Game Day: Manly v Rabbitohs [Round 5, 2016]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just back from the game

For me we just looked a little blunt on the final pass compared to them...but it is something that you can see building. A pass sticks here or there and we run away with it

Also for locals Thursday night footy is great....shame about the result and lack of stubby holders...

It has been a problem for a few years now. Bigger sides mauling us at yhe start. Our D can be better. We run side ways even slide backwards in defense sometimes?? I was hoping the defense coach from Melbourne woukd fix that?

Yeah, we have the NRL's 3rd worst point diff. That's certainly a worry.

That said, I think I read somewhere we have the 3rd biggest team this season. I really hope that means we stop getting leaned on by opposition forwards - but we continue to.

We have just come home from the game. The Souths players warmed up in front of us and the first thing you notice is how much larger and stronger they are to most of our players. I'm not surprised that they had the jump on us. It could have gone one of two ways - they could have done to us what Canterbury did to them last week or our boys could have fought back. I'm very proud of the way they managed to get back into the game and the fighting spirit they showed.

Did nothing. Looked slow and brittle.

Maybe hammy still worrying him. Hasn't really sprinted on it. He will come good hopefully

Gotta disagree. The only criticism I could have of Snake tonight would be that he was trying too hard.
Looked to me that he tried to take on a lot of responsibility ( and as a senior player you'd expect that ).

He was positionally spot on, didn't drop a bomb all night and tried his guts out.
The only error you could call if you were being picky was the inside ball from Api that went behind him which I'll forgive him for.
He's set the bar so high over the years it seems that most of us think he should score each week.
Last year he was being criticized for looking disinterested and lazy.... tough markers people!

All the talk in the paper is how gutsy souths were,wait,hang on a minute,they didnt score in the second half and we did. We need Ella,s report of the game,atleast we will get a fair shake our way and an honest opinion

Sick to death of hearing what a heroic effort by Spam Burgess.

Fact is he missed a game because he thought he was injured.

@Mark from Brisbane did you see MummyB after the match. I thought of you when they panned her way.

Gotta disagree. The only criticism I could have of Snake tonight would be that he was trying too hard.
Looked to me that he tried to take on a lot of responsibility ( and as a senior player you'd expect that ).

He was positionally spot on, didn't drop a bomb all night and tried his guts out.
The only error you could call if you were being picky was the inside ball from Api that went behind him which I'll forgive him for.
He's set the bar so high over the years it seems that most of us think he should score each week.
Last year he was being criticized for looking disinterested and lazy.... tough markers people!
Um Snake should also probably maybe never kick again...

I think we may be onto something here.That was the first really encouraging game in a LONG time.
Warriors may be in a bit of trouble next week.
It feels like Trent is playing with the puzzle week in week out.

I really liked the second half effort.

But just so I don't slide into parra mediocrity......

Gee it'd be nice to have been 3 from 5 with that effort!

:)

go Manly

All the talk in the paper is how gutsy souths were,wait,hang on a minute,they didnt score in the second half and we did. We need Ella,s report of the game,atleast we will get a fair shake our way and an honest opinion

Saw her there 50m line front of the hill about 10m from us.

also saw the badger supporting his wife in the 20's. Dissappointed he left after but i guess they are there for work not the game

So, what were they doing in the off-season? Granted you need real match time to refine it, but there was barely any evidence of them trying to put on any plays in the attacking 20.
Walker is a work in progress, he's had five games and I think he's improving. It's not going to look like Foran when he gets it right, it's going to look like Dylan Walker. I doubt Api practiced at halfback during the pre season, he was signed as our first choice hooker.

I keep saying, it's a fitness thing. Teams come out, and blast us early, because it works. They tear us apart while we build into the game.

It's 2016 - you can't build into games. Teams will rip you apart - look at this, Sharks, Tigers starts against us - literally tearing us to shreds.

If we can't play for 80, something has to be wrong, and I think it's that our players can't play for 80 minutes, but can play well for 65 odd.
It's not a fitness thing Ryan for the most part, we are getting drained by not being able to combat the power game of fresh mobile big forwards running hard and straight----it has been the case since 2013 and progressively getting worse year on year.

Almost invariably we lose the battle of field position from the start, heading backwards bracing for impact and unable to keep up increasing the liklehood of getting penalties against us at the wrong times of sets or due to better field position more repeat sets.

We lack the self belief ,confidence or the right kind of hardened up size to handle hard running big forwards at the advantage line and produce a dominant ball and all tackle. As we brace for impact it becomes harder to stop the momentum so more players get sucked in to finish the tackle---through struggling to contain the physical hard running bigger forwards each tackle drains our resources.

Our go forward sets are soft in comparison and do not drain the defensive line, we lack the ball playing options now to combat this by using skilled lateral ball movement for softer second man spread go forward.

If you don't have the ball playing composed skill level the higher risk of lateral ball movement will result in a higher turn over rate---or soft one out hitups that get dominated and are either ineffective or attacking defence can induce a mistake.

Yes you will see Manly after the initial first 20-30mins start coming over teams once the fatigue factors kicks in, self belief of being able to better withstand the slower running of bigger forwards is restored and it "looks" like the team has found some energy or "woken up".

The two biggest momentum swings in the Souths game was the kick off blunder and the power run from Taupau with Starling working off the back of. The changing of momentum was really the first time we started to induce some fatigue back into Souths.

Until Manly can start either breaking tackles or creating openings with more lateral skilled ball movement we are going to keep being dominated and looking flat.

Until Manly start bending in when hitting a forward with more attacking defence that can induce some fatigue and pain through our defence we will always be on the back foot unless we develop a sound slowing down technique.

Right now it is like we are sitting back accepting the inevitable hoping to not leak too many points then ramp up as the opposition becomes more containable due to slowing down---if that opportunity arises at all.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7