Matty Ballin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What an opportunity for Jayden an he gets a chance to stake a claim and say he is up for it against his old club. He just needs to concentrate on the basics, good clean ball to the halves, tackle hard and take a run if something is on.

Its more about who is going t make all matty's tackles now.

I would consider someone like Gutho as an option next week, trial him and Jaydan

He might have to play 80 minutes. He does that by trying to pace himself and concentrate on good service first before running and taking every single half opportunity. I say throw the challenge at him in the last home and away game. Perfect opportunity to see if he is up to it. We have a smaller pack already so losing someone out of the 4 man forward rotation to give a hooker a spell isn't IMO.

driftout said:
This is a disaster. Unbelievable to lose both dummy halves in one match to season ending injuries. It's so important to have that defensive stability and experience in midfield that Ballin provides. Hodges doesn't look physically ready. I wonder whether Masada Iosefa has improved his defence since coming to Manly? I don't think we can win the title now.

You know, I got a bad sense of dread and disappointment at this news - without Matty, sadly, our chances of lifting and firing well across the park through the Finals to this year's GF victory have just been dealt a big blow.

Until now I've genuinely had faith in our team that we would and could take it all the way this year, even after our past month's ordinary performances.

We can still do it, but it's gonna take an even bigger effort and better successful on-field plays from all the boys in the finals.

Matty- sad to see you unable to play from injury for the 1st time in 7 years (I think I read?), you're an absolute champion for the Maroon and White!

What about Hiku - he played hooker?

That sux.

Is going to be a massive hurdle to overcome without him and Jamie. We have been leaky up the middle the last month, I fear that the dam may burst without Matty.

Hiku doesn't have the defensive ability at this stage of his career to defend in the middle of the park...way too much arm grabbing and he's been giving a bath recently by James Roberts and Josh Mansour. Warren Ryan would have banished him to the sand pit for tackiing practice with Michael Pobjie.

Stuff this, I say. All this is is another challenge that we have to overcome to write ourselves in as 2014 premiers. Bring young Jaden in and tell him to go his hardest without fear of stuffing up.

I have lost count of the number of debutants against us over the years who have had a blinder and contributed to our defeat. Even that Penrith bloke on the weekend went all right. He was their third choice hooker I thought.

Everyone has to debut sometime. Looks like Hodges' turn. Let's just get on with it.

Was pretty devastated when I first saw the news, but seeing the interview in which he said he loves playing for Manly no less than three times, made me feel good again. After all the carry on from others about testing the waters with other clubs, wanting upgrades etc., this was exactly what we needed to hear.
http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2014/09/02/injury_update_bad_news_for_ballin.html
Next thing we need to hear: Saturday night, just after 9pm, and the Man of the Match is ... J. Hodges!

What a shame, Matty again has been so solid this season.

We will miss his defence in particular, but as the old saying goes, when one door closes another one opens, its Jayden Hodges time!!

Hodges has to come in, and we have to live and die by the decision; nothing ventured, nothing gained. Ballin himself has stated that he hopes to be back for "games" at the back end of the finals series, so if we make the preliminary final, I think he is a chance. Also, I know back rowers are easier to replace than hookers, but Gifty missed the entire 2011 finals campaign, only to return and win the Churchill medal on GF day. All is not lost my friends!

It's just another opportunity for Manly to show the character we know they have always possessed.

Snake said:
Hodges has to come in, and we have to live and die by the decision; nothing ventured, nothing gained. Ballin himself has stated that he hopes to be back for "games" at the back end of the finals series, so if we make the preliminary final, I think he is a chance. Also, I know back rowers are easier to replace than hookers, but Gifty missed the entire 2011 finals campaign, only to return and win the Churchill medal on GF day. All is not lost my friends!

It's just another opportunity for Manly to show the character we know they have always possessed.
he,ll have a point to prove too Snake

Have faith in the kid. Look at the good job the under 20s penrith hooker did against us on Sunday. Jayden can do it too.

Beat me to it merdy!

On the weekend that Rorters and Manly lose their hookers long term, the pride of the league Rabbits Luke gets off at the judiciary. What a f...... joke!!

It'a a pity Liam Foran isn't around...I always thought he was a hooker playing in the backline. A very solid defender with a good left foot kicking game out of dummy half.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2