Manly v Des.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

RL news: Des Hasler, Manly Sea Eagles set for mediation in last-ditch bid to avoid court battle | Sport Confidential​

The Titans could be unwillingly drawn into the ugly legal stoush between Des Hasler and Manly, as court appearances threaten to disrupt their pre-season. See the full SPORT CONFIDENTIAL.
Michael Carayannis and Brent Read

8 min read
October 26, 2023 - 6:19PM

Des Hasler will kick off mediation with his former club Manly in early-December as he looks to avoid an ugly court battle that could overshadow the opening months at his new club – the Titans.
This masthead understands Hasler and the Sea Eagles will begin talks on December 8 in a last-ditch bid to avoid a prolonged legal stoush that could take months to resolve and which would air plenty of dirty laundry.
Manly are said to be licking their lips at the prospect of court action – it is understood they have stacked their defence and are keen for the facts surrounding the “pride jersey fiasco” to be put on the record.
Des Hasler will begin mediation with the Sea Eagles in a last-ditch bid to avoid an ugly court battle. Picture: NRL Imagery

Des Hasler will begin mediation with the Sea Eagles in a last-ditch bid to avoid an ugly court battle. Picture: NRL Imagery
The club is also privately confident they have the ammunition to prove Manly would have struggled to make the top eight in 2022 - finals football would have triggered an automatic extension in Hasler’s contract for the 2024 season but the club drifted out of contention at the back end of the year.
Regardless, the club privately insists they relied on a clause in Hasler’s contract that gave them the right to terminate his deal at the cost of a six-month payout.
Hasler and the Sea Eagles parted ways in bitter and acrimonious circumstances at the end of the 2022 season and his former club is standing their ground amid a legal challenge, raising the very real prospect that Hasler will be drawn into a courtroom fight during the opening stages of his first season at the Titans.
There is every chance that Hasler will be forced to fly to Sydney and schedule training around court appearances unless the parties can find some common ground.
That appears highly unlikely as Hasler launches the second legal challenge of his coaching career - he threatened to take the Bulldogs to court after he was sacked by that club, only for the parties to settle before their fight reached the courtroom.
The new Titans coach could be forced to fly to Sydney and schedule training around his court appearances. Picture: Supplied

The new Titans coach could be forced to fly to Sydney and schedule training around his court appearances. Picture: Supplied
The Sea Eagles also plan to subpoena phone records, emails and text messages.
This masthead understands that the seven players who sat out the club’s loss to the Sydney Roosters in 2022 over the pride jersey are keen to provide their side of the story, which they may be asked to do if the matter head to court.
The Sea Eagles are confident any evidence provided by the players will work in their favour. The club also stands by their belief that Hasler repudiated his contract through his lawyer in October 2022, which gave them the fight to terminate his contract with immediate effect.

Not an ideal way to start off at a new club by flying back and forth from GC to Syd in the middle of your teams pre-season. If Des was thinking of another sizable pay cheque coming his way, well, maybe he should think about this one. Like a high stakes poker game I think Manly may have the winning hand in this game.

Looks like DESpicable won't have the bottle to take this matter to court. Pity. We'd all like to hear the 'facts'.
As it stands my opinion of DESpicable is lower now than when he left the club for the filthy Bulldogs lucre. If he has truly been wronged over 'Pridegate' then take it to court, not wimp out with a mediated financial settlement.

Looks like DESpicable won't have the bottle to take this matter to court. Pity. We'd all like to hear the 'facts'.
As it stands my opinion of DESpicable is lower now than when he left the club for the filthy Bulldogs lucre. If he has truly been wronged over 'Pridegate' then take it to court, not wimp out with a mediated financial settlement.
The article reads like a press release from the club. I wouldn’t base my opinion of Des on it.

The article reads like a press release from the club. I wouldn’t base my opinion of Des on it.
My opinion of Des Hasler is based on how he threw the club under the bus on October 7th 2011. The club has never been the same since. He should never have been allowed to return to MWSE. The fact that Greenberg (and Hasler) had been working on this exit since early August 2011 says much about Greenberg and even more about Hasler.

