Post-Game Discussion Manly v Rabbitohs [Round 1, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Rabbitohs
36 Allegiant Stadium
03 Mar 2024 13:30
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Thought our attack was much better than we've seen for awhile but is that the Turbo factor or did having Brooks give us more options. Still shakey with our defensive resolve in our 20 though. Get Schuster right plus add Lodge and Sipley back should be good to see.

Two sad things about this match:

Saab probably out for 6-8 weeks with a blown hamstring.

And we could have put 50 on them.

A good thing.

We won our first round match which hasnt happened for years.

We didnt get pumped. Not that I thought we would.

Hope Saab is alright. Or else we will have to learn how to love Paulo... Thought he was probably our worst tonight, Paulo. Just didn't put his body on the line. But you could say Saab did, and he's done his hammy as a result. Either way, how do we replace Saab? Bring in Talau and push Garrick back to wing? Personally I thought Garrick was excellent at centre tonight. Just hope Saab isn't off for long.
No guarantees that Garrick will be fit for round 2 either which would be a worry to be missing both!

Well, our energy and fitness shocked me. Our attack looked slick. After a shakey start, I thought our forwards ground down one of the league's heavyweights.

DCE looks sublime. Brooks looks deadly.

I appreciated the combo of Croker / Lawton. I was worried about that.

I honestly thought our middles was going to be a weak point. For 60 minutes I think we dominated in that area. That's a HUGE relief.

Summary: as @NREagle suggests to me, I think I under estimate our team. I was absolutely extremely happy with that performance.

Now:
1. Get Brown home stat
2. Look after our lethal winger.

Thought our attack was much better than we've seen for awhile but is that the Turbo factor or did having Brooks give us more options. Still shakey with our defensive resolve in our 20 though. Get Schuster right plus add Lodge and Sipley back should be good to see.

• Our goal-line defence needs a lot more work.
  • We are a much better side with Turbo than without. Even when he was "out of form" in early 2023 he was leading our tries, try assists and line break assists. In saying that, Brooks definitely gives more options. Naturally he's a running 5/8, but he does know when to pass. Paulo needs to learn that last one.....
  • I thought Burbo was good tonight. Schuster is going to have a fight on his hands for that left edge role.
  • For mine, Brown should be our lock and Jake as the 80 minute prop. Brown added a lot of energy to our forwards which was sorely lacking in their first half running.
  • With Saab's injury I would have Garrick back on the wing even though he got better at centre as the game went along tonight. And I'd have either Parker or Tommy Talau at centre. But I get the sinking feeling that Ray is going to get first crack at it.....

Overall it was a good first up performance. We could have dropped our bundle when Souths got their leads, but we stuck it out and came out with the win.

Very pleasantly surprised by the composure & determination shown by Manly, especially after Souths came out & scored 2 in quick succession after half time.

Burbo has arrived, Brooks is unleashed, Turbo is healthy & Brown provides Jurbo good cover at lock.

Only downer was Paulo - he looked out of place - & Saab doing his hammy.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8