Pre-Game Manly v Penrith [Round 24, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

12 24
4 Pines Park
10 Aug 2023 07:50 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently watching the Panthers v Storm game and bloody hell the Panthers are just in a different class than us. They will do something horrible to us when we play I reckon!

OMG we could see the NRL's first 80 point margin. This will be comical watching us attempt to look like an NRL team.
Yep watching them tonight it will get real ugly real quick next Thursday night.
dont think 80 but a very heavy defeat coming up.
44-4 something like that.
panthers very impressive tonight

My daughter has a stage performance next week - thank God it's on Thursday night 🙌🏻
Normally I'd sulk and kick stones but yeah won't mind missing this one.

Yep watching them tonight it will get real ugly real quick next Thursday night.
dont think 80 but a very heavy defeat coming up.
44-4 something like that.
panthers very impressive tonight
Sadly, just no fire power in the fwds, Woods, Sipley and Keppie no doubt will give it their all, but it's going to be Riff one way traffic from the 10min mark.

Stock up on the lube people. By yourself a mouth guard and get ready to bite down hard. This is gunna hurt.

We haven’t beaten them since 2018.
Lol… we have had a terrible record against them for as long as I can remember…

I reckon it was around 2018 that we beat them in the last round (to squeeze into the finals) and then they pantsed us the next week to knock us out of the finals…

And that was before they were good… next week will be a good game to miss I reckon…

We seem lost in attack unless it's a long range try or a moment of brilliance. We don't have any plays to beat even an average defence. I can't even see us scoring against them, they will suffocate us then roll in a few easy tries without getting out of second gear. 36-0 or thereabouts. It will be more like an opposed training run for them. Our defensive intensity last for about 5 minutes then we fold. I hope I'm proved wrong and we pull off a shock win but I just can't see it.

My observation, in semi-short form (just an essay, not War and Peace)

Last night was basically like when Penrith went to Melbourne in Rd.18. Melbourne started well, and then Penrith somewhat easily got themselves back into the game before powering on to a strong win.

Penrith are good. Scary good. Scary in that even without the likes of Cleary, Luai, Yeo, Martin ... they still could have won last night.

We can win next week ... but I fear that unless Penrith have a really bad Thursday night, we'll be hard pressed to get within cooee, even at Brookie.

You know, its sad to think that Ivan was a Manly junior and that if things had gone different, Nathan Cleary might have been a Sea Eagle. Ivan's last game for us was 5 September 1993, exactly 29 years and 11 months ago from today. Unfortunately it was a 10–36 Qualifying Final loss to Brisbane at the old SFS.

For the younger ones here who might not know ... Ivan Cleary was a goal kicking fullback out of Beacon Hill who was in our Reserve Grade from 1991–92. But because we had goal kicking superboot and Kiwi test fullback Matthew Ridge, Cleary's path playing first grade fullback at Manly was all but blocked, so he signed with Norths from 1994. He did play a few games in 1992, and spent half a season in first grade playing his chosen position when Ridge got injured in 1993 and was our top point scorer that year, but he knew it was likely back to Reserve Grade when 1994 rolled around with a fully fit Ridge ready to go. Ironically, after signing Cleary, Norths then signed goal kicking half Jason Taylor from Wests. Then Cleary got an injury in the pre-season and by the time he came back, Matt Seers was the debut fullback sensation and instead of being the goal kicking fullback he originally left Manly to be ... Ivan ended up as a rarely used 2nd choice kicker playing mostly in the Bears centres for 2 years before Gould signed him to play for Easts, sorry, Sydney City where both fullback and goal kicking was his finally.

So yeah, the Cleary's could have been at Manly instead of Penrith. Such is life.

Last edited:
Lol… we have had a terrible record against them for as long as I can remember…

I reckon it was around 2018 that we beat them in the last round (to squeeze into the finals) and then they pantsed us the next week to knock us out of the finals…

And that was before they were good… next week will be a good game to miss I reckon…
Yer and I remember that game and I remember Dylan Walker mouthed off giving them a spray with such arrogance, when it was a nothing game, (did he know we’d be playing them again the following week in the the first elimination ?) anyway I believe his stupidity was the catalyst that motivated them to return and reem us and they haven’t stopped ever since. Cant wait for the next instalment…….

Yer and I remember that game and I remember Dylan Walker mouthed off giving them a spray with such arrogance, when it was a nothing game, (did he know we’d be playing them again the following week in the the first elimination ?) anyway I believe his stupidity was the catalyst that motivated them to return and reem us and they haven’t stopped ever since. Cant wait for the next instalment…….
One thing Walker did well was arrogance… his attitude has improved since he got off the Xanax…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12