Manly push for WCC to be played in Middle East

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It's a good idea. Earnie, you show your ignorance on this one. The temperature over there during late Jan early Feb is 24 degrees Celcius. Dubai is a very safe place, lots of protection from your 'Talibin' (sic). Money is the issue with Manly, so any idea to swell the coffers is a good one. It's a pity Gallop hadn't thought of this sort of world promotion years ago. I'd like to think it could be played in South Africa as well.

DSM5 said:
It's a good idea. Earnie, you show your ignorance on this one. The temperature over there during late Jan early Feb is 24 degrees Celcius. Dubai is a very safe place, lots of protection from your 'Talibin' (sic). Money is the issue with Manly, so any idea to swell the coffers is a good one. It's a pity Gallop hadn't thought of this sort of world promotion years ago. I'd like to think it could be played in South Africa as well.
I say play it in Patong or Bangkok. It would be a happy ending to a great season :)

Could be a great idea, especially for the young halves we have on our books. They could come home being the comp leaders with new bombing techniques

It seems not everyone caught the sarcasm in my post. I am not delusional or ignorant, I have spent time there whilst serving in Iraq and I have seen a side to the Dubai and the UAR that I am sure most of you have not.
I dont make offensive or personal comments to anyone here, unless they have done it to me,I would never call someone ignorant or suggest they are delusional, but that comes with age and maturity, which it seems some here, have yet to achieve.

eagleE said:
If Manly make an extra $100k minimum out of it, what is the difference between Dubai and Leeds...

Nothing, apart from the fact that there are probably less Middle Eastern people in Dubai than Leeds... :D

some of you lot are talking as if Dubai is a 3rd world middle eastern country with war going on. far far very far from it. Guys with ignorant comments to a google images search of Dubai. One of the richest nations on earth, only place on the planet with 7 star hotel. From what i've heard its pretty westernised for being a strict islamic state and it is very safe.

While Penn is thinking of this maybe he should have a chat with emirates, i could get used to seeing their logo on a sea eagles jersey ;)

So there is the potential to move a pretty much meaningless game to earn more money...and reduce the pressure to move games from Brookie....seems like a no brainer to me

A lot less cost in dollars and time to those who would attend from here. It's a no-brainer. Just do it.

dayne said:
some of you lot are talking as if Dubai is a 3rd world middle eastern country with war going on. far far very far from it. Guys with ignorant comments to a google images search of Dubai. One of the richest nations on earth, only place on the planet with 7 star hotel. From what i've heard its pretty westernised for being a strict islamic state and it is very safe.

While Penn is thinking of this maybe he should have a chat with emirates, i could get used to seeing their logo on a sea eagles jersey ;)

Not completely so. They may have been rich but the oil is almost gone and they are putting all their eggs in the tourist basket. In 2009 they had to be bailed out by massive loans from U.A.E. They lived in a fantasy world where man-made island homes could be built in the sea and the price would go up forever. That's gone along with half of their delusional wealth creation ideas. I mean why do you need a domed ski field in the middle of a desert? It is just idiotic hedonism.

Their entire infrastructure has been built on the back of slave labour from places like Bangladesh, India and the Philippines. Personally I find the country an affront to human dignity and like Burma should probably be boycotted on principle. It isn't the worst country in the world but its success and resident lifestyle reminds me of Sparta.

ManlyBacker said:
dayne said:

Not completely so. They may have been rich but the oil is almost gone and they are putting all their eggs in the tourist basket. In 2009 they had to be bailed out by massive loans from U.A.E. They lived in a fantasy world where man-made island homes could be built in the sea and the price would go up forever. That's gone along with half of their delusional wealth creation ideas. I mean why do you need a domed ski field in the middle of a desert? It is just idiotic hedonism.

Their entire infrastructure has been built on the back of slave labour from places like Bangladesh, India and the Philippines. Personally I find the country an affront to human dignity and like Burma should probably be boycotted on principle. It isn't the worst country in the world but its success and resident lifestyle reminds me of Sparta.

I have been there many times, and what MB says is pretty much fact.

BUT in saying all that 99.9% safe to go there, and February is about the best time...weather great. I have been there in March so very similar time. I have also been there in July and Octiber...in July it was 52 degree's....and when I did a desert safari the temp showed 55 degree's on the Landcruiser's system.

I can somewhat see how Penn would think Dubai would be a good option....better weather, "almost" in the Euro time zone for the UK / Europe pay TV deal and a bit closer to home (flying and jet lag wise) for the players.

It's not as silly as it sounds but again I doubt it (based on the RFL paying for everything and probably canning the idea due to cost).

Most countries are an affront to human dignity ManlyBacker. Tell me about a country that hasn't been built on the misery of the working classes and dispossessed. Dubai seems about as good a place to play this meaningless game as any.

ayjay007 said:
I thought Dubai was a city,and an Emirate-part of the UAE.

Correct, just part of the UAE (stands for United Arab Emirates).

Dubai, Sharjah (The next one across) and Abu Dhabi (the next one after Sharjah) are all part of the UAE...there's 7 in total (don't know the names of the others).

Dubai is by a country mile the most liberal of them all, Sharjah is dry but Abu Dhabi and Dubai are very liberal.

About the only "Arab" thing is you need to be mindful of what you wear, particularly if you are female....although beaches are excluded!!

Mark from Brisbane said:
ayjay007 said:
I thought Dubai was a city,and an Emirate-part of the UAE.

Correct, just part of the UAE (stands for United Arab Emirates).

Dubai, Sharjah (The next one across) and Abu Dhabi (the next one after Sharjah) are all part of the UAE...there's 7 in total (don't know the names of the others).

Dubai is by a country mile the most liberal of them all, Sharjah is dry but Abu Dhabi and Dubai are very liberal.

About the only "Arab" thing is you need to be mindful of what you wear, particularly if you are female....although beaches are excluded!!

Dont forget to include on the itinerary the work camps an hour out of Dubai, its the side of the place that not everyone sees but should.

Well Mark I suppose if we sent the NRL teams there for Mad Monday it would be a test for the Sheik to see if he really wants the Westerners there.......

I don't disagree with your sentiments re the place being built on cheap Indian and Pakistani labour....that's fact. On the flip side of that those very people are earning far in excess of what they can earn at home and that's why they do it.

I first visited Dubai in the early 90's, and have since been back there 3 times (The last time in 2009).

It's remarkable what they have done in 20 years, and I have seen photo's from the late 70's (when this all started) and there was literally nothing there.

Is it sustainable.....who knows, but it certainly is a place to visit (at least once) regardless of anyone's views on how it was built.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2