Matty Ballin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
ssar said:
driftout said:
This is a disaster. Unbelievable to lose both dummy halves in one match to season ending injuries. It's so important to have that defensive stability and experience in midfield that Ballin provides. Hodges doesn't look physically ready. I wonder whether Masada Iosefa has improved his defence since coming to Manly? I don't think we can win the title now.

You know, I got a bad sense of dread and disappointment at this news - without Matty, sadly, our chances of lifting and firing well across the park through the Finals to this year's GF victory have just been dealt a big blow.

Until now I've genuinely had faith in our team that we would and could take it all the way this year, even after our past month's ordinary performances.

We can still do it, but it's gonna take an even bigger effort and better successful on-field plays from all the boys in the finals.

Matty- sad to see you unable to play from injury for the 1st time in 7 years (I think I read?), you're an absolute champion for the Maroon and White!

What about Hiku - he played hooker?
Hiku's defence is terrible on the wing - no way he can defend at 9.

Harrison? He has a least some first grade experience and is a good worker/defender, has a bit of ball skill. I reckon he could help plug the middle for a while, and throw a couple of dummy half passes.

I hope!

(and I reckon he's a better defender than Littlejohn, at least from the bits I've seen)

HoldenV8 said:
People people.....its not the end of the world. Yes we've lost Matty, and the main back up in Jamie.....but its not doom and gloom.

I seem to remember several years ago this bloke, small of stature but big on talent, came into a side full to the brim with champion players and there were fears he wasn't up to it, that he was too small. Questions were asked "Where can we hide this bloke in defence?" Then one of his new team mates jumped up and said "Hang on a second, this bloke is one of us, he was good enough to get picked and he'll do the job". That player was right, and that little bloke went on to become one of the games great players.

The little bloke? Allan Langer. The team? Qld Origin 1987. The player coming to his defence? Fatty.

Hodges may not turn out to be another Alfie, but Manly have obviously seen enough in him to sign him for 3 years. The club may not have intended him to be in first grade so soon, but he'll do the job.

They said the same about Tooves when he debuted (I think against Great Britain in '88) ! He went alright against each and every bigger man in front of him.

Only just hearing this confirmation on Matty, and agree it's bad luck, bad timing, and twice as bad because we've lost Ferris too.

Hodges will lift and whilst he's not Matt, going up against his old club NQ up there should motivate him even more!

All we can do is run with the cards dealt and the blokes we've got. And Tooves and co. will get the maximum they can from whomever runs on.

Things have become tougher no doubt, but we're Manly!

Never give up or write us off 'til the fat-lady sings y'all.

Crap news.
Here's what I would do.
Foran to hooker, Lyon to 5/8, play a running back rower in the centres (Symonds) and let DCE run both sides.

WAMF said:
Crap news.
Here's what I would do.
Foran to hooker, Lyon to 5/8, play a running back rower in the centres (Symonds) and let DCE run both sides.

no!

bones said:
The only option in my opinion is to bring in someone to play hooker. I don't want Foran, DCE, Lyon etc moved. Leave them in their best positions. Either Hodges or Littlejohn at hooker for mine.

Yes!

bones said:
The only option in my opinion is to bring in someone to play hooker. I don't want Foran, DCE, Lyon etc moved. Leave them in their best positions. Either Hodges or Littlejohn at hooker for mine.

Agree 100% with that
Even with possibility of having both playing
Hodges to start
Little john on the bench

Whatever the coach goes with I will support

davohan123 said:
bones said:

Agree 100% with that
Even with possibility of having both playing
Hodges to start
Little john on the bench

Whatever the coach goes with I will support

Except for moving Foran, DCE, Lyon etc

What has happened to the 'Riff player (Docker, I believe) who caused Matt's injury with a late tackle?
How did the video ref not pick this up? Every time a player is hurt, or feigns injury, there is a review and invariable it leads to the offender being placed on report.

This season is just too close to be trying a risky replacements / shuffle around formula. Not 2V's style anyway. Go with Hodges but Foran will have to do more defence, which will take away from his attack - which has been stunningly good lately. We are in trouble.

Matty B I salute you.

bones said:

This for mine, too.

Start Hodges (he'll have an extra point to prove against his old club).

And bring JLJ (or Tyson Andrews) into the 17 and just do the best we can.

Bradza said:
Jack Littlejohn could come onto the bench as utility back up and give Jayden a rest if needed.

Definite possibility. Has had enough of a run that you get an idea of his ability to cope and is a decent sized bloke. I would be betting that he has already been training there this week along witha few other options

So sad to hear this news, not even a broken leg can stop you...
MattyB wishing you a v quick recovery.

As a member, i'd like to thank you so much for continuing to represent our club so strongly and passionately over all these years.

That interview confirms what i thought to be true - you are not only an incredible footy player and a great clubsman but also a geniune all round decent bloke. I can't tell you how much i appreciate your comments in that interview about the pride you have playing for our great club. So refreshing after some of the press us fans have been subjected to lately. dead set legend MattyB!! A few other "senior" players should take a leaf from your book

oh and I'd like to wish Hodges all the very best! time to shine

bones said:

I do agree but too much pressure on Littlejohn.
We won a premiership with Lyon in the no.6
Put Littlejohn on the bench so that both your and my options become possibilities.

I don't see DCE or Foz going into dummy half.

After Ferris went off on Sunday we didn't seem to have anybody playing the specific dummy half role .

Central Coast Eagle said:
I don't see DCE or Foz going into dummy half.

After Ferris went off on Sunday we didn't seem to have anybody playing the specific dummy half role .

I wondered that too, i watched the last 10 minutes again it seems like Horo got in there a few times.

Sorry but I wouldn't be playing anyone out of position at this stage of the year. Round 2 maybe, but not round 26 the week out from the finals. Leave Killer at centre, Foz at 5/8 and DCE at half. Bring Hodges in to play hooker.

Why can't Hodges play 80 minutes? Why does he need a backup like JLJ on the bench? I'd play one or the other at Hooker and have 4 forwards on the bench.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2