Post-Game Discussion Manly v Broncos [Round 10, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Broncos
6 Suncorp Stadium
05 May 2023 20:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Isn't that Tualagi?

NRL Fox photo article
says its Haumole

This Haumole Olakau'atu image says it all. Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

This Haumole Olakau'atu image says it all. Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

Definitely Kelma. Guacs fade is slightly cleaner and he has tats on his thighs.
Which ever player in that Legendary Maroon and white Jersey that was
expressed the same devastating feelings of all of us Passionate Manly fans after that shattering loss

Looking back at this game I’m surprised it wasn’t 50 nil
Only because Chez stepped up in the tackle count that it wasn’t even more humiliating
I actually thought the opposite. If we had some discipline with the ball instead of throwing chances away it could easily been 18-20 with 10 min to go. We bombed at least 3 simple trys in that 2nd half, we dominated possession and field position but poor discipline blew away the chances they created. If they can eliminate these rediculous handling errors and get Jake and a fit and focused Schu back our there then all is not lost but we can't afford to throw away games starting next week.

I actually thought the opposite. If we had some discipline with the ball instead of throwing chances away it could easily been 18-20 with 10 min to go. We bombed at least 3 simple trys in that 2nd half, we dominated possession and field position but poor discipline blew away the chances they created. If they can eliminate these rediculous handling errors and get Jake and a fit and focused Schu back our there then all is not lost but we can't afford to throw away games starting next week.
Broncos were not ruthless in the slightest. They aren't direct enough in attack yet.

Soebolds comments are a worry, after a shot performance he is talking them up saying it was a good second half again.as a leader you better dish out discipline or they will give you the same rubbish every week

• 👍
Reactions: DGD
100%. There are some rules that they just ignore. If i was a NRL coach, i would study the tapes to work out what triggers a referee and what doesn't. Then i would have my team relentlessly trained in maximising that advantage.

There must be something subtly different about the way Manly is walking off the mark to what the Broncos are doing. If not, the NRL needs to be asked to explain it.
Walking off the mark has been a blight on the game for a number of years and yet is rarely discussed and plainly not even seen by the NRL as a problem. It is designed to unfairly disadvantage the defending side. Many sides deliberately and systematically use it to gain an unfair advantage.

The Broncos did not put the cue in the rack,we actually finished some sets and stopped making stupid mistakes or penalties.
If Johns had a clue how to use players outside of him or had some vision we would have scored a number of tries (Broncos were not that resilient lol).
Parker made some poor decisions coming in to protect Johns when he should have just stayed out and he does not have the speed to re adjust when the ball goes past him.
If Schuster is not back then stick Turbo into 6 and play Weekes at fullback until he is(Dev players like Humphreys are still a week away).
I would stick Boyle,Fainu and Condon into the middle,I know a lot have criticised their efforts in Reggie's but I have seen them offer more in firsts than the rubbish that Keppie,Aloiai and Woods dish up.(I say this as I don't believe anyone else is back next week?)
God knows what Bullemor has to do to get the 13 jersey.

It's so painful that every club in this magic round so far has put up a fight. Could Manly be the only team to get flogged in magic round this year?

I said it in the lock for the rest of the year thread, I'll repeat it here.

For mine, our top 17 would look like this:

FB - Tom Trbojevic (Tolu Koula)
WG - Jason Saab
CE - Brad Parker
CE - Tolu Koula (Tom Trbojevic)
WG - Reuben Garrick
FE - Lachlan Croker
HB - Daly Cherry-Evans (c)
PR - Taniela Paseka
HK - Gordon Chan Kum Tong
PR - Jake Trbojevic
SR - Haumole Olakau'atu
SR - Ben Trbojevic
LK - Josh Schuster

Bench - Karl Lawton, Sean Keppie, Ethan Bullemor, Josh Aloiai

A few points:
  • Given his overall fitness and form right now, I'd seriously consider swapping Turbo and Koula and playing Tom in the centres. Sadly right now he's a liability at the back. Damn, I never thought I would say that.....
  • I don't think Tuilagi's defence is NRL standard. Honestly, I'd play Burbo there.
  • Bring Gordon up to play dummy half with Lawton on the bench as cover. Move Froggy back to 5/8 eliminating the need for Cooper Johns who is a NSW Cup half at best.
  • Play Shoe as a ball playing lock. I know he wants to play 5/8, but this is a team sport. For the team to thrive the individual ego needs to be put into the background.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6