Manly Sea Eagles: Does the club need to relocate?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

• Their results on the field don't hold a candle to the issues of it. Salary cap dramas, Gladstone curfew breaches, bickering among the playing group and coaching staff, the list goes on.

Peter Peters, a former Sea Eagles player and current media consultant for the club, was distressed when discussing the future of his beloved club.

"They're in a deep hole whichever way you look at it," Peters told Sporting News.

"The club has been in holes before and have come out of it, but, I've got to say, that's the third home game virtually in succession and the fans just ignored it. 6000 is a terrible crowd, particularly when you get charged $45,000 from the council to rent the horrible old place.

"It's a major concern at the moment. How long do the owners keep putting money into the club when there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel?
    http://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...gosford-penn-family/lfupiqdi259w1lx4srnexbwhp
Notice he refers to the club he apparently loves as they instead of we. For me it's a Big indicator as to where his head his at regards to the club / issue at the moment

Peters is the lowest common denominator!! He is part of the leadership team that has seen the near destruction of our club!! To have a go yet again at the fans and members and question why they are staying away ignores the FACT that the club is in a perilous position due to the family he is part of that puts itself first before the club time and time again!!

This cant go on, the NRL will not lift a finger to help, we have an NRL CEO who will happily see our demise.

The owners MUST bring the club together, or we are done!!

Peters is the lowest common denominator!! He is part of the leadership team that has seen the near destruction of our club!! To have a go yet again at the fans and members and question why they are staying away ignores the FACT that the club is in a perilous position due to the family he is part of that puts itself first before the club time and time again!!

This cant go on, the NRL will not lift a finger to help, we have an NRL CEO who will happily see our demise.

The owners MUST bring the club together, or we are done!!

Love your work mate, always , we are birds of a feather!!

Look I will say this
I live only 10 minutes away from brookvale oval and would love to see us play all games at home and restore the ground to what is once was..a ground all teams hated to come and play.
Unless we get a injection of funds from somewhere we won’t be playing 10 Home at the ground in the future..mind you I still think even though it has poor facilities brookvale oval is still the best place to watch league in its current state.

So my solution I could live with ...5 games at brookvale 5 games SFS when completed, 1 game vs panthers on Easter Saturday at ANZ stadium with intergrated ticketing to the royal Easter show and one game up at Gosford.

Not giving up a home game to the broncos or the warriors over in NZ which just does not make sense to me.

• Their results on the field don't hold a candle to the issues of it. Salary cap dramas, Gladstone curfew breaches, bickering among the playing group and coaching staff, the list goes on.

Peter Peters, a former Sea Eagles player and current media consultant for the club, was distressed when discussing the future of his beloved club.

"They're in a deep hole whichever way you look at it," Peters told Sporting News.

"The club has been in holes before and have come out of it, but, I've got to say, that's the third home game virtually in succession and the fans just ignored it. 6000 is a terrible crowd, particularly when you get charged $45,000 from the council to rent the horrible old place.

"It's a major concern at the moment. How long do the owners keep putting money into the club when there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel?
    http://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...gosford-penn-family/lfupiqdi259w1lx4srnexbwhp
Zorba is spot on. Brookvale Oval is the number 1 issue. The team will rebuild, but if they've got no where to play that attracts fans to comfortably enjoy watching their team its game over. Lucky the weather was good the last two weeks, no one's going to sit on the grass in the rain anymore.

Good thinking. We would however need to play less at Brookvale. I could only see 2 a year there maximum. We could then drop going to Brisbane, Perth, etc. Regardless, I think you're on the exact right track.
That could work say
7 SFS
3 brookvale
1ANZ Easter Saturday vs panthers
1Gosford

Even though I would hate to only have 3 games at brookvale I could live with the above

The Penns continued agenda - rebuild Brookie oval

The problem is that even with a new ground fans still won't turn up if the team continues playing like it has for the past 3 years

Also a lot of fans and sponsors are still angry at the way the Penns got rid of Toovey and the eagle angels

It is the absolute right agenda. Brookie oval needs to be redeveloped plain and simple.

It seems that local, state, and federal govt give lip service but don't give a crap. Every other home ground of every other club in the NRL has been redeveloped with govt money - except Brookie oval.

Manly aka the Penn's pay more than every other NRL club for the privilege of using their home ground.

The Penn's had a similar plan to the Sharks to redevelop including commercial and residential so it could be mostly funded privately. What has every level of government done with this plan?

The crowd of 6000 people has everything to do with us, the Manly supporters. We are the ones not turning up to support our team.

What else would we like the Penn's to do without any help?

As an interstate supporter I 100% support a relocation... Regardless of where it would be.

Crowds at Brookie have been the worst of the Sydney clubs for years now and it's obvious that the local community isn't routinely getting out to support the club. Memberships are the worst of Sydney clubs also.

Every supporter is entitled to vote with their feet but at the same time, the club needs to survive and be successful both on and off the field.

