Manly youngsters to debut in 2018

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Who from the GF winning Manly side will get a run in 2018 ??
It seems Tom Wright, Paseka and Fainu are high in Barrett and the selectors eyes.
I feel Wright is a chance of getting a centre spot and Paseka, Fainu will have claims for a bench spot at some stage in 2018.
The outside backs Jade Anderson and Funa are also quality, with Anderson a flyer and Funa classy with goalkicking ability, but more likely these 2 will get a shot in 2019.
The best potential imo, is the massive lock - Olakautu, who is a Natural footy player, similar to an early day Feleti Mateo with more grunt - more everything.
Maybe others you can think of or feel are a show?
Regardless of who gets a gig, exciting times with so much talent at one time on the cusp of taking that Massive NRL opportunity.....at Manly.

Depends on injuries and who makes origin. Although I almost certain Wright will get a run and I know he isnt from the under 20s manly side but Luke Metcalf will get a run also.

Tom Wright , Fainu , Olakautu , Anderson and Paseka have definitely got i st grade material written all over them if they can reach their full potential and it would not surprise me if they eventually all are regulars in future Manly top grade sides . The 20 's centres Funa and Kioa could also prove up to the the mark and the club would not have invested in Metcalfe if they did not rate his future i st grade prospects with Manly . May take a little time for all to get to required i st grade level for Manly but no doubt the best group of youngsters to emerge since the highly rated 20 's Manly side of 2009.

Gotta say im not feeling the tom wright lovefest just yet. Sure he has some highlights and his gf was golden but his lowlight package is still way to large to offset his magic moments
Not saying he wont be a champ but i just dont see him being up to scratch yet. He looks confident and id give him a run to dent that a bit, hoping he goes away, realises where he is at, works hard and comes back better prepared. If not i say 2019 unless we get hammered by injury. Nothing like a reality check to see if the kid has what it takes mentally.

No way he takes walker,kelly, parker, m wright, tafua or uates spot any time soon

Tom Wright , Fainu , Olakautu , Anderson and Paseka have definitely got i st grade material written all over them if they can reach their full potential and it would not surprise me if they eventually all are regulars in future Manly top grade sides . The 20 's centres Funa and Kioa could also prove up to the the mark and the club would not have invested in Metcalfe if they did not rate his future i st grade prospects with Manly . May take a little time for all to get to required i st grade level for Manly but no doubt the best group of youngsters to emerge since the highly rated 20 's Manly side of 2009.
Good call on that other centre Kioa Al....seems a powerhouse Hurrell type, but likes to get involved a bit more, takes plenty of stopping.

Unless there is an injury crisis none outside Wright and Paseka will get a start. Those two are in the top squad the others mentioned are on development contracts. That means unless there are injuries to the top 30, which then leaves Baz no other options in their specific position then only by dispenasation from the NRL can they play. Hopefully we don’t have an injury crisis and even if we do when have the NRL done us any favours?

• 📚
Reactions: Ben
Surprised nobody has mentioned Cust.
Apart from that semi (v Sharks?) where Wright dominated everything, Cust was always (of the handful of games I caught anyway) the more dominant and natural half.
I have a big opinion of Cade, hopefully he kicks on. Tom Wright won't be a half in firsts. He's a Jack Bird/Cartwright type player.
Maybe the club don't feel the same way given they purchased Metcalf & Croker.

Those two are in the top squad

How do we know that ?? Have the club released details of the top 30 ?

Given that Origin this year is structured differently the representative scene may only affect us for one week I think. So it seems that some of these young guys may get a chance in that round as we may lose Turbos x 2, and The Phantom to Origin, so we will be looking for a couple of backs. However at full strength I think Matt Wright covers fullback and Parker covers centre so unless we hit injury trouble we have plenty of more experienced campaigners to provide depth. The only spot we might be skinny is hooker, so Fainu an outside chance to get a run - Hastings or Brown more likely though one would think.

Unless there is an injury crisis none outside Wright and Paseka will get a start. Those two are in the top squad the others mentioned are on development contracts. That means unless there are injuries to the top 30, which then leaves Baz no other options in their specific position then only by dispenasation from the NRL can they play. Hopefully we don’t have an injury crisis and even if we do when have the NRL done us any favours?
I think you will find Fainu also a part of the squad and rated pretty highly....with Wright and paseka.
Not like Api is in danger, the blokes in the top few dummy halves in the NRL, but I think Fainu will be close to a bench spot at some stage in 2018 and could add a zesty 20 minutes in that role if the given the opportunity.
The others - Anderson, Funa and Okalauka as stated, are more a 2018 proposition....but you can never be sure.

Though Paseka missed the GF through injury but he will play first grade this year if fit at some stage. Wright probably next most likely

Its great we have all these young guns to chose from. Will be great for a few to stand up and shine. They all have to do it at some time if they are gunna make it, so why not now!!!!!!
Im feeling more and more optimistic about the upcoming season, I just wish the Salary Cap Cr@p would be done and dusted and not hanging over our heads.
How bloody long is this offseason?

Surprised nobody has mentioned Cust.
Apart from that semi (v Sharks?) where Wright dominated everything, Cust was always (of the handful of games I caught anyway) the more dominant and natural half.
I have a big opinion of Cade, hopefully he kicks on. Tom Wright won't be a half in firsts. He's a Jack Bird/Cartwright type player.
Maybe the club don't feel the same way given they purchased Metcalf & Croker.

Agree, Cust was the one that impressed me ... to me he seems a bit like DCE, not as naturally gifted as some, but has made up for it by hard work and practice.

Does any one know his status?

I think you will find Fainu also a part of the squad and rated pretty highly....with Wright and paseka.
Not like Api is in danger, the blokes in the top few dummy halves in the NRL, but I think Fainu will be close to a bench spot at some stage in 2018 and could add a zesty 20 minutes in that role if the given the opportunity.
The others - Anderson, Funa and Okalauka as stated, are more a 2018 proposition....but you can never be sure.
Not from the information I was told from someone at the club. They mentioned Anderson, Funa, Fainu, Haumole, Metcalfe and Titmus as all being on development contracts. Makes sense considering all are still eligible for 20s.

We often get fixated with the best 17 but in fact there may end up being close to 30 players used. If a club gets away with using in low 20's they will go close to winning the premiership.
What we need to look at is the 10 players outside the the top 17.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8