Marty Taupau's Position

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Can't agree with that. He is a good hole runner (doesn't fear the contact), has a great fend and pretty handy footwork at the line. Sure he can tuck it under the arm and do a Martin Lang, but it's a waste of his other talents IMO.
What about defence?

Lock. Mainly in the middle ripping in for big hit-up metres, dragging 3 players and powering to his feet for a quick play-the-balls. This will lead to receiving penalties later in the game and giving Parcell opportunities to dart from dummy half and create absolute havok against retreating tired forwards. The odd run slightly to the left side is still welcome, however Buhrer/Brown, are more suited to playing to the edges and linking up with the backs.

Imo....

What about defence?
Can't comment on his defence as I haven't seen his youtube defence highlights video ;)

Defence is about attitude and holding structure as a group. Are you asking whether his is better suited to defending the middle third or edge ?? I'd say he is more a middle defender from what I've seen

Lock is part of the backrow isn't it? Barrett says he won't be spending much time there. That was my take anyways, and Taupau at prop allows us to carry both Brown and Buhrer. Fully fit, both these players are amazing (Buhrer probably the better - but I'm grossly biased, and proud of it !! hahahaha), so there would be no chance either of these two play NSW Cup.

Can't agree with that. He is a good hole runner (doesn't fear the contact), has a great fend and pretty handy footwork at the line. Sure he can tuck it under the arm and do a Martin Lang, but it's a waste of his other talents IMO.
I suppose it comes down to what constitutes a battering ram. I don't think it necessarily means you have to stick to running straight and hard with no variation in your game. I more or less think of it as a player who's primary purpose is to get down and dirty in the middle, rather than provide the finesse on the edges.

Agree to disagree, but I see this guy as more of a Sam Burgess, JWH clone, than say a Boyd Cordner or Kevin Proctor; the latter who play effectively on the edge with footwork and good lines. Sure, i've seen Taupau run a hole and use his footwork, but the most devastating plays on his highlights reel over the last couple of years are when he steamrolls some poor defender, carries/fends off another couple of defenders for 5-10 metres and/or pops an offload at the end of it all.

Last edited:
Lock is part of the backrow isn't it? Barrett says he won't be spending much time there. That was my take anyways, and Taupau at prop allows us to carry both Brown and Buhrer. Fully fit, both these players are amazing (Buhrer probably the better - but I'm grossly biased, and proud of it !! hahahaha), so there would be no chance either of these two play NSW Cup.
Technically lock is part of the backrow, but I think Barrett was more or less talking about playing on an edge...that does't necessarily mean he won't wear 13 and play in the middle like most locks these days.

I suppose it comes down to what constitutes a battering ram. I don't think it necessarily means you have to stick to running straight and hard with no variation in your game. I more or less think of it as a player who's primary purpose is to get down and dirty in the middle, rather than provide the finesse on the edges.

Agree to disagree, but I see this guy as more of a Sam Burgess, JWH clone, than say a Boyd Cordner or Kevin Proctor; the latter who play effectively on the edge with footwork and good lines. Sure, i've seen Taupau run a hole and use his footwork, but the most devastating plays on his highlights reel over the last couple of years are when he steamrolls some poor defender, carries/fends off another couple of defenders for 5-10 metres and/or pops an offload at the end of it all.
Look I'm sure he could handle either role, so you're right. I just think we have Nate, Jake, Darcy, BJ, Starlo, Burgess and probably Mateo, to handle the middle. We don't have a hard running edge forward. Buhrer, Brown, T-Red and Leary don't really have the potential impact that Kapow can offer.

Anyway it's an interesting one, let's wait and see what Baz does. Might give a shot at both roles at various times during the game depending on bench makeup and game situation

Keep in mind Kapow has quick feet allowing him to still change his angles , even in that middle third....the thing is, he is an aggressive beast of a footballer who should have free reign to play hard & direct, testing the defence in all area's - rarely dominated so its likely he is best to simply get involved & mixing it up & testing defence through the ruck & on the edges....pop it in traffic, or win the play ball after bending the line.

Look I'm sure he could handle either role, so you're right. I just think we have Nate, Jake, Darcy, BJ, Starlo, Burgess and probably Mateo, to handle the middle. We don't have a hard running edge forward. Buhrer, Brown, T-Red and Leary don't really have the potential impact that Kapow can offer.

Anyway it's an interesting one, let's wait and see what Baz does. Might give a shot at both roles at various times during the game depending on bench makeup and game situation
Interested in your opinion concerning the backrow...who are your starters/bench, and who misses out? I'm glad I'm not Trent Barrett!

Can we just line him up against the sowards and keatings each week wherever they defend in their representive teams?
We should do up a list of each teams worst defender and plan to play him opporsite them each week.

Interested in your opinion concerning the backrow...who are your starters/bench, and who misses out? I'm glad I'm not Trent Barrett!
Yes it's a tough one. It really depends on what roles Barrett wants everyone to play, but we have some bigger guys capable of playing middle as either FRF or 2RF, like Nate, Lussick, BJ and probably Kapow. Our true backrowers are all smaller units and are more suited to the edges, i.e. Ferris, Brown, Leary and T-Red. Mateo is the only exception there, he can operate in and around the ruck effectively.