My opinion of Des Hasler is based on how he threw the club under the bus on October 7th 2011. The club has never been the same since. He should never have been allowed to return to MWSE. The fact that Greenberg (and Hasler) had been working on this exit since early August 2011 says much about Greenberg and even more about Hasler.

With respect to Des. He had been asking for a new contract since the year before and again during 2011.

Mgt just assumed Des would be at their beckon n call. By the time they offered Des a contract , only after we were in the top 4, he had probably already signed with the dogs.

He waited till after the grand final when it was clear he couldn't and wouldn't be signing a new contract with Manly.

What did you expect him to do? Tell the club and players in Aug?

This screw up lied firmly with the board and the joint ownership where the Quantum side wanted Des gone.

Remember, it was Quantum & the gutless leagues club that forced legend Glen Stewart out of the club - not the so called evil Penn family. Tooves
naively backed Quantum. Penn didn't forget that.

We certainly have short memories.

Last edited:
With respect to Des. He had been asking for a new contract since the year before and again during 2011.

Mgt just assumed Des would be at their beckon n call. By the time they offered Des a contract , only after we were in the top 4, he had probably already signed with the dogs.

He waited till after the grand final when it was clear he couldn't and wouldn't be signing a new contract with Manly.

This screw up lied firmly with the board and the joint ownership where the Quantum side wanted Des gone.

Yes we do @XV-1

Glad you agree 👍
Hasler and MSWE had already agreed to contract terms for 2012 by August 2011. In fact, Hasler had exercised his option for 2012, whilst the terms of a long-term contract from 2013 were being negotiated between his Manager and MWSE. Greenberg induced and coerced Hasler to breach his contract with MWSE, by including the following in his second offer:
“1. Letter of Offer is valid and binding assuming exist (sic) from Manly at end of 2011 season is achieved.
“2. Bulldogs may elect to indemnify you should the option matter reach litigious position, at their discretion.
“3. Should the Bulldogs decide not to indemnify if they feel risk factors are too great, then the Letter of Offer will automatically revert to a start date of season 2013 to 2016 inclusive.
“Todd would like to have the letter of offer with the above variation signed on Saturday (27 August) this weekend.”
Hasler wasn't waiting for a new contract with MWSE. He already had one at that time.

Hasler and MSWE had already agreed to contract terms for 2012 by August 2011. In fact, Hasler had exercised his option for 2012, whilst the terms of a long-term contract from 2013 were being negotiated between his Manager and MWSE. Greenberg induced and coerced Hasler to breach his contract with MWSE, by including the following in his second offer:
“1. Letter of Offer is valid and binding assuming exist (sic) from Manly at end of 2011 season is achieved.
“2. Bulldogs may elect to indemnify you should the option matter reach litigious position, at their discretion.
“3. Should the Bulldogs decide not to indemnify if they feel risk factors are too great, then the Letter of Offer will automatically revert to a start date of season 2013 to 2016 inclusive.
“Todd would like to have the letter of offer with the above variation signed on Saturday (27 August) this weekend.”
Hasler wasn't waiting for a new contract with MWSE. He already had one at that time.

You know damn well that Hasler was being underpaid and he was looking for an upgrade for 2012 and an extension for 2013 at least.
Manly never offered that.
Hasler was forced to take up the option for 2012 as Manly offered him nothing else at that time.

Greenberg then offered him huge $$ for 2013 onwards.

As I said, this crap all lied with Manly mgt, not Des.

You know damn well that Hasler was being underpaid and he was looking for an upgrade for 2012 and an extension for 2013 at least.
Manly never offered that.
Hasler was forced to take up the option for 2012 as Manly offered him nothing else at that time.

Greenberg then offered him huge $$ for 2013 onwards.

As I said, this crap all lied with Manly mgt, not Des.
You have nailed it. The only think Des did wrong in my eyes was throw the toys out of the cot in 2011 and try to burn the place down on the way out taking as many support staff as he could. But having seen how coaching staff have been treated since I don't blame anyone who left with des in 2011.

