Matty Ballin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm not a fan of bringing two newbies (Hodges/JLJ) in unless we intend on using this weekend to give them a trial run each with a view to making a decision for the finals. However there is too much at stake with the MP on offer to be getting too cutesy with team selections this week. We want to finish first so we don't have to face Roosters or Souths week 1 of finals. Just run with Hodges and let's get on with it.

We can cover JB with either Horo or Lui starting in backrow, assuming we stick with T-Red at lock. That'll leave bench as King, Hasson, JSL and Horo/Lui. There's enough experience there to do the job.

I would let Tooves do what he thinks is best.

I'm a nuffie who wouldn't know his arse from his elbow when it came to devising a winning plan.

It's tragic news, but we all know what happens when Manly face adversity. I'd be nervous if I was coaching any of the other sides.

Don't poke the eagle.

Unfortunately we have lost two of our biggest work-a-holics in Ballin and Buhrer.
I haven't watched any NSW Cup this year, so I cannot comment on the form of Hodges or Iosefa.
However, I remember watching Iosefa a few years ago when he played for Penrith and I thought he looked promising. He was aggressive and fairly robust for a hooker.
Based on that, I would start Iosefa in the 9, move Hodges onto the bench and drop Hasson out.
I would use Iosefa in the early exchanges until the sting went out of the game and then I would bring Hodges on to calve up the tiring opposition forwards.
I personally think that 80 minutes of NRL semi-final football would be too much of an ask for any unseasoned player, let alone a bloke who has to play in the middle for the full game.

Just had a search for some stats on Hodges and from his Manly profile he had the best defensive stats in the under 20s last year, and coming 4th in most tackles in the NSW cup for this year.

Have not seen him play except for his cameo earlier this year but going off of those stats I am feeling a lot more comfortable if he gets selected.

Probably would be playing in front of a few friends and family which could lift him a bit more too..

A

rifraff said:
Just had a search for some stats on Hodges and from his Manly profile he had the best defensive stats in the under 20s last year, and coming 4th in most tackles in the NSW cup for this year.

Have not seen him play except for his cameo earlier this year but going off of those stats I am feeling a lot more comfortable if he gets selected.

Probably would be playing in front of a few friends and family which could lift him a bit more too..

A

Good news. Also good that he has had a full season in NSW cup against men, rather than against kids in holden cup

Also with those stats, it means he plays a lot of minutes.
Either that, or he's really, really, fast.
Either way, it's good.

Dan said:
Its more about who is going t make all matty's tackles now.

I would consider someone like Gutho as an option next week, trial him and Jaydan

Very true. Balin makes 40-50 tackles every week. Who is going to do that now?

Big hole with Balin and Buhrer gone

RiverEagle said:
bones said:
The only option in my opinion is to bring in someone to play hooker. I don't want Foran, DCE, Lyon etc moved. Leave them in their best positions. Either Hodges or Littlejohn at hooker for mine.

This for mine, too.

Start Hodges (he'll have an extra point to prove against his old club).

And bring JLJ (or Tyson Andrews) into the 17 and just do the best we can.

That tat is unreal. keep saying I'll do it after every grand final...:dodgy:

Just to clarify my view (after just reading all posts) I'd start Hodges. Horo slots back in (we need a big 80minutes from him, esp in D). Everyone else, if fit, stay put.

Use Lui on the bench for maximum impact bursts, along with JSL and King.

My only minor change if I could...Andrews in 17 ahead of Hasson (Tyson offers far more aggro from the front or 2nd-row) Or frankly even JLJ in 17 (over Hasson).

That's a toss of a coin thing regarding Hasson or JLJ. But have been disappointed by Hasson's lack of energy and sloppy-hands.

Whatever 2V does settle on it's out of our hands and all we can do is back our boys, and hope like hell for the best!

Won't be easy; but after watching the Cows struggle to beat a 2nd-string Sharks at home,
I'm far from disliking our chances for the MP, and beyond.

Re: Jayden Hodges: People need to remember he's played a few (2 or 3 I think) for The Cowboys, and he accounted for himself very well there. I recall JT suggesting he was a real talent after one of the games.

He won't be a passenger - put it that way. This is his time.

I remember when Ballin made his debut for us against The Tigers in the pouring rain. People were very wary. I reckon Jayden's pace / speed around the ruck may add a different dimension to our club.

Ballin and Buhrer's work rate defensively is what I worry about though.

The big plus for Jayden would be to return as a player in the Team leading the competition.

His Family will be so proud and it should lift him to Manly heights :angel:

Ryan said:
Re: Jayden Hodges: People need to remember he's played a few (2 or 3 I think) for The Cowboys, and he accounted for himself very well there. I recall JT suggesting he was a real talent after one of the games.

He won't be a passenger - put it that way. This is his time.

I remember when Ballin made his debut for us against The Tigers in the pouring rain. People were very wary. I reckon Jayden's pace / speed around the ruck may add a different dimension to our club.

I'm pretty sure Hodges played in last years semi final (off the bench) against the Sharks, as I remember watching a bit of him before our game against the Rorters. That's some big game experience, so i don't think he will be a deer in the headlights

My two favourite players busted in the same game- bugger!

I'm sure their replacements will stand up and be counted

Ryan said:

Yes. Our other forwards are going to have to do more tackling. Last match T-Red was up with Choc in the defensive stats - as well as scoring two tries - so he stepped up in the absence of Matt.
I'm sure our players know the importance of winning this match and avoiding Easts and Souffs in the first semi-final. I think we'll be switched on. Plus the fact that most of the experts are tipping us to lose, and most other opposition supporters death-riding us; against the odds, that's when we are at our most dangerous.

WAMF said:
Crap news.
Here's what I would do.
Foran to hooker, Lyon to 5/8, play a running back rower in the centres (Symonds) and let DCE run both sides.

z205649641_answer_2_xlarge.jpg

It's a big game, but Hodges should be given a go, if he fails nothing is lost ( well maybe the MP) and we can revert to Plan B for Semi game 1.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7