Post-Game Discussion Manly v Storm [Round 16, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Storm
36 4 Pines Park
30 Jun 2022 19:50
80th minute

Match Stats

Thought Garrick was not at his best, but was impressed with Saab's improvement hitting up after a kick. Has definitely worked on getting his body low faster to improve his post contact position.
Garrick took a slightly late shot to the hip in the 20th min, when delivering a lovely ball to Saab for our 2nd try, he was a passenger from that point on, needled at half time, a good gutsy effort to stay in the game.

Last edited:
DCE is a real contradiction

I thought the short kick-off was a master stroke as it was exactly what the storm would not have expected and threw their rhythm out...but then he did that kick

All that said no DCE and we do not even get close in that game

Koula jogged the final 20m...in saying that, due to his stature, he has obviously had to put on a fair bit of bulk to meet the demands of FG
I think he ran out of puff. After he scored his first NRL try (also long range) recently, he said his legs were burning on the way to the line. He is only 19 with his body still developing and puts enormous effort into his defensive work, usually against much bigger players. Overall, his work rate is higher than most wingers. In comparison, Saab never looks out of breath during his long range tries. It would be interesting to match up the two players in a track race. As you say, I suspect Koula has lost speed & Saab has gained speed. Roger Fabri said that Saab can keep pace with some national sprint champions over 60 metres. It would be excellent if Saab could encourage a few Sea Eagles to join him in his off season sprint training with Fabri.

Maybe during the off season, a major sponsor could organise a race to find the NRL's fastest - Saab, Hammer, JAC, Koula, Coates, Garrick, Cobbo, Savage?

Looking at the positives, I was really happy to see Saab, Harper and Koula have strong games and score tries. They'll all keep growing in confidence with displays like that. Harper has started returning the ball with a bit more venom and was faultless in the air. Christian was also great (apart from the one dodgy play-the-ball that led to the Storm's first try) and scored another great try from a bomb. We needed improvement from all of them and they delivered. Paseka was also excellent off the bench in his return to NRL football and the forwards as a whole were strong, even without Aloiai. We need to reduce the crazy mistakes and I'm still worried about our right-side defence, but there is plenty to work with.

One of Saab's best games. He seemed really determined to run hard at the defenders when bringing the ball back and he dented the line when he did so.
He'll always be gangly but that's just his build, I thought he really ripped in last night and that's a great sign for his development.

Here are our Negative Play Stats for the Round 16 Match against the Storm:

Set Restarts x 2

02:47 - Ruck Infringement - Jake Trbojevic
12:40 - Inside 10 Metres - Morgan Harper

Harper: 1
Jake: 1

Penalties x 8

10:12 - Offside inside 10m - Toafofoa Sipley
26:28 - Ball Strip - Morgan Harper
27:17 - Ball Strip - Lachlan Croker
68:44 - Slow Peel - Jake Trbojevic
69:26 - Hand in the Ruck - Lachlan Croker
73:26 - Offside inside 10m - Daly Cherry-Evans
75:44 - Other - Josh Schuster
77:32 - Other - Daly Cherry-Evans

DCE: 2
Croker: 2
Schuster: 1
Sipley:1

Errors x 11

01:30 - Haumole Olakau'atu
04:34 - Sean Keppie
06:00 - Jake Trbojevic
10:04 - Jason Saab
11:53 - Christian Tuipulotu
18:12 - Tolutau Koula
25:35 - Martin Taupau
30:06 - Christian Tuipulotu
53:03 - Martin Taupau
70:59 - Morgan Harper
73:18 - Daly Cherry-Evans

Taupau: 2
Tuipulotu: 2
Cherry-Evans: 1
Keppie: 1
Koula: 1
Olakau'atu: 1
Saab: 1
Marty's biggest error of the night:

That was a shocker! So was his panic forward pass earlier in the game.
Other than that he went well, i thought.

Back from Brookie and what a bizarre game. From the first 10 minutes with both sides inexplicably having the dropsies, to the last 10 minutes when the score went from 36-12 to 36-30. At the end everyone was standing around recovering from near heart attacks!

Anyway, a win's a win and against the Storm makes it sweeter. An awesome birthday gift, both for me and for Reuben.
Happy birthday 🥳

Did anyone else hear the commentators making excuses for Melbourne near the end?

They had players travel back from Perth...um so did we. They had players travel from NZL...um so did we. They had players in the Campbelltown tests...um so did we...They had Kaufusi out...um we had Aloiai out. They had Munster out...um we had Tommy out.
They had Atkins, we didn't, they had the bunker clowns, we didn't.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8