Marty Taupau's Position

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't think if he starts or from the bench matters. He will play 40 to 60 mins a game in the middle. I see him starting but, wearing 13 and getting a rest in the last 10 to 20 mins a half when Buhrer or symonds takes the field to run into fatigued holes.

I see Taupau as almost a roving forward, my brief to him would be 'get out there and cause chaos'. And to me that means get stuck up the middle when needed, but also get out wide occasionally and trample some small backs. I'd actually be inclined to have him on the bench and then 15mins in when teams are starting to wear down you have Marty run over the top of them. Myles has to start, he is the epitome,of 'roll your sleeves up and go tit for tat in the middle'

I see Marty playing a similar role and a direct replacement for choc.
Setting the tone in the middle, as well as hitting the edges with the ball.

I agree with this! 13 on his back or 12, doesn't matter. See him as a middle forward and will put his hand up when we need to gain meters up the middle but will run wide as well trying to isolate a smaller player. Similar to a cordner except instead of hitting a hole Big marty will just run over the top of the defender

I see Marty playing a similar role and a direct replacement for choc.
Setting the tone in the middle, as well as hitting the edges with the ball.
Similar to choc ?hope so but doubt it .theres only one choc watmough!

He can play cards out there if he wants , as long as he is not dealing when watmaugh hits it up .

I'll be shocked if Symonds is in our best 17. Zero punch
I was a big fan of Symonds there at one stage, but he has developed this habit of cutting back infield off his right foot and I just wish he would run straight and hard lines. He has quite a good left arm fend that he could use to get outside defenders but he hardly uses it. He plays a little too nice for my liking.

I see Taupau as almost a roving forward, my brief to him would be 'get out there and cause chaos'. And to me that means get stuck up the middle when needed, but also get out wide occasionally and trample some small backs. I'd actually be inclined to have him on the bench and then 15mins in when teams are starting to wear down you have Marty run over the top of them. Myles has to start, he is the epitome,of 'roll your sleeves up and go tit for tat in the middle'
Agree
When we are struggling i want him hitting it up the middle, when we are rolling down field i want him punching holes in opposition defenses.

I was a big fan of Symonds there at one stage, but he has developed this habit of cutting back infield off his right foot and I just wish he would run straight and hard lines. He has quite a good left arm fend that he could use to get outside defenders but he hardly uses it. He plays a little too nice for my liking.
Yes, I have been a fan in the past too, but have seen little to inspire confidence, between the Nine's and the trial. Hits the line and goes straight down every time. Interesting comment that he is a little too 'nice'. It kind of makes sense, since he is in every promotion, in every photo of the team out eating together, etc. seems like the ubiquitous team player and I think he is a genuine nice guy, but that don't always work in footy. Apart from the Beaver, anyway...

I'd play Kapow on the left fringe. If he is running angles back inside Walker then that works on two fronts,
* gives him a shot one on one against defenders
* also holds up the slide as a decoy to give Walker that little bit of space he needs to make use of his pace

I don't see the value of using him as a battering ram through the middle, we've got better suited bodies for that

To say you want Marty as either an edge runner or powerhouse in the middle is a little restrictive for me. There will be games where we will need his grunt in the middle helping out (potentially against bigger packs like the dogs), and there will also be games where his edge-running will be utilised far more.

From what I have seen of Marty, he can do both. He has scored a nice mix of powerful efforts dragging multiple defenders over the line, and others where he ghosts through on a line untouched. As well as the hard running and fending no matter where he is on the field.

I would play him at 13 because that role allows him to contribute in either way as he or Baz see's fit.

Play him at 8/10, he may feel like he can't get wide enough to do any damage, play him at 11/12 he may feel isolated and ineffective if it's a slog in the middle.

He can do both facets of the game, why wouldn't you put him in a position that would allow him to do both and look to restrict him to one job?

Must confess - as much as Kapow will create havoc with that massive Duke - especially on the LEFT edge - there is a bigger picture.
The initial reaction when he signed for mine was "Well there is that mongrel we have been lacking, won't be bullied in 2016"
Myles adds toughness & experience in the middle but Kapow adds intimidation...to not see him dominate that middle as the enforcer would be a massive waste & I'm sure opposition tough guys would relish the thought of him playing wider so they can avoid him....but personally doubt Barrett will have him hidden from the tough stuff when the game is on the line.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Yes, I have been a fan in the past too, but have seen little to inspire confidence, between the Nine's and the trial. Hits the line and goes straight down every time. Interesting comment that he is a little too 'nice'. It kind of makes sense, since he is in every promotion, in every photo of the team out eating together, etc. seems like the ubiquitous team player and I think he is a genuine nice guy, but that don't always work in footy. Apart from the Beaver, anyway...
He is the new Willo.

Yes, except Willo was the workman in defence that held that pack together...I worry that if T Red isn't breaking the line, he won't be bringing much else to the table.
He is capable of some ordinary reads in D as well. I think Knight should be blooded ahead of this guy...

The irony is this (battering ram) is what he does best...that's his game...battering ram.
Can't agree with that. He is a good hole runner (doesn't fear the contact), has a great fend and pretty handy footwork at the line. Sure he can tuck it under the arm and do a Martin Lang, but it's a waste of his other talents IMO.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2