Game Day: Manly v Storm [Round 24, 2016]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Bro when u had your other account you declared Parcell will be buy of the year and he was better than Api. Now you say different. Nevertheless, Parcell is the better of the two as a hooker.

maybe ... but Api sure adds more spark ... it would be great if Api played more games in the halves even as half & DCE at 5/8

I had to go out so only got the first half in. The penalties to the storm drove me nuts. Despite my early posting about an upset it was optimism and hope not logic. Half of team 13 v team 1 = not much chance.
Didn't want to come on here last night for the doom and gloom.
Young Brad Parker seems a good player. They seemed to have a little more spark in attack in the parts I saw.
Big improvements coming in 2017.
Go Manly!

I had to go out so only got the first half in. The penalties to the storm drove me nuts. Despite my early posting about an upset it was optimism and hope not logic. Half of team 13 v team 1 = not much chance.
Didn't want to come on here last night for the doom and gloom.
Young Brad Parker seems a good player. They seemed to have a little more spark in attack in the parts I saw.
Big improvements coming in 2017.
Go Manly!

Spot on Nicci! Storm are the likely minor premiers, coming off a loss against a team without Stewart, Matai, Walker, Lyon, Lussick, Lawrence and Api and no cohesion due largely to the fact that we've had only one player in Lewis Brown play every game this season. One player, that's quite an injury toll.

We were on a hiding to nothing last night but they still ripped in.

You are correct about the penalties. I don't think Melbourne got pinged for being inside the 10-metres all night, yet they were always infringing. Why a ref would give a clearly dominant team such a penalty advantage over a wounded opponent infuriated me. Melbourne didn't need any help.
I'd like to know how many penalties Manly received/conceded this season. Any statisticians among us?

What concerns me the most about the Manly side coaching is the selection policy. I've been a contributor on the forum called Roar for a few years now and recall the Australian selectors consistently playing it seemingly safe by selecting older more experienced but less talented cricketers consistently over the young obviously talented, brimming with enthusiasm but ignored. A group of us kept arguing for the selection of Smith, Warner, Khawaja, Hughes. Though unfortunately though one has passed away, the other three have starred when finally given the chance.

Manly are being coached in some ways the same way, that is playing it safe with the older less talented but more experienced players while ignoring the performances of the younger brigade.

The other night it was yet another example of playing it safe by using Wright at five eighth, Brown yet again at centre and new oldie Winterstein on the bench. There will be arguments about the cap etc but they brought Winterstein in just last week so they had some money.

Barrett did well in selecting Parker, but in a sense he should have learned the lesson shown by that decision. Parker was one of the best. So why ignore the claims of Hynes, Jamil Hopoate etc. Took him ages to give Knight a go yet Manly were losing game after game. I know its hindsight but I would have used Wright in the centre instead of Brown, Hynes at half, DCE at 5/8. Parcell would have started, Hopoate would have been on the bench instead of Winterstein. And that's just for this game.

I look at what Wests and Penrith are doing. They are experimenting with the young and its succeeding. Granted Manly's stocks are not as substantial as those two sides, but where you have cream, it should always be at the top. Barrett surely has to start giving these young kids more of a go, and stop playing it safe. Now is the time with two games to go. The experience will be priceless for those selected and set them up for next year.

What concerns me the most about the Manly side coaching is the selection policy. I've been a contributor on the forum called Roar for a few years now and recall the Australian selectors consistently playing it seemingly safe by selecting older more experienced but less talented cricketers consistently over the young obviously talented, brimming with enthusiasm but ignored. A group of us kept arguing for the selection of Smith, Warner, Khawaja, Hughes. Though unfortunately though one has passed away, the other three have starred when finally given the chance.

Manly are being coached in some ways the same way, that is playing it safe with the older less talented but more experienced players while ignoring the performances of the younger brigade.

The other night it was yet another example of playing it safe by using Wright at five eighth, Brown yet again at centre and new oldie Winterstein on the bench. There will be arguments about the cap etc but they brought Winterstein in just last week so they had some money.

Barrett did well in selecting Parker, but in a sense he should have learned the lesson shown by that decision. Parker was one of the best. So why ignore the claims of Hynes, Jamil Hopoate etc. Took him ages to give Knight a go yet Manly were losing game after game. I know its hindsight but I would have used Wright in the centre instead of Brown, Hynes at half, DCE at 5/8. Parcell would have started, Hopoate would have been on the bench instead of Winterstein. And that's just for this game.

I look at what Wests and Penrith are doing. They are experimenting with the young and its succeeding. Granted Manly's stocks are not as substantial as those two sides, but where you have cream, it should always be at the top. Barrett surely has to start giving these young kids more of a go, and stop playing it safe. Now is the time with two games to go. The experience will be priceless for those selected and set them up for next year.
Hynes isn't NRL material. Plus he and DCE would be a horrible combo, neither can control a side.

This has been the case always it isn't just Barrett. Thousands were screaming last year for Hiku to be dropped for Tom but Toovey never deviated from his original team unless there was injury.

Hynes isn't NRL material. Plus he and DCE would be a horrible combo, neither can control a side.

You dont know that Turbo until you try. I heard those same comments in cricket circles that Smith and Warner weren't up to test cricket before they finally got the chance. Both had their faults but both had something that suggested they would surprise. Hynes may show the same. If not, nothing lost. But if you dont try you'll never truly know, an axiom I learned and have stood by for much of my adult life.

I guess the difference is the salary cap. With hindsight it would have been good to include some more youngsters in our top 25....but then again I am not sure anyone could have predicted the injuries we have had this year

I guess the difference is the salary cap. With hindsight it would have been good to include some more youngsters in our top 25....but then again I am not sure anyone could have predicted the injuries we have had this year
How did we get to play the new guy?
I really don't understand the tier system.
Would appreciate a lesson!

Budgewoi Eagle, he came from another code .... not already under the cap

Thanks WL but what I mean is, at times during the year we've been unable to bring players up from the lower grades due to the Top 25 system. So how does this guy fit?
Because we let Tred, Burgo and Mateo go off the 1st Tier books.

Frank came from RU Evens, so he could sign after June 30

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10