Message from Warringah Mayor

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Mayor told @ManlyArmy ..

"I would welcome the offer of the Sea Eagles doing the grass maintanence and paying 220k for the lease of the facilities but that offer hasn't been made in writing. It has appeared in the media but not in any formal negotiations. ...

.... Joe Kelly knows my number but hasn't called or even emailed. Instead he threatened staff that he would start a media war if he didn't get his way....

.... the State Government has advised that under the terms of the current merger process, a Council can not encumber a new proposed Council with substantial changes to existing assets or licences - i.e this years licence needs to be on the same terms as in previous years.

As for the misleading claim by the Sea Eagles that other sporting groups are only charged $1000 this is simply not true - our fees and charges are easy to find and open to the public to view."

Kelly should tell members immediately whether the above comments are true or not. We have all been asked to support a public campaign based on certain information, which is now specifically disputed.

Joe..??

The Mayor's message in Saturday's MD covered the key point re: what financial arrangements Council can enter into when they're in a state of flux like the current one, courtesy of Baird's local government boundary changes. That should have ended all the Council-bashing here.

And yet so many posters were prepared to swallow the Penkelzorko propaganda. Despite the dichotomy of Kelly on the one hand saying he is talking to Council about a new stand, and at the same time ZtH attacking Council in his column, over ground maintenance!

The Mayor's message in Saturday's MD covered the key point re: what financial arrangements Council can enter into when they're in a state of flux like the current one, courtesy of Baird's local government boundary changes. That should have ended all the Council-bashing here.

And yet so many posters were prepared to swallow the Penkelzorko propaganda. Despite the dichotomy of Kelly on the one hand saying he is talking to Council about a new stand, and at the same time ZtH attacking Council in his column, over ground maintenance!
A budget is a fixed amount yes, but once you enter the year of the budget you set you can shift money around WITHIN the budget. It just goes to show the council is banking on the gouge to prop up some other area.

I don't know why they just don't do another deal with a shonky property developer to dump a massive block on units in an already over-developed Brookvale street to make up the difference.

PS Thanks for that insight councillor Zarsoff ;)

The Sea Eagles are a business, of course they want to make money by moving games, of course they want a cheaper lease. So they should ask and negotiate it....yeah they made 17mil last year, and would have paid a whole lot of tax on that too.
I say good on them, success on the field will make the most money, for these guys to be pushing for things like this is good signs. (I believe anyway)

Can't help feeling the real battle is occurring on a level not visible to members and fans.
If so it is disappointing to say the least .

Now for a retort. Let's see how this plays out.

Does anyone know how much other teams pay to use council owned grounds?

Don't quote me on this LOL But I don't think there is any other grounds managed by a council.
Lets Just Buy Brookie and a Few Houses around it and expand to make it bigger and better. Employ staff to look after the Grounds.

We know that this is the case but this is not the Publicity the Club needs just before the start of the year. Just another thing the other club wanker fans to throw back in our faces.
I hate how we are called the Manly Mongs and have you seen the latest photos of us on FarkBook

Whilst the Parramatta Eels area bout to aquire a brand new 32000 seat - state of the art stadium, fit for a king - FORAN@;), the Eagles have to hire their own lawnmower, to mow the lawns of our 1970's style dog track !

Which leads to the question - are the eels the new Silvertails ?

Last edited:
Whilst the Eels about to aquire a brand new 32000 state of the art stadium, fit for a king - FORAN@;), the Eagles have to hire their own lawnmower, to mow the lawns of our 1970's style dog track !

Which leads to the question - are the eels the new Silvertails ?
Lol but the Eels stadium is still in Parramatta aka Sydney's toilet.

Anyone who thinks a redevelopment will occur in Brookvale is kidding themselves. Rat Park is the only spot that has the size and surrounding grounds to accomodate it. Plus a willing council.

I don't know why the penns just don't come out and say our club deserves to play the bigger matches in a bigger stadium in front of 20,000-25,000 like games against parra, dogs, Souths, roosters etc.

I'm a bookie faithful but even I see the need to move 6 games a year away as long as we keep 6 at Brookie every year.

If he just took this to a members vote, I think it would go through and we wouldn't have to have all this crap to go through. The bottom line for the penns is to move games away and make more money.

The remaining 6 games could then be negotiated with council knowing we may make a better profit from playing at Allianz and Gosford.

Seems the penns are wanting the fans to join the war and get involved in the fight so then fans will say the penns had no choice but to move because of the council.

I still want to know if the last years rent was any different to previous years and why it it suddenly exorbitant since the penns took over?

They seem to be trying to build this up as a "we have no choice but to move" scenario when it was clearly their preferred option all along.

Last edited:
I bet the truth lies somewhere in the middle of the two extremes of this argument. It's short sighted to read Regan's response and take it all as gospel; the guy is a politician after all and he does drive a Jaguar.
It is up to kelly and the Penns to come out and respond ASAP.

Maybe they are waiting for the Fulton family to write the response. Cement truck for Regan.

He gives credit to the FC as being the ones responsible for only two games being played away from Brookie each year. If true it sounds like a good idea to support the FC as long as they comit to at least 10 games a year at brookie.

Can the Penns buyout the FC shares and dictate where games are played?

Thn how come manly council is going full steam ahead with their car park under manly oval?

How is that relevant? The issues are not quite the same. It seems highly unlikely that the Mayor of Warringah is making this stuff up.

Manly Council's plans for Manly Oval pre-date the recent changes mooted by the state government. Besides, they are not likely to commit any funding until the proposed merger is bedded down.

Sounds like the Penns and Kelly have been caught out with their phoney reason why they will move the games away from Brookie

I don't trust the owners which is a sad thing to say

They lost my trust a long time ago.

Anyone who thinks the Penns' are in this caper purely for the love of the club are delusional. The may genuinely be fans but they are all about trying to make the joint profitable. That in itself is fine with me. But they bought this club knowing the deal about our club colours, home ground etc and they must make it work under that arrangement.

Unfortunately for us taking games away from Brookvale and to larger stadiums is the only way forward for them. Crowd numbers don't affect the bottom line with that arrangement like they do at Brookie. The propaganda machine will be in overdrive for a long time to come until this comes to fruition.

How is that relevant? The issues are not quite the same. It seems highly unlikely that the Mayor of Warringah is making this stuff up.

Manly Council's plans for Manly Oval pre-date the recent changes mooted by the state government. Besides, they are not likely to commit any funding until the proposed merger is bedded down.
Manly council have not told anyone how much the carpark is going to cost and they have just asked for tenders to be submitted to construct the car park

I fail to see how a council can continue with committing ratepayers to a project that is going to be the largest amount of money ever spent by the council when amalgamations are underway.

The are also a huge cost to assess tenders etc that council has no idea how much it will be

Surely they have to put the process on hold until the merger has taken place as the new council may not want the carpark?

Does anyone know where this open letter from Michael Regan has come from. I cannot find it anywhere online.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4