Game Day: Manly v Rabbitohs [Round 2, 2017]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Mate DCE clearly couldn't handle the pressure when Foran left and it was all up to him. I'm afraid he's been badly found out. No one to hide behind now. His confidence is now shot to pieces. His kicking game is just abysmal and has very little to contribute
he has no confidence anymore he used to kick 40 meters for touch after a penalty now he kicks 10 or 20. last year he missed touch like 5 times. We are screwed

Hopefully Barrett will start to get some common sense and reality into his selections given his job is now very much on the line. I said he should have until Round 10 but I'm thinking he wont last close to that long if he doesnt get this team winning and holding the ball. Another game where they had substantially less possession than the opposition and a heavy penalty count against them.

Quite obvious that some players such as Turbo, Kelly, DCE, Jake T, Lawrence and even Mr Plod are putting in, while others are just not in there. I think Walker is injured so I'll give him an excuse. But Green looks ordinary, Taufua isnt interested. Sironen seems lost, Api tries but its not good enough and the rest, other than Bainbridge, shouldnt be in first grade. Cullen mind you really didnt have a good term on the field and would be far better in the starting 13 I suspect.

But Barrett has to stop promoting Brown, Winterstein, Kennedy etc. If Green doesnt improve, bring in Hastings
Mr plod Hahaha old poo in a shoe still can't believe we bought him. wish we made a play for Vaughn and Barnet both goers and would of been cheap

Having watched the replay of the game in the cold hard light of a few days later, I have reached the conclusion that Manly were not far from winning this contest, had a few mistakes and one questionable refereeing decision, not been made.

The mistakes I noted were Green's tackle that led to a 10 minute absence (deserved), a dropped ball by Tom T. when a try looked highly likely. Another scooped back ball from Api that unfortunately found a Souths player when again a try was looking likely, Taufua's dropped ball from a kick worsened by Uate grabbing it off side, and the shepherding penalty against Walker, which though legal was being very pedantic on the refs part.

On several of these occasions, had the ball been held, play allowed to continue etc, Manly could sell have scored a couple more tries. Souths took all their chances, Manly didnt. And we mustnt overlook the fact that Manly had scored four tries to three up until the 60th minute, The Taufua/Uate incident seemed to break their confidence.

Souths are not a bad side with Reynolds back with Cody Walker, Sutton, Farah and Burgess leading the way. But I felt DCE matched it with their halves, though Green was disappointing. Manly's centres despite a few mistakes were always dangerous as was Tom T, who also made some uncharacteristic mistakes. Lawrence and Jake T tried hard and Mr Plod tried his best while on the field. Even Api tried hard.

But it was very noticeable that when Manly had the ball they were making far less ground than Souths. Manly just didnt have consistent grunt up front. This made it difficult for our backs to get close enough, often enough, to make serious attacks on the Souths line. And the range of options on the fifth seemed limited.

In all the extent of the loss was not representative of the closeness of the tussle until the last 20 minutes. It was then that Manly's light weight and at times unimaginative forwards capitulated. With Taupau, AFB and Lussick back in a few weeks, I think Manly will look a lot more dangerous.

Changes? Schuster for Taufua, Amone for Brown, Bainbridge for Winterstein, Hopoate for Kennedy. I would also consider Cullen or Hastings for Green if the latter doesnt pick up his game

I can't see a reason to drop Jorge. Yes he did drop that ball, but otherwise he had a strong game and his 137 metres gained didn't come from 90 metre runs, they came from tucking the ball under his arm and charging into the defensive line because the forwards were too buggered to get back onside.

Hastings for Api should be one move, but it won't happen.

Cullen should be there anyway with Brown in NSW Cup, but again its not going to happen.

Until we get our props back we're stuck with reserve grade quality forwards in a first grade competition. And while we have that our halves won't have a platform to work from and we'll be relying on individual brilliance to do anything.

There was a statistic on the Matty Johns show
Souths win 38-18, was the highest score they have scored at brookvale oval since 1954, damming stat if true.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8