Manly Waringah Sea Eagles v Knights

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Nutzcraw link said:
Friday night needs to be a vastly better performance than saturday night just gone.... knights will be tough.. but not impossible.

We have a good record against the knights at bluetongue... I think it'll continue.

Yes.

Des will surely have the boys primed for a big effort the whole game this weekend.
We showed quite a bit of weakness, errors and poor execution vs Sharks last week, the Knights will slap us in the face with that kind of stuff and come over the top of us mightily.

We know most of the forards are gonna put in, but what we need is Ballin executing some good variations and kicks, to help set up Orford & the other backs to work thier magic.

And of course our wingers need to step it up a gear & dominate well in both offensive & defensive plays they make.

We can win this, I'll put a couple of bets on Manly, 1 to win by 12, and another to win by 22 I think.

Go Sea Eagles!

Gidley will make a decision whether to play with his busted ribs as they're still causing him some grief apparently.

I hope T Williams has spent all week learning how to jump and defuse bombs, and where to place himself so he doesn't find that he's all the way up in the Newcastle line and Lyon/Farrar are 5m behind looking for him to pass the ball.

I'm slightly worried about this game.  The Knights are the team that have the whole 'backs to the wall/do it for each other' attitude and my guess is they'll come out firing from this Brian Smith thing, which in my opinion is really a non event.

Our lineup is pretty solid however, we can do this.  Hell, we HAVE to, since this is basically us at full strength if Snake doesn't return.

eggson link said:
Gidley will make a decision whether to play with his busted ribs as they're still causing him some grief apparently.

I hope T Williams has spent all week learning how to jump and defuse bombs, and where to place himself so he doesn't find that he's all the way up in the Newcastle line and Lyon/Farrar are 5m behind looking for him to pass the ball.

I'm slightly worried about this game.  The Knights are the team that have the whole 'backs to the wall/do it for each other' attitude and my guess is they'll come out firing from this Brian Smith thing, which in my opinion is really a non event.

Our lineup is pretty solid however, we can do this.  Hell, we HAVE to, since this is basically us at full strength if Snake doesn't return.

If Gidley plays, he would likely be OUR best player

eggson link said:

And find some enthusiasm as well
fist.gif
, Maybe Big George can lend him some

Hurt Kurt: Knights skipper to decide whether he'll line up against Manly

July 23, 2009

NEWCASTLE coach Brian Smith will entrust skipper Kurt Gidley to make a "smart decision" on whether he plays with the aid of painkilling injections against Manly at Gosford tomorrow night or stands down to allow a rib injury to heal.
Gidley tore his rib cartilage playing against Melbourne on July 4 and required needles to get through Origin III last week.
Gidley said the injury was healing, but he could not complete a full training session yesterday and former Wests Tigers custodian Shannon McDonnell is on standby.
Gidley is eager to play in a game that could catapult the Knights into the top four but he realises body contact is likely to aggravate the injury and prevent the tear from mending.
"I'll probably know tomorrow," Gidley said yesterday. "I'll train with the boys and see how it is. It's a bit of a catch-22, I guess, whether I play this week and keep getting needles, or whether I try to rest it and hope it comes good. As much as I want to play, I want to get it right, too."
Rib cartilage injuries are notoriously slow healing and, although Gidley said there was no pain once he had been needled before Origin III, he said the "popping in and out" of a loose rib was "one of the most uncomfortable things I've had".
Smith said the decision on whether Gidley played was "a big call" and he would back his skipper's judgment. But he also indicated Gidley had to consider the ramifications of playing. "It's a matter of making a smart decision and he's an experienced player," he said.
Smith was confident that Adam MacDougall (knee), Zeb Taia (virus) and Danny Wicks (virus), would be fit to play.

Was thinking today how it is unusual for us to have a friday night match this season, whereas last season it was the norm

Manly v Newcastle Knights, Bluetongue Stadium, Friday night, 7.35pm (EST)

“Time are tough at the moment, this side has got plenty of character and I promise you we will hang in there. There’s a long way to go.” Those prophetic words were uttered by Des Hasler after Manly lost to Newcastle at EnergyAustralia Stadium in April, their fourth defeat in a row to start the season. His Sea Eagles have hung in and enter this match in eighth place and with a real chance of pushing for an even higher finish. With four of their remaining games against teams below them on the ladder, and a home match against notorious bad travellers Gold Coast up their sleeve, the Manly title defence looks to be well and truly alive. Newcastle, though, can never be discounted, even taking into account a week of upheaval surrounding the departure of coach Brian Smith. They may have lost four of their last seven and keep relying on a superb defence to keep them in games, but they currently sit in fifth and have four of their last six games at home. Only once this season have they been beaten by more than 14 points.

