round improvement with developments to build excitement beyond just spending money on the playing group.

The problem with Manly as a club trying to move forward is we focus too much on the playing group and not an all round sustainable approach in every area of the club to be more attractive.
Ha. I was thinking the exact same thing re Cronulla. Watching the Sharks on sat night I actually thought to myself when they ran out and celebrated the leaving players “how have Cronulla become manly in such a short period of time?” It’s like we directly swapped sides in one season.

By the way a reminder that my question was “ have they lost the dressing room”

Not a SACK one or both thread.

Although , moving one , or both on , may in fact be part of the healing process.

I think at some stage we may just have to suck it up and run with a younger team and try and build from there.

Not going to be easy though.

100% yes. Des is great with the older generation of players but doesn't know how to win them over. DCE well I don't think a lot of players love him

100% yes. Des is great with the older generation of players but doesn't know how to win them over. DCE well I don't think a lot of players love him
And moving forward this is going to be very difficult , I wouldn’t want to be in Tony Mestrov’s shoes.

Sadly I think you are right on both counts.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4