Whether it's Perth, Brisbane or Central Coast, I will support the Eagles regardless. The occasional Brookie match might even bring the crowds back... I think some supporters take the club for granted. I mean, you only have to look at Newcastle and the support they received during their rough patches... Manly cannot compete with a supporter base like that.

If it has to happen I am 100% behind it.

I am also now an interstate supporter and if it’s no longer the Manly Sea Eagles then that will be the end of the NRL for me. If the club relocated they will lose their soul and may as well just call themselves whatever. The culture and attractions of the area is what draws good players to the team and the local community is what should make the players put pride in the jersey.

Brookvale oval is pretty much the last place you can go and watch rugby league in its purest and IMHO best form - from the hill. Without the fake speaker generated crowd noise and cold concrete. The crowds will come back when they have their team back - I have no doubt the supporters would still be there if Toovey was the coach and the players were having a real crack regardless of our position on the table. You can’t turn your back on Manly legends and the fans and then expect them to still support the team when your mercenary plan goes pear shaped.

I am a member of the Football club and I said publicly 2 years ago that we had 2020 to finally sort out our home ground. The bleeding obvious is that for all the plans all the talk, there is no serious and viable commitment to rebuild Brooky and it has come to nought!!

My fear is the NRL are going to force us out of Brookvale and play games at the SFS or Gosford.

I do hope if that is the case that we stop giving Brisbane a free home game every year!! Play some games at Brookvale or we will lose our base on the northern beaches.

End of the day the football club will have a big say is what actually happens as the Football club protects the club in relation to our brand, colours and our home ground.

Interesting times ahead but the misinformation being peddled by Peters and Co about who saved the club confirm that they are so mightly out of touch with the rank and file Manly supporters and members.

Zorba has committed sacrilege by referring to our club as " that goddamn club "

It just doesn't sit well with me. I know we have some problems but he offers no solutions and in fact is the cause of many media leaks that backfire. For someone who is supposed to be advocating for the club in a positive manner, he sounds like a self serving, pessimistic, melodramatic, Greek politician. A career in Athens is beckoning..

Well I disagree with most posters. I think Brookie is one of our least problems. Having a better ground is not that important compared to:
* Having greater financial input in order to compete with TPA rich clubs
* Having a larger source of talented players
* Having better training facilities
* Having better coaching resources, including a mental strength expert
* Having more professional ownership
* Attracting more supporters and members
* Forcing the NRL to take us as seriously as they do Brisbane and Melbourne ie. greater clout
That's why I have suggested Manly taking 'ownership' of the south island of NZ. I'm not sure if it would work but it would strengthen all of the points I've made above. Logistics would be difficult, agreed, but even if the team (The South Island Sea Eagles???) played every home game in Christchurch we'd still get to see our 'team' when they played in Sydney at the venues mentioned as being permanent homes for us when we move from Brookie. There is a lot to think about but this should be one option considered imo.

That's a disgraceful interview from peters. How can he so ignorant of the issues? How can he dissassociate himself from the club like that when some of the issues land squarely at his and his family's feet. He is just increasing the divide that exists between the owners and fans. this doesnt ingratiate the owners and their position to anyone.

Like any lap dog, Ritchie doesn't ask him any hard questions either.

The onus of ownership is to maintain and invest in your asset, not blame stakeholders you have continually cast aside for not sustaining YOUR investment.

THEY are the ones who havnt secured a Brookie upgrade
THEY are the ones who run a football department with the smallest budget in the league.
THEY are the ones who oversaw the mismanagement and potential Breaches of the salary cap.
THEY are the ones who negotiated the ground hire with the council
WE are the ones who have no control over any of this, yet get insulted for not contributing to the byproduct of the situation THEY have put us in.

He should get hauled over the coals for that interview, but I fear it was an approved agenda to be peddled by a big fat proxy.

The media are contributing to our demise. They are doing everything to stick the knife in at any opportunity. No surprise that the crowds are poor with the amount of crap written. Some of it is justified but most of it is click bait and stirring up negativity. That combined with the horrid state of referring this year, it's the perfect storm. I think you will find crowds are down across the board, just made worse at Manly with our current position

Yes. Move them to Logan in Qld.

South East Queensland Sea Eagles.
Are you serious? Logan? I'm sure there's plenty of local families, couples, individuals that are lovely people who live there but Logan is well known as the boganist area in SEQ. There's not a beach for many kilometres. It's inland with high crime and low socio economic cookie-cutter housing. From the beautiful northern beaches to Logan would be like moving from Kirribilli House to a flat on top of a fish and chip shop.
The mental health support people EQ get most of their business from Logan teachers.
Just not a good idea.
They're already dyed in the wool donkeys supporters anyway.
*Apologies to any that live there. I really don't mean to offend. Just comparing the area to one of the most beautiful places in the country - the northern beaches.

Last edited:

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8