Laurie Daley says: This depends on how the Knights react to the news that Brian Smith is leaving. They certainly are a very capable side and could well finish in the top four, so hopefully this won't disrupt their momentum. Manly were lucky to win the game against the Sharks last week. They tended to just crab across the field in attack and nobody really changed the angle, so that's something they are going to have to work on. I still think Manly can win this but Newcastle are a very good team who will challenge them all the way.+

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25822255-5016329,00.html

Sea Eagles v Knights Preview
http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latestnews/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/55961/sea-eagles-v-knights-preview/default.aspx

The importance of this Gosford game for both sides cannot be underestimated as we get closer and closer to finding a premier for 2009.

The reigning champion Manly side have clawed their way nicely back into the top eight and bounced back from a heavy loss to the Dragons with a win over Cronulla but they must continue winning or face the reality of once again being outside the finals zone.

Plenty are prepared to say they are a good chance at defending their premiership but due to a poor start to the year they do not have the luxury of any slip-ups over these last few weeks.

This game represents plenty for the Knights. It is the first since Brian Smith’s defection hit the newsreels and it is the first chance for us all to see just how the players might react to the news.

Will they use it as an excuse to lower their commitment to the cause or will they bind together and take advantage of the base Smith has built?

The answer of course doesn’t hinge on a win or a loss but the effort shown will give us a huge look into the possible short-term future of the Knights.

They enter the round in fifth spot on the ladder, fresh from the bye, but they are just one win ahead of the Sea Eagles in eighth. If they have designs on a top-four finish and a home final they need to win here but a loss could provide unwanted pressure to even stay in the top eight as they could fall to seventh quite easily.

The Sea Eagles welcome back Chris Bailey at five-eighth which sees Jamie Lyon shift back to centre and Kieran Foran move back to the bench.

Vic Mauro is out of the side, with his place on the bench taken by Shane Rodney, while the only other change sees Josh Perry slated to start at prop with Brent Kite coming from the reserves list.

For the Knights, captain Kurt Gidley returns to the side that beat Canberra before the bye, which sees Shannon McDonnell miss out.

Jarrod Mullen is also out, with Scott Dureau coming in at halfback, while the loss of Chris Houston will see Richie Fa’aoso start the game at prop and Cory Paterson join the bench.

Watch out Sea Eagles:
While the loss of Chris Houston is a big one for the Knights’ forward pack it gives us all a chance to see how Richie Fa’aoso might fare as a starter. Fa’aoso has been one of the competition’s most damaging bench forwards, upping the tempo when he comes on with his fresh legs against tiring defences.

The big unit averages 87 metres a match from the pine and has six line breaks, four line-break assists, two try assists and five tries along with 22 offloads for the year. Fa’aoso knows this is his chance to prove he is much more than an impact bench player; expect him to come out all guns blazing… bad news for the Sea Eagles’ defence.

Watch out Knights:
Des Hasler will have set the Sea Eagles’ radar to head predominantly right as he exploits not only his team’s strength but the Knights’ weakness.

The Manly boys have scored 28 tries on the right side of the field so far this year compared to 17 on the left, with Jamie Lyon being the Sea Eagles’ number one ‘go-to’ man for breaks and creativity. Lyon is a right-side player and his eight tries for the year are reason enough to head his way.

The Knights have conceded 24 tries down this side of the field compared to 15 on the other, so once again the green arrow seems to be pointing directly to the right.

Where it will be won: This game will centre on attitude and commitment. Both sides have everything to play for and therefore have no excuses not to give everything they have.

They are not at desperation levels yet – but this is a good thing as it means there is no point hitting the panic button and they can build substantial pressure with their attack and defence. Obviously one team is going to come out on top here (unless we have an unlikely draw) but we will learn how serious either side is about this premiership regardless of the result.

The two sides should be treating this match with semi-final intensity, as a win will go a huge way towards ensuring a spot in the post-season. We will get a sense of the hunger and passion in the Manly camp… do they really care as much as last season? We will get a sense of the Knights’ resolve… are they annoyed at Brian Smith for leaving them? Watch each side closely in key areas like goal-line and marker defence and kick-chase and see if you can differentiate commitment.

When you defend at marker it can be easy to take a small breather, but you will be found out by a clever dummy-half. When you don’t run that little bit harder chasing a kick, you leave the smallest gap, and bang – a good fullback or winger is through it. The side that aims up for 80 minutes with a true desire to make a statement and be in this competition will prevail.

The History: Played 35; Sea Eagles 20, Knights 15. Newcastle took care of the Sea Eagles earlier this season in Newcastle to the tune of 26-12 and have now won five of the past eight. However there has been a win-loss trend between the two teams for the past seven games so it would appear it’s time for a Manly win. The Sea Eagles have indeed won the two games between the clubs at Bluetongue Stadium.