Forgetting injuries for the time being I'd go with following, assuming an edge forward on each side

Jake and Nate - Starting FR
Ferris - Right edge
Feleti - middle / left fringe as required
Kapow - left edge in attacking zone / middle as required working out of end zone or rolling down field - him and Feleti roving that left ruck fringe and wider edge.

BJ - Bench prop
Starlo / Lussick - Bench prop on form
Brown / T-Red - back row / utility - take your pick, I'm not a massive Lewis Brown fan but he is an international and I can see his value - mainly rotation with Kapow and Feleti on LHS - but either can cover RHS if Ferris has issues.
Last bench spot - not sure if we are going to run the two hooker play with Api and Parcell or not. If we do then obviously one of them get the gig, if not then you go with the extra middle forward/prop in whoever misses out between Starlo and Darcy above.

I'd expect Buhrer to play long minutes, and also to get decent stints out of Jake and Nate. I think both Feleti and Kapow would benefit with some rotation through the bench as it suits their style to have a breather and concentrate on impact rather than number crunching tackle counts and grinding metres.

One other advantage we have is that Skivvy and Horhay can be up there with the best in the business when it comes to rucking it out of our end on kick returns. So we get that extra leg up there when in the grind.

Burgess / Vave can pressure for a FRF spot. I feel Leary is a bit stiff to miss out as I liked a lot of what he did last year. Good tight defender, also good at poking through the line and has a good quick play the ball which gets our roll on. Personally I'd pick him to cover Ferris on the right edge for the first few weeks. Then there are some good young guys in Knight, Armstrong, Green, Kelly etc.

If everyone plays to potential than we have a pretty decent pack and some good depth. Obviously our 1-7 is pretty well set in stone, so the 8-17 is where the interest lays for Round 1. Can't wait to see what Baz has in mind.

Can we just line him up against the sowards and keatings each week wherever they defend in their representive teams?
We should do up a list of each teams worst defender and plan to play him opporsite them each week.

I think I said it in the All Star Game thread. At one point on Saturday night Soward had a perfect opportunity to run, create an overlap and a possible try.....but he looked up at who the potential tackler was in front of him and decided he didn't want any part of it and passed too early rather than take him on.

It was Marty.

Yes it's a tough one. It really depends on what roles Barrett wants everyone to play, but we have some bigger guys capable of playing middle as either FRF or 2RF, like Nate, Lussick, BJ and probably Kapow. Our true backrowers are all smaller units and are more suited to the edges, i.e. Ferris, Brown, Leary and T-Red. Mateo is the only exception there, he can operate in and around the ruck effectively.

Forgetting injuries for the time being I'd go with following, assuming an edge forward on each side

Jake and Nate - Starting FR
Ferris - Right edge
Feleti - middle / left fringe as required
Kapow - left edge in attacking zone / middle as required working out of end zone or rolling down field - him and Feleti roving that left ruck fringe and wider edge.

BJ - Bench prop
Starlo / Lussick - Bench prop on form
Brown / T-Red - back row / utility - take your pick, I'm not a massive Lewis Brown fan but he is an international and I can see his value - mainly rotation with Kapow and Feleti on LHS - but either can cover RHS if Ferris has issues.
Last bench spot - not sure if we are going to run the two hooker play with Api and Parcell or not. If we do then obviously one of them get the gig, if not then you go with the extra middle forward/prop in whoever misses out between Starlo and Darcy above.

I'd expect Buhrer to play long minutes, and also to get decent stints out of Jake and Nate. I think both Feleti and Kapow would benefit with some rotation through the bench as it suits their style to have a breather and concentrate on impact rather than number crunching tackle counts and grinding metres.

One other advantage we have is that Skivvy and Horhay can be up there with the best in the business when it comes to rucking it out of our end on kick returns. So we get that extra leg up there when in the grind.

Burgess / Vave can pressure for a FRF spot. I feel Leary is a bit stiff to miss out as I liked a lot of what he did last year. Good tight defender, also good at poking through the line and has a good quick play the ball which gets our roll on. Personally I'd pick him to cover Ferris on the right edge for the first few weeks. Then there are some good young guys in Knight, Armstrong, Green, Kelly etc.

If everyone plays to potential than we have a pretty decent pack and some good depth. Obviously our 1-7 is pretty well set in stone, so the 8-17 is where the interest lays for Round 1. Can't wait to see what Baz has in mind.

Hard to argue with any of that.
At full strength, I would like to see the following:

Myles
Koroisau
Taupau
Buhrer - Right edge - 80 minutes
Mateo - Left edge
Jake T - 80 minutes

Bench
Brown - on for Mateo
Lawrence
Lussick
Parcell

If one of the props goes down, i'd like to see Knight bought in. I don't think we can afford to carry Buhrer, Brown and Leary in the same side so Leary misses out. Tom Symonds needs to really lift if he wants a spot down the line.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2