Pre-Game Manly v Panthers [Round 5, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

32 18
4 Pines Park
06 Apr 2024 05:30 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to remain positive or at the very least slightly optimistic.....whatever you do, don't check Manlys wet weather form.
And definitely don't think about whether wet weather tends to favour a team that tries to win by controlling the middle over a team that tries to win by spreading the ball early and has a recent history of not being able to hold onto a dry ball.

If you want to remain positive or at the very least slightly optimistic.....whatever you do, don't check Manlys wet weather form.
Over the past few years I don’t think it has mattered rain, hail or shine. Our performance really has been a lottery either way. That said the panthers strength is line speed and getting up quickly - which you would think will be slowed in very wet conditions.

Well, the upside here is that our dry-weather form over the last few years is not exactly consistent and/or awe-inspiring either…

[EDIT: Waz13 beat me to it.]

As an interested observer, I would be asking serious questions about this side if they are given a pasting by Penrith. This is no bottom 8 team. In fact they should be at least in the top 6. Five top of the line players in Jurbo, Turbo, Olakau'atu, DCE and Koula, another set of solid first graders in Brooks, Brown, Garrick, Paseka, Aloiai, Corker, a couple of work horses in Sipley and Waddell and a kid on the rise in Burbo. This is no low grade side. Their attack potential is the equal of most sides. Their defense should be better than average. On paper they should be easily accommodating some of the sides they play. A good, though spluttering start, against the Rabbits and Chooks. But they've since dropped the ball against two sides they should have easily defeated. There's something not working in their combinations. I hope its rectified by this weekend. Otherwise I would be looking at the structure of their play more closely

As an interested observer, I would be asking serious questions about this side if they are given a pasting by Penrith. This is no bottom 8 team. In fact they should be at least in the top 6. Five top of the line players in Jurbo, Turbo, Olakau'atu, DCE and Koula, another set of solid first graders in Brooks, Brown, Garrick, Paseka, Aloiai, Corker, a couple of work horses in Sipley and Waddell and a kid on the rise in Burbo. This is no low grade side. Their attack potential is the equal of most sides. Their defense should be better than average. On paper they should be easily accommodating some of the sides they play. A good, though spluttering start, against the Rabbits and Chooks. But they've since dropped the ball against two sides they should have easily defeated. There's something not working in their combinations. I hope its rectified by this weekend. Otherwise I would be looking at the structure of their play more closely
Definitely dropped the ball [ and also literally of course ] ] against the Dragons in terms of attacking or better organized attacking structure but not lacking that much in Manly "s i st 3 outings
Also hardly rate the Eels as a team that should have been defeated easily , they have class right through their line up and have been one of the few sides to regularly give the Panthers a decent run in recent seasons.
Ryan Matterson on their bench is probably an indication of their overall strength level .
Dragons backs are pretty fair as well though definitely thought the Manly pack should have had a clear edge over their rival pack .
Shocking day controlling the ball and game was obviously Manly"s biggest problem .
Good Manly side on paper for sure but also unfortunately most of the other sides having some very decent rosters as well

Over the past few years I don’t think it has mattered rain, hail or shine. Our performance really has been a lottery either way. That said the panthers strength is line speed and getting up quickly - which you would think will be slowed in very wet conditions.
Pretty sure it was like 90% of the games that Riff lost last year were played in the rain…
Does not guarantee you anything but it gives you a chance to get them into a slugfest and restricts their ability to outskill you… “restricts” not “eliminates”…

Definitely dropped the ball [ and also literally of course ] ] against the Dragons in terms of attacking or better organized attacking structure but not lacking that much in Manly "s i st 3 outings
Also hardly rate the Eels as a team that should have been defeated easily , they have class right through their line up and have been one of the few sides to regularly give the Panthers a decent run in recent seasons.
Ryan Matterson on their bench is probably an indication of their overall strength level .
Dragons backs are pretty fair as well though definitely thought the Manly pack should have had a clear edge over their rival pack .
Shocking day controlling the ball and game was obviously Manly"s biggest problem .
Good Manly side on paper for sure but also unfortunately most of the other sides having some very decent rosters as well
Agree certainly dropped an opportunity v Saints. That said, I think that dragons team will surprise a few this year. They ain’t the worst team in the comp.

Pretty sure it was like 90% of the games that Riff lost last year were played in the rain…
Does not guarantee you anything but it gives you a chance to get them into a slugfest and restricts their ability to outskill you… “restricts” not “eliminates”…
Didn’t know that Frank. But certainly adds weight to their structures and game plan possibly being impacted by the rain. You’d think their approach of firing off the line will impact their endurance across the team as the match wears on. Their backs will all be doing most of the grunt work out of their end so we need Jake, Haumole, and co need to be right there to bash them and force errors. I give us a good shout at a win this weekend.

Didn’t know that Frank. But certainly adds weight to their structures and game plan possibly being impacted by the rain. You’d think their approach of firing off the line will impact their endurance across the team as the match wears on. Their backs will all be doing most of the grunt work out of their end so we need Jake, Haumole, and co need to be right there to bash them and force errors. I give us a good shout at a win this weekend.
I may have over-egged those stats a little…

They lost 6 games and 4 were in wet conditions so what is that 66%? But one of those wet losses was to the tigpies so I am gonna push it up to 90% 🤣

3 years ago..

3 years ago.jpg

Hopefully better this week.

Jersey flegg postponed now due to heavy rain predicted. Only nsw cup and nrl now on Saturday

I was suprised they didn’t use his record equaling game last week as motivation, recall BA talked about Reg’s 200th the week before and how they used it to win it for him against us, thought there was another milestone game that weekend as well that was mentioned by another coach and how his boys where not going to let him down, can’t remember the player or the particular game, scrub that just remembered it Bigdogs 300th and Robo wanking on about it after the game. Maybe our lads will dig deep and make up for last week, make Chez’s record setting milestone a game to remember, here’s hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8