Post-Game Discussion Manly v Rabbitohs [Round 1, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Rabbitohs
36 Allegiant Stadium
03 Mar 2024 13:30
80:00 minute

Match Stats

That was a classic double movement. Thank goodness it didn’t affect the outcome. Momentum is irrelevant if you promote the football after it touches the ground like that. A good win but defensively out wide we are still brittle even on a skinny field.
The scary thing is that the dopey video ref took a risk awarding that try when it was completely unnecessary and wouldn’t have effected the outcome, now they have made a rod for their own back when the next one like it is rightly disallowed.

For mine out of today, while the win was good ... the impact from our forwards wasn't so good.

Haumole with 180 and Brown with 110 were the only Manly forwards with over 100 run metres. Next were Paseka (82) and Jake (81).

Post Contact Metres saw 95 for Olakau'atu, 44 for Paseka, 35 for Brown and 28 for Aloiai. Jake again doesn't make a lot of PCM's, only pushing on for 19.

Saab ran for 248. Turbo for 221, Garrick for 214.
Dunno, half of that is how teams structure their sets now with the outside backs taking early hit ups.

The Penrith way, if you will.

We made more metres than South, more post contact metres and averaged more distance per set.

Forwards did their job.

Man, I was surrounded by all Souths supporters and they were giving it to me early. But I can't describe how fantastic it was here when Brooksie scored. And even American beer is tasting good right now. 🤣

Saaby didn't look good so expect to miss him for a bit and expect to miss Brownie also. But again, we now have options.

Man, what a great day!! 🦅🦅🦅🦅🦅🦅🦅🦅🦅

• Our goal-line defence needs a lot more work.
  • We are a much better side with Turbo than without. Even when he was "out of form" in early 2023 he was leading our tries, try assists and line break assists. In saying that, Brooks definitely gives more options. Naturally he's a running 5/8, but he does know when to pass. Paulo needs to learn that last one.....
  • I thought Burbo was good tonight. Schuster is going to have a fight on his hands for that left edge role.
  • For mine, Brown should be our lock and Jake as the 80 minute prop. Brown added a lot of energy to our forwards which was sorely lacking in their first half running.
  • With Saab's injury I would have Garrick back on the wing even though he got better at centre as the game went along tonight. And I'd have either Parker or Tommy Talau at centre. But I get the sinking feeling that Ray is going to get first crack at it.....

Overall it was a good first up performance. We could have dropped our bundle when Souths got their leads, but we stuck it out and came out with the win.
I agree with all of this.

Even tho Sths scored twice after the break, I knew we had the attacking weapons to beat Souths and we did.

Gotta fix that goal line defence up, which I'm sure the coaches have noted.

Last team to win a comp in living memory with a lack of defence was the 2005 Tigers.
The odds aren't great if we choose to just outscore the opposition every week, however enjoyable it may be to watch.

Saab's early set runs were outstanding. He has really improved there.

Brooks looked excellent. Defensively as well as with ball in hand. Keep running son.

Nathan Brown brought energy, speed, and aggro....love it!

Good game plan by Siebs as well. We played to our strengths, which also correlated with Souths weaknesses.

Man, I was surrounded by all Souths supporters and they were giving it to me early. But I can't describe how fantastic it was here when Brooksie scored. And even American beer is tasting good right now. 🤣

Saaby didn't look good so expect to miss him for a bit and expect to miss Brownie also. But again, we now have options.

Man, what a great day!! 🦅🦅🦅🦅🦅🦅🦅🦅🦅
What happened to Brown?

Dunno, half of that is how teams structure their sets now with the outside backs taking early hit ups.

The Penrith way, if you will.

We made more metres than South, more post contact metres and averaged more distance per set.

Forwards did their job.
I agree, I thought for the bulk of the game we marched up the field pretty well and contained their metres.

So good to beat Souths after our recent struggles against them. To do it under such a big spotlight is also very satisfying.

A great team performance. I love that you can sense we are scheming with the ball all the time. We’ve got the attack to shake the competition this year. I just hope we can go toe to toe with opposition team packs.

DCE was very good. One poor low percentage play kicking for Saab from within our half when we were rolling through their middle was the wrong play. I thought I heard them say they would build pressure and opportunities. Old bad habits.
He was great however there were two brain explosions, the other was the kick after Saab’s long break on the second tackle. 🤦‍♂️

Yeah i agree, at least Parker is a big body and rock solid in defence. He could be good in that 2nd row spot if Burbos defensive reads don’t improve and Schuster doesnt get going.
Probably not a bad idea but I suspect with the combinations and all the work we’ve done in pre season, we’ll probably see Vaega come onto the wing. If Garrick’s ankle is no good, we’ll probably see Talau as first off the rank.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8