The issue with our club lies with the pelican who owns the joint and is now getting his mitts on the profits. We won't ever win a comp again while he owns the joint.

You have nailed it. The only think Des did wrong in my eyes was throw the toys out of the cot in 2011 and try to burn the place down on the way out taking as many support staff as he could. But having seen how coaching staff have been treated since I don't blame anyone who left with des in 2011.

The issue with our club lies with the pelican who owns the joint and is now getting his mitts on the profits. We won't ever win a comp again while he owns the joint.

Yes, Scott Penn is a pelican. I would probably use a lot stronger words than that to describe him though @Cameron Personally, I think he is just a wealthy parasite, who has sucked the life and the spirit out of the Manly Warringah Football Club.

However, that doesn't change my disgust for Des Hasler's actions in 2011. I have held that view since that time, and it won't be changing anytime soon.

Last edited:
Yes, Scott Penn is a pelican. I would probably use a lot stronger words than that to describe him though @Cameron Personally, I think he is a parasite, who has sucked the life and the spirit out of the Manly Warringah Football Club.

However, that doesn't change my disgust for Des Hasler's actions in 2011. I have held that view since that time, and it won't be changing anytime soon.
The Passionate fan Perspective ....
The resentment for players and officials on ALL SPORTS FORUMS are from passionate and despondent supporters from underachieving clubs
These loyal and passionate supporters will always support their clubs But they will never support players or officials that fail to live up to their Clubs Great Winning Standards

The hard core reality in a results driven sports business is
No one likes Losing
No one Celebrates Losing
and No one Likes Losers
Especially at a Legendary club like the Manly Sea eagles
Proud Manly People are not good losers

A quote by one of the the greatest sports winners in History
Vince Lombardi ...
SHOW ME A GOOD LOSER
AND I WILL SHOW YOU A LOSER

The Legendary Manly club is not just meant to purely Exist
The Legendary Manly club is meant to Excel and Win Premierships
This is What defines our Great club and is this What Respect is at Manly
1698640586524.png

Last edited:

Remember, it was Quantum & the gutless leagues club that forced legend Glen Stewart out of the club - not the so called evil Penn family. Tooves
naively backed Quantum. Penn didn't forget that.

people dont like hearing these facts, doesn't suit their agenda

Yes, Scott Penn is a pelican. I would probably use a lot stronger words than that to describe him though @Cameron Personally, I think he is just a wealthy parasite, who has sucked the life and the spirit out of the Manly Warringah Football Club.

100% this

There was nobody more anti Des than me when he left at the end of 2011.

However on any objective measure it is clear that the club has been woefully mismanaged ever since then.

This makes me see it from Des’ point of view and appreciate that the sad reality is they completely mismanaged his contract back then, as they have again now.

The club even had a second chance with Toovey, who I still believe could have been a great coach. They botched that as well, and we haven’t been a contender since Toovey got the bullet.

They then arguably has a third chance when Des returned (I say arguably because I’m not entirely convinced he is the coach he once was), and they stuffed that up as well.

Des is right that rainbowgate ruined our season. You just need to look at the results to see that. Whether it cost us a top 8 spot or not, management should hang their heads in shame.

I get the feeling the Titans will give Des just what he wants and needs.

Total control. Without the owner or his proxy puppet interference.

If you look at that titans side it has the makings of a great side.

Oh.
And I was at the parkwood club on the GC where the Titans Train and I can see the Des effect already in action.
It's a strange place for an NRL side to train as its open to the public, but already there has been a new albeit temporary building put up next to the training paddock.
Also other areas around the traing feild are changing. Classic Des taking control.

I get the feeling the Titans will give Des just what he wants and needs.

Total control. Without the owner or his proxy puppet interference.

If you look at that titans side it has the makings of a great side.
mmm..they haven't really delivered anything of note for the past few seasons EOL. Bit like us I guess, new coach big expectations, usual stuff just before the pre-season kicks off. Talks cheap, and finishing behind the Phins this year was a real low bar for them, Des will wan't to get there supporters on side quickly or it could get ugly real quick.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8