Conclusion: Newcastle are above Manly on the competition ladder but key injuries have conspired against them here and they will be underdogs.

Jarrod Mullen is a huge part of the team and the loss of Chris Houston is also killer.

The Sea Eagles are close to full strength and as such should be good enough to get the chocolates here. The Knights are by no means out of this one, it just appears the distraction of the week plus the lack of key personnel might conspire against them.

Match officials: Referees – Tony Archer & Jason Robinson; Sideline Officials – Steve Carrall & Russell Turner; Video Ref – Bill Harrigan.

Televised: Channel Nine – Live 7.30pm (NSW), delayed 9.30pm (Qld); Fox Sports – Delayed 11.30pm.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Was thinking today how it is unusual for us to have a friday night match this season, whereas last season it was the norm

Last season we were a bit further up the ladder.

Unfortunately this year they have that mindless Red and White army to gush over, as well as the bullwogs army :(

The knights have heaps of players missing, they will be whole-hearted and quite well-organised but that won't be enough. I hope Gidley plays with his busted ribs because that will make our job easier, we will nail him in the first half and they will down on the interchange.

However I doubt he will play. If - sorry, when - we win our momentum will reach a new peak for 2009, some other ambitious teams will feel a bit depressed at the prospect of a Manly avalanche looming in the finals.

"Preview: Sea Eagles v Knights
Steve Orme, Sportal

VENUE & TIME: Bluetongue Stadium, Friday July 24, 7.35pm (AEST)
COVERAGE: Channel Nine
LAST TIME: Knights 26 - Manly 12, at Energy Australia Stadium, Round 4, 2009.

WALKING WOUNDED: Coach Des Hasler has named a full-strength line-up - with the exception of Brett Stewart who is still a month away following knee surgery. Departing Newcastle mentor Brian Smith doesn't have that luxury, with half-back Jarrod Mullen (ankle) and key forward Chris Houston (knee) the latest Knights to join the injured list. NSW winger James McManus (ankle) is also still sidelined but it's not all bad news with skipper Kurt Gidley to return from Origin duties and a rib-cartilage injury.

FORM: The Sea Eagles had to overturn a half-time deficit against the gritty but struggling Sharks at Toyota Stadium. While it wasn't pretty, the 32-26 win dragged the defending premiers, who have now won five of their last six matches, back inside the top eight. The fifth-placed Knights epitomised everything that they have become under coach Smith on the way to a 23-4 victory over Canberra before the bye. Having lost Mullen in the opening five minutes, they banded together to grind out the win in difficult circumstances. But consistency has not been their strong point recently having not notched back-to-back wins since Round 10.

WHO'S HOT: Ben Rogers stepped out of Mullen's shadow to play a leading hand in the win over the Green Machine, but he had plenty of help from his entire forward pack who all deserve a rap. Anthony Watmough picked up where he left off in his man-of-the-match performance for NSW in Origin III, leading the Sea Eagles home in a tight one against Cronulla. The rampaging back-rower is almost unstoppable when he's in this sort of form so look for another barnstorming effort this week.

WE THINK: What influence will Brian Smith's decision to jump ship and link with the Roosters from next season have on the Knights? Answer this question and you have your winner - well, sort of. While emotion will have a bearing on the result, the loss of Mullen for the Knights should tip the scales in favour of the hosts in what looms as a typically hard-fought encounter between these two great rivals. Sea Eagles by eight."

A reprise of 10th August 2007 result at Gosford on the cards tonight?...

[img=400x329]http://www.whaledive.net/assets/other/manlyknights100807a.jpg[/img]

:)

Fro link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=181129.msg233138#msg233138 date=1248329470]

Last season we were a bit further up the ladder.

Unfortunately this year they have that mindless Red and White army to gush over, as well as the bullwogs army :(
[/quote]

I love less Friday night games.. They're such a b!tch to get to after work. I am anticipating a nightmare driving from the city up the F3 to gossie tonight  :-\ Uuurgh.

ssar link said:
A reprise of 10th August 2007 result at Gosford on the cards tonight?...

[img=400x329]http://www.whaledive.net/assets/other/manlyknights100807a.jpg[/img]

:)

Manly can win, but can't post big scores without BS.

I can still remember one of Stewarts tries that night, the pace was freakish and he left them for dead. The other memorable one that night was big Jack Afamasaga running 50m to score. Think that was the game Beaver knocked over his goal as well

Telegraph reports Gidley is OUT and whatshisface is coming in...
Not prepared to gamble on pain needles again and wants the ribs to heal apparently.  No excuses for us now

Interesting as to what type of crowd they get up there tonight.  Surely we can beat this mob altough I am sure it will be a tough game

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4