Post-Game Discussion Manly v Warriors [Round 13, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Warriors
44 4 Pines Park
04 Jun 2022 19:35
80th minute

Match Stats

I would counter that with Dally Ms being extremely flawed. If judges watch a game and noone stands out, they will give it to a big name player.

It also favours highlights, so you could go missing in an unspectacular fashion for 79 minutes and slot a field goal to win the match, then you get Dally M points even if you not doing your job contributed to the opposition still being in the game in the last minute.
Sure there are those occasions, but you also have to balance that with the fact he had Tom taking points off him every week

View attachment 21290
Love this photo, especially Jake and Harper. Look at Johnson not putting in at all while Afoa has a go
Great photo and every picture tells the story

The story here is the Speedy Saab is in the clear
and Jake and Harper start celebrating a certain try
as no other player has a chance in hell of stopping him

The Party had just begun for Manly
and the Party had ended for the Warriors

Happy with the win of course but apart from Foran’s general play, there looked to be little, to no attacking structure. I can appreciate Schuster was having his first start in the #6 in a long time and “structured plays” aren’t exactly his thing. Perhaps it gave us a glimpse of what next year will be like with him and DCE in the halves.
Anyway as Mark pointed out, the forwards were terrific and they’ll need to be again next week, to go back to back against the Tigers.

At some stage the fox(?) sports commentators gave up simply said Johnson wasn't trying at all.
Johnson had no chance .

He would be flogging a dead horse

It was a one Horse race

I would like to see the fox sports commentator run out and catch him

The harder the Warriors players chased

The further Saab left them behind

It was a no contest and it ended before it started

I honestly believe it’s not fair to say that.

DCE behind that forward dominance last night “ may” have killed it.

So many in here blame him for our losses , forgetting that our custard forwards lost the game on their own right in the first 20 minutes ( the games we lost ).

Last night Sipley and Oshay Olay absolutely demoralised the Warriors in the first 15 minutes , they were running at will almost.

Let’s have this conversation when ( if) Foran and Schuster are up against the Panthers and we get rolled in the first 15 like the Warriors did.

By the way I’m not being a DCE apologist just looking at it without rose coloured glasses.
absolutely spot on... DCE is not the half to lead a team around the park nor is he that inspirational jump on my back leader who leads by example. He needs a forward back in control and he is then super at playing off the back of that. He is a once in a generation half behind a powerful pack. He is lost behind a beaten pack. Foran on the other hand plays the same game behind any pack and he is the type of half/five eighth who will lead by example and take the team on his back. DCE is not to blame for our woes our pack at times has not been consistent or powerful yet in other games ie the Parra game and last night they are fabulous. Hard to work out really. I still think a pack of Aloiai Croker Paseka Davey Haoumle and Jake really is a very good pack. Backed up by Sipley Walker Marty on the bench plus 1. Sadly with DCE back not only do we lose the creativity of Foran/Schu but we also lose that driving/directing half when our forwards are not going great and it will also cost Davey his spot and that leaves a huge huge hole. Maybe Des gives Foran the reigns when DCE comes back and tells Foran to be the director of the attack. But losing Davey to the bench is criminal... Schu will go back to the backrow and his creativity is great but he doesn't have Davey's determination, defensive workload and Davey really is also starting to run great angles. Somehow Des needs to get them all on the field at the same time and yes Foran running the show.

Great photo and every picture tells the story

The story here is the Speedy Saab is in the clear
and Jake and Harper start celebrating a certain try
as no other player has a chance in hell of stopping him

The Party had just begun for Manly
and the Party had ended for the Warriors
You must’ve been going off your nut when Saab went flying past you.
Also Zac Fulton making his NSW Cup debut would’ve had you wrapped.
I dare say, whoever you were sitting with last night Bozo have probably got some hearing issues today. :)

absolutely spot on... DCE is not the half to lead a team around the park nor is he that inspirational jump on my back leader who leads by example. He needs a forward back in control and he is then super at playing off the back of that. He is a once in a generation half behind a powerful pack. He is lost behind a beaten pack. Foran on the other hand plays the same game behind any pack and he is the type of half/five eighth who will lead by example and take the team on his back. DCE is not to blame for our woes our pack at times has not been consistent or powerful yet in other games ie the Parra game and last night they are fabulous. Hard to work out really. I still think a pack of Aloiai Croker Paseka Davey Haoumle and Jake really is a very good pack. Backed up by Sipley Walker Marty on the bench plus 1. Sadly with DCE back not only do we lose the creativity of Foran/Schu but we also lose that driving/directing half when our forwards are not going great and it will also cost Davey his spot and that leaves a huge huge hole. Maybe Des gives Foran the reigns when DCE comes back and tells Foran to be the director of the attack. But losing Davey to the bench is criminal... Schu will go back to the backrow and his creativity is great but he doesn't have Davey's determination, defensive workload and Davey really is also starting to run great angles. Somehow Des needs to get them all on the field at the same time and yes Foran running the show.
They also lose the pathetic performance of last nights opposition to make a few of those players look better

At some stage the fox(?) sports commentators gave up simply said Johnson wasn't trying at all.

edit:

I don't mean gave up in trying to chase Saab...

I meant that the commentators said Johnson gave up trying in the game as a whole.

3rd last year in the Dally Ms and on the leaderboard again this year suggests that consistency is there

There are a lot of variables in week to week footy that effect what the halfbacks are able to produce. The true greats can overcome that, but they are the select few like Johns and co. Unfortunately our side on these variables are extremely inconsistent as well. When we were rolling up the field with ease last season, like we were last night, he was terrific as the Dally M points showed

Look around the comp now, the Raiders went out of their way to get a bog average player like Fogarty out of his contract such is the talent in the position, we are lucky to have one of the very good ones. I draw some parallels to Matt Orford who was slammed on here for years as a player who couldn’t get the job done
Mate forget last year ..... that was a once in a lifetime effort by Tommy to drag everyone (including DCE) along for the ride. Put any halfback in the NRL into our side last year and we still make the finals and they probably poll well in Dally M's.

Seeing as the Dally M's are the benchmark here, since DCE signed his 8 year deal as the highest paid player in the league, name me the years he has won Dally M halfback of the year or even polled in the top 10 overall for Dally M points. I don't recall him ever being up the pointy end. He has no consistency to his game and only looks good when those around him are playing well.

He's not the worst half in the comp by any means, but he is far from being consistently the best. I wouldn't say Orford was slammed on here, maybe what Orford didn't get was the weekly apologists turning up to defend his sub par performances with the myriad of excuses DCE gets afforded every game that doesn't go well.

When Cronk was asked recently who should be the Australian half, he said Cleary as DCE lacks mental composure. I'm sure many here would agree. Except for clutch field goals, DCE doesn't seem to handle pressure well. For a half in his 12th year of NRL, he has brain explosions too often. It would probably help his game if he wasn't captain (IMO).

Edit: the term Cronk used was 'mental toughness' (not composure)

Last edited:
Mate forget last year ..... that was a once in a lifetime effort by Tommy to drag everyone (including DCE) along for the ride. Put any halfback in the NRL into our side last year and we still make the finals and they probably poll well in Dally M's.

Seeing as the Dally M's are the benchmark here, since DCE signed his 8 year deal as the highest paid player in the league, name me the years he has won Dally M halfback of the year or even polled in the top 10 overall for Dally M points. I don't recall him ever being up the pointy end. He has no consistency to his game and only looks good when those around him are playing well.

He's not the worst half in the comp by any means, but he is far from being consistently the best. I wouldn't say Orford was slammed on here, maybe what Orford didn't get was the weekly apologists turning up to defend his sub par performances with the myriad of excuses DCE gets afforded every game that doesn't go well.
Top 10 2017, 2021 and currently there this season as well

Don’t think you could name a halfback that’s come up trunks more often in the crunch situations over that period

Different memories on Orford, remember him being called a thief and someone who would never lead Manly to a competition win

Top pic Martin Bull, Steve Springall, Bill Hamilton
Are you sure it's Steve Springall? I'm only aware of Wayne, but please excuse my ignorance...

Good 'ol Herman Hamilton, that brings back memories. He's kept his age well.

Along with Cliffy and Beaver, I also saw to name a few, Craig Hancock, Heath Le Strange, Mark Bryant, Jamie Buhrer, etc - and couldn't miss the Wolfman.

What a Try !

Once Saab got the ball last night

It was Goodbye Charlie and Good night Irene

He left them all for dead sprinting away in only second gear

Smiling at the Bob Fulton stand from ear to ear

There is absolutely No Saabstitute for Speed
Speed thrills , Speed Kills and the faster you go the bigger the slower mediocre mess you leave behind !

View attachment 21280
the walk images GIF

One injury was that Lawton went off in the last 5 minutes with a knee injury (right in front of me) but he wasn't limping...it didn't seem too bad.
My apologies for the bum steer...suspected ACL! I'm shocked as it honestly didn't look that bad to me but I'm no medico, and it shows.

Are you sure it's Steve Springall? I'm only aware of Wayne, but please excuse my ignorance...

Good 'ol Herman Hamilton, that brings back memories. He's kept his age well.

Along with Cliffy and Beaver, I also saw to name a few, Craig Hancock, Heath Le Strange, Mark Bryant, Jamie Buhrer, etc - and couldn't miss the Wolfman.
Yes use to work with Steve, never played first grade

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10