Pre-Game Manly v Storm [Round 7, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

18 8
4 Pines Park
14 Apr 2023 08:00 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cowboys in 2015, Thurston had done everything ( except won a GF)

Sharks in 2016 , after being busted for drug cheating ( or was that after , if so how convenient) , Gallen, again had done everything and Sharks had never won , so time for a fairytale.

Maybe the brothers will get their fairytale after all.

Yeah, the player interviews seem a bit repetitive to me. All seem to be talking up the good game that's going to come this weekend, good for the fan optics I guess, but talk is cheap, and need to put it out there this Friday night, come on Manly !!
Would help if the interviewers asked more interesting questions. (Also would help if I could hear the interviewers' questions)

Stat Attack​

• The Sea Eagles have scored over 30 points in both games at 4 Pines Park this season.
  • The Storm have won six of their past seven games against the Sea Eagles.
  • Manly winger Jason Saab has scored five tries in his past three games against the Storm.
  • Storm centre Justin Olam has scored 10 tries in his last seven games against the Sea Eagles.
  • The Sea Eagles have conceded 30 points or more in three of their past four games

Stat Attack​

• The Sea Eagles have scored over 30 points in both games at 4 Pines Park this season.
  • Manly winger Jason Saab has scored five tries in his past three games against the Storm.
  • Storm centre Justin Olam has scored 10 tries in his last seven games against the Sea Eagles.
  • The Sea Eagles have conceded 30 points or more in three of their past four games
Past stats shouldn't mean squat. Whichever 17 players who run out there on Fri night have a chance to stick it up all us critics. Take ownership of their performance and come out and prove the doubters, i.e me, absolutely wrong. Please Manly, prove that I have no idea what I'm talking about. That's all it boils down to now. It's in their hands now and I think this game is a season defining game now.

I was referring to the ESL not the EPL ( that’s a different game ).

Let’s look at the last 10 winners

Apart from the top 3 or 4 you have some one offs , and I well remember in those years discussing on this very forum how things were being “ geared and greased “ to get these sides to win.

South’s in 2014 , the “ Pride of the League “ back so let’s make sure they get there.

Cowboys in 2015, Thurston had done everything ( except won a GF)

Sharks in 2016 , after being busted for drug cheating ( or was that after , if so how convenient) , Gallen, again had done everything and Sharks had never won , so time for a fairytale.

So 30% were “ unexpected “ , 70% from what I now call “ the big 4”.

Next 10 years will ONLY be the big 4 , it’s just geared that way , we, along with the rest are largely cannon fodder.

The only thing that would change is if a Saudi mega billionaire suddenly decided to take an interest in Rugby League and bought a club ( Manly as an example ) and said “ rightio I’m throwing 500 million in to this , you get the best coaches , the best players , the best facilities , and we’ll create a dynasty”.

The NRL have it all covered with the big 4, Queensland , Victoria , western Sydney , and Sydney.

They all rate on TV, they all have excellent facilities , they can all get the best players , they are all superbly funded.

Get used to it I think , and occasionally they’ll allow a non top 4 side to win as it’ll just get plain boring otherwise.

Almost to a tee , identical to the English Super League.

This is how Super League was always meant to be , the ARL lost , the past is the past.
Ah fair enough, MickQLD said EPL and you responded to that, so you can see how the inference would be the same.

I'd be willing to bet you whatever you wanted the the "so called" big 4 dont win the next ten competitions. But alas 10 years may be too long for a forum bet.

From your post above I assume you are calling the big four Melbourne? Roosters.......Broncos?....and Penrith?

The same Broncos who have won the comp in....16 years and havent made the finals in 3 years

340624297_169005502313455_1560009791661293878_n.jpg

Past stats shouldn't mean squat. Whichever 17 players who run out there on Fri night have a chance to stick it up all us critics. Take ownership of their performance and come out and prove the doubters, i.e me, absolutely wrong. Please Manly, prove that I have no idea what I'm talking about. That's all it boils down to now. It's in their hands now and I think this game is a season defining game now.
Especially against Melb, we've had some close games of late, the one at Brookie where we nearly threw it away after having match winning leads and the other occasion where we beat them at Aimee Park with the FG in golden point. Don't worry, Bellyache will be more worried than us I'd say.

Stat Attack​

so you're telling me that both teams will score more than 30, Storm has 6/7 of a chance of winning, Manly has 1/7 of a chance, saab will get a few tries, Olam will double the amount of saab's tries.

Ah fair enough, MickQLD said EPL and you responded to that, so you can see how the inference would be the same.

I'd be willing to bet you whatever you wanted the the "so called" big 4 dont win the next ten competitions. But alas 10 years may be too long for a forum bet.

From your post above I assume you are calling the big four Melbourne? Roosters.......Broncos?....and Penrith?

The same Broncos who have won the comp in....16 years and havent made the finals in 3 years
Yes I’m calling them a Big 4, and the reason for that is they are a financial juggernaut with the ability to buy / have whatever they want.

Why it hasn’t been a success is a series of pretty ordinary management / recruitment / old boys club etc etc.

They are much much better now , and with their backing yes I see them as a real powerhouse in the next decade.

Oh and sorry about the EPL / ESL mix up , but my point is that we are now just like our pommie mates.

Only 3 or 4 sides ever win.

And that’s where we either are , or are headed.

Name me one side outside the top 4 who could be regular premiers in the next decade???

Whereas , I’ll bet you ( figure of speech ) that the Storm , Broncos , Penrith and Roosters will win the bulk.

A team “ might” get lucky ( injuries say to big name players on the day ) and jag an upset , but $$$$ will always be the winner.

Oh and sorry about the EPL / ESL mix up , but my point is that we are now just like our pommie mates.

Only 3 or 4 sides ever win.

And that’s where we either are , or are headed.

Name me one side outside the top 4 who could be regular premiers in the next decade???

Whereas , I’ll bet you ( figure of speech ) that the Storm , Broncos , Penrith and Roosters will win the bulk.

A team “ might” get lucky ( injuries say to big name players on the day ) and jag an upset , but $$$$ will always be the winner.

We have quickly shifted from the only teams to win to winning the bulk of premierships.

Sure atm they look set up in the short to medium term for success but footy doesnt work like that, it isn't played on a spreadsheet. You could pick up and drop a pin at any moment in time and look to teams that appeared dominate with no end in sight and they all do end.

Also $$$$ will always be a winner.....The Bulldogs, Souths, The Cowboys and Dolphins are all very wealthy btw

In fact I'm sure I read a while back that the Cowboys were only second to the Broncos in terms of financial